It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain 'confirms' Iraq pullout plans.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Britian was likely to begin scaling back its forces in Iraq within the next 12 months, Defence Secretary John Reid said today.

"I believe it is a process that could start - no more than that - over the next 12 months," he told the US news channel CNN.
Mr Reid insisted Britain did not have "long-term imperialist ambitions" in Iraq and said US-led forces, which include around 8500 British troops, would only stay as long as needed.

He spoke after more than 110 Iraqis were killed and 300 wounded in a three-day suicide bombing blitz in Iraq. Three British soldiers died in a roadside bombing.

"The insurgency itself might go on a long, long time, so what we have to envisage is a transitional handover over a period of time so that the Iraqis themselves ... can gradually take control of their own security and counter-terrorism.

"But we will not be going unless and until they are in a position to do that, so it will be a conditional withdrawal, not set to any immutable timescale."

news.com.au
skynews

I guess that's what is called an 'each way bet'.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is simply a confirmation of what was already confirmed a bit while back.
Both the UK and the US are talking about reducing troops numbers [a systematic pull out] of Iraq within the time frame of 12-18 months. The UK is going with the minimum figure of 12 months, though they will still have troops there, just in smaller numbers.

As for the "insurgency itself," which is accompanied with acts of terrorism, continuing on after the last Coalition troops have left, that would make the assertion that some ATS members have stated as, "No Occupation, no Terrorism," incorrect, would it not?

seekerof

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
As for the "insurgency itself," which is accompanied with acts of terrorism, continuing on after the last Coalition troops have left, that would make the assertion that some ATS members have stated as, "No Occupation, no Terrorism," incorrect, would it not?

Not at all. I believe that even if the entire coalition left Iraq tomorrow, the situation would rapidly turn into a tribal revenge/power grab et al.

Look at general demographics...there's next to no effective police force, the people are not happy with their 'lot in life' and the simple things westerners take for granted such as a tap/faucet, electricity, sewage ect...oh, and don't forget unemployment.

I could go on.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It is obviously the ideal thing for them to say right now after the London Bombing, but I will believe it when I see it and not before.

In my opinion the US/UK dictators will stage a terrorist incident or other phony problem as an excuse for moving into Iran, and then the pullout will be cancelled 'with the deepest regret' or consist of moving over the border!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Are you trying to say that "IF the troops leave and IF the terrorism continues then certain ATS members will be incorrect" ?

If so that is very 'Iffy'

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
No occupation, no terrorism?
If we leave, then it'll be open season on the installed Iraqi Government. I don't think that we want this much progress to go down the drain.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
aaahhhs that much more better plan what!!! a great and lovely idea.the next step is be one of the country to help iraq in education,life social,and lot of thing can be done there rather than to creat an hatred among those peoples

my frenz teach those people love and they will love you back

remenber what NAPOLEON did while he try to invade egypt;open letter please

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
i seriously doubt that the new iraqi government would be able to "take control of their own security and counter-terrorism" within the next 12-18 months...

even with us led forces in iraq now these insurgency attacks are growing ever so frequently. imagine what would happen when everyone leaves...all hell will break loose? it would be a major major setback if a coup occurs and these fanatics takeover iraq...

so can the us and allies really afford to leave iraq? but is it going to be vietnam all over again...pulling the plug after many years, thousands of lives lost, and billions of dollars spent...

oh...is a permanent us military base in iraq out of the question?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The UK are going to be pulling out around 5500 troops from Iraq.

I mentioned this a while back, and i also said that they would end up going into Afghanistan. At the moment, i believe this to be true, and could be happening in the next 6 months.

Watch this space eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
We're leaving? All I can say is that it has yet to be confirmed by the British defence secretary George W Bush. But if true when can we get started?

According to some people Iraq (like a cake rising with TNT in the oven) just isn't ready yet.
All I can say is look we found these people democracy and the majority of the population are fundamentalist Muslims. So a fundamentalist government is in the waiting.
So will they ever be ready? But then we found them democracy and legitimacy that comes with it.

Many people hate us because of the sanctions and also because of war itself. They hate us because of the way the occupation is being conducted 80% of Fullahga flattened or something like that. So will they be ready?
But we bombed the place and used the Depleted Uranium shells.

Meanwhile 23 terrorist and resistance organisations sees Western troops and reads "let’s get them!!!”
So the question is are we ready?
Why sacrifice our time, blood and money any longer? Don't US people have social security problems and we the British a fear of tax rises?

Are they ready? I'm ready and most Iraqis want us out. So to my mind that means their ready too. Unless we want to find a man like Saddam with whom we can do business with we have no further purpose. Training Iraqi forces is one thing that can go on forever. Occupation is quite another matter.

top topics

join