It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Education For Virgins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Latest initiative from Uganda in the battle against AIDS. Free education for virgins. But this offer is only for girls not boys.

IOL: Virgins given incentives to further education

A Ugandan member of parliament has pledged to reward girls for their chastity by paying their university fees if they are virgins when they leave school, a local newspaper said on Wednesday.

Bbaale County MP Sulaiman Madada said any girl in his district who wanted to take part in the scheme aimed at promoting girls' education would be given a gynaecological examination by health workers to check they were virgins.

"The criterion is that a student must be a virgin and from Kayunga district," he told the state-owned New Vision.

The MP did not extend his offer to young men.

He urged pupils to manage their lives responsibly, and called on parents to explain the threats from HIV and Aids and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree that the battle against AIDS should be taken seriously. Free education might be a good solution. However only a few might be able to take advantage of this offer. If this will actually make more young girls keep their virginity is a good question. There are ways to cheat and make a non-virgin appear to be a virgin again...

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

There are ways to cheat and make a non-virgin appear to be a virgin again...

Yes there is. It’s an operation which probably cost about the same as the university fees and almost certainly not available in Ugandan.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So to promote virginity as a fight against AIDS, they are offering free education. Right?

Now. . . after the education I wonder how do they are to prevent the aids?

It was a time when couples used to get tested for RH factor or blue babies syndrome.

The government should make an issue to promote couples to test themselves before having sex to see if they have AIDS or not.

While abstinence is a way to promote health, sooner or later it will happen.

I believe testing is a plus.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now. . . after the education I wonder how do they are to prevent the aids?

Since educated people are (hopefully!) smarter than the average person, they should be less likely to engage in 'activities' that will put them at risk for AIDS.

It was a time when couples used to get tested for RH factor or blue babies syndrome.

Hmm, not sure what that has to do with AIDS (unless that is the same test they use) but that is a good point, although in my view, off-topic. Certain combinations of parent blood types/RH factors (I forget exactly how; I'm not a biology major) can cause blue baby syndrome in the 2nd or later pregnancies of the mother. It's something to do with the mother having a bunch of antibodies in their system leftover from the 1st pregnancy that then attack the baby's blood because it is a different type.

People should be getting tested for this sort of thing before having kids; it's just common sense. Since I'm not married, I have no idea if couples talk to their doctors about having kids beforehand (I hope they do). This could be done at the same time as AIDS/HIV/other tests, especially if one/both people has 'been around' a bit, and has a chance of having one or more of those diseases.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What about girls who have been raped?
Will the government deny them education because their innocence had been stolen?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ju stab urden
What about girls who have been raped?
Will the government deny them education because their innocence had been stolen?

Hmm, I never thought about that. I hope somebody did. Obviously, if someone is raped, they do not deserve to lose out on the free education the gov't is promising them. Here's the catch, though; how do you know if the girl has been chaste after the rape? It's virtually impossible. I have no idea how they are going to handle this scenario, but it will definitely come up, and probably quite soon.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
www.ipsnews.net...

changes like this is also do alot to prevent aids also...

"The judgement also answered the demands of a 2003 report by Human Rights Watch, "Just Die Quietly: Domestic Violence and Women's Vulnerability to HIV/AIDS in Uganda". The New York-based non-governmental organisation said that domestic violence in the East African country was making women vulnerable to contracting HIV, and that laws which hampered their ability to leave abusive relationships should be repealed."

another link.

www.hrw.org...

you can teach your abstinence only policy all you want but until you give EVERYONE the right to practice it, it's not gonna do much good!! your singing to only half the chorus, the fate of the other half is totally dependant on what the half that you sang to does.

www.hrw.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My point with the RH factor is that used to be for everybody. The testing was actually needed before a couple was to married.

Now with so many problems including AIDS, I think people should be more willing to be tested before having sex.

But we all know that is not so.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think it just a talk!

In African nation there are many coruption so it nearly impossible to have that sort of stuff espically in a nation that has a history in volience and coruption.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
com'n, this is gonna cost the goverment more than it is worth
a.test the women
b.sort out moral and ethical issuses

the money would be better spent raising awareness and changing african attiududes to AIDS and HIV.

the goverment is so corrupt though, the project will never take off.

top topics

join