It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's president vows to help restore Iraqi stability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Iran to the rescue?

Is it possible that a former enemy of Iraq could now help restore security in the now war torn nation? There are insurgents and terrorists in Iraq seeking to create a sectarian war between Sunnis and Shiites. Over just the last two days scores have been killed in suicide attacks in the Baghdad area. One attack on a Shiite mosque killed over 90, and more than 150 people were wounded.

The Iranian President now vows to help restore Iraqi stability.

Tehran "will do its utmost" to restore stability in its Shiite neighbor.

Link

Mohammad Khatami offered Iran's cooperation while meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari, who is making the first visit by an Iraqi head of government since Saddam Hussein was ousted in 2003.

Khatami said al-Jaafari's visit would be a turning point in bilateral relations between the two countries after the war that killed more than 1 million people.

"The security and stability of both countries are interrelated," state-run radio quoted Khatami as saying upon meeting al-Jaafari, who arrived in Tehran on Saturday.

"Tehran will do its utmost for the restoration of stability and security" in Iraq, said pro-reformist Khatami, whose eight-year tenure ends next month.

U.S. and Iraqi officials have called on Iran to guard its borders better and prevent militants from entering Iraq to fight American-led coalition and Iraqi security forces.

From a US perspective, do we want Iran involved in these affairs within Iraq?

Is it possible for Iran to step in and help restore stability in Iraq?

I believe there could be a more sinister agenda at work, Iran would love nothing more than to have Iraq become a Shiite majority run nation. It is clear that Iraq is at or very near a civil war between Sunnis and Shiites. Ever really wonder if Iran could be helping create this war as a means to make this latest offer to help restore stability?

It seems the war on terrorism and mainly the war in Iraq has opened a void and liberated terrorist supporting regimes with a goal of national domination. Iran is a democracy, and has learned how to exploit the democratic system to its own fanatical end. And if given the chance the Iranians will do the same in Iraq.

ESP

[edit on 17-7-2005 by EvilSockPuppet]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hang on....I thought Iran had a new President?

Even if he isn't sworn in yet, why is the outgoing President promising help when he effectively will have no authority pretty soon. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is taking over pretty soon:

Here is a Country profile, so Khatami isn't even going to be able to do anything anyway.

BBC Country profile...Iran

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think Iran can help by securing their border, and calling home all of their terror-causing government agents. They can stop funding al-Sadr as well. Then they can turn over all of the al Qaida terrorists whom they have in their posession.

They should also dismantle all Hezbollah terror cells in North America. They can take responsibility for their attacks on American interests over the past 3 decades in Beiruit, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere. They can officially close the doors of Hezbollah and withdrawl all support, both financially and morally, of Palestinian terrorists.

Finally, they can give up their quest for nuclear weapons and even nuclear power. They can hold free and fair elections which are monitored by the UN (about the only thing they're any good at). They can free their political prisoners. They can let their citizens celebrate Valentine's Day! lol

That's just a START. If Iran really cares about helping and cares about the security of their nation and their regime, then they'll take some of or all of the above mentioned steps!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
When did iran get tossed in the mix.. I have no idea but i dont even like the idea of a nuclear muslim nation coming into this war. We just need to continue protecting israel from her enemies,,, which is the real reason we are over there. I dont see iran coming into play though.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Rasputin, whislt you make some good points (and they apply to many nations, not just Iran), i feel your being unfair on these points:

Finally, they can give up their quest for nuclear weapons and even nuclear power. They can hold free and fair elections which are monitored by the UN (about the only thing they're any good at). They can free their political prisoners. They can let their citizens celebrate Valentine's Day!

Nuclear Weapons, fair point, they can stop that (if they are developing Weapons) but to demand they stop pursuing Nuclear Power is wrong, as it is every nations right. Granted, there are issues with Iran and Nuclear Power, but you cannot make that demand on them.

And St Valentines day is a Christian festival (if that, personally, i think it as a commercial ploy to boost sales after Christmas, why be romantic on one day of the year and not the others?). Would you want to celebrate Ramadan? Would you care if you couldn't?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Conspiracy slant: I suppose that when you [Iran] control, permit, and support the vast amount of foreign terrorists that are infiltrating into Iraq, and causing the problems and terrorist acts, its easy to assert and claim that "we" [Iran] vow to help restore stability in Iraq.

seekerof

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
YES iran does control alot of the harboring and placement of terrorists cells in the middle east . But imo the biggest threat to America (or any true believer of christianty) and also Isr@el.. is a muslim state that has access to WMD. I believe that iran is the ""think tank"" for terrorist activity , and iraq was just a training ground and one of (if not the most) biggest financers of terror. Cut off the flow of income and you dont have much..

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I think Iran can help by securing their border, and calling home all of their terror-causing government agents. They can stop funding al-Sadr as well. Then they can turn over all of the al Qaida terrorists whom they have in their posession.

They should also dismantle all Hezbollah terror cells in North America. They can take responsibility for their attacks on American interests over the past 3 decades in Beiruit, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere. They can officially close the doors of Hezbollah and withdrawl all support, both financially and morally, of Palestinian terrorists.

Finally, they can give up their quest for nuclear weapons and even nuclear power. They can hold free and fair elections which are monitored by the UN (about the only thing they're any good at). They can free their political prisoners. They can let their citizens celebrate Valentine's Day! lol

That's just a START. If Iran really cares about helping and cares about the security of their nation and their regime, then they'll take some of or all of the above mentioned steps!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Nice

[edit on 17-7-2005 by evanfitz]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The topic should read, "Iran provides instability to Iraq." The newly elected President is the same bastard who held American hostages in 79.

Sep

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
The topic should read, "Iran provides instability to Iraq." The newly elected President is the same bastard who held American hostages in 79.

No he wasnt. I think it was already mentioned that it wasnt. However if you mention somethng enough times people would believe it.

Sep

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I think Iran can help by securing their border, and calling home all of their terror-causing government agents.

Yeah, you know all those Sunni mosques being blown up by evil Shia Iran, its all their fault.

Originally posted by Rasputin13They can stop funding al-Sadr as well. Then they can turn over all of the al Qaida terrorists whom they have in their posession.

Right after the US turns over all the MKO members it has in its position. But and al-Sadr was calmed down by the Iranian al-Sistani, and hasnt made a noise for over a year now.

Originally posted by Rasputin13They should also dismantle all Hezbollah terror cells in North America.

Can you tell me how many cells there are or is this just mere speculation on your part?

Originally posted by Rasputin13They can take responsibility for their attacks on American interests over the past 3 decades in Beiruit, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere.

After US take the responsibility of providing help to Saddam for killing hunderds of thousands of Iranians and shooting down an Iranian jet liner killing over 100 people on board including over 60 children.

Originally posted by Rasputin13They can officially close the doors of Hezbollah and withdrawl all support, both financially and morally, of Palestinian terrorists.

Right after you withdraw all you support for the people undermining Iran. Hand over all the MKO members, remove you support for Israel and then we can call it even.

Originally posted by Rasputin13Finally, they can give up their quest for nuclear weapons and even nuclear power.

Right after the US destroys its huge stockpile of WMDs and destroys all its nuclear reactors and stop the production of electricity using nuclear technology.

Originally posted by Rasputin13They can hold free and fair elections which are monitored by the UN (about the only thing they're any good at). They can free their political prisoners. They can let their citizens celebrate Valentine's Day! lol

I like the valentines day idea. The political prisoners should be freed I agree, and new laws should be written regarding the enrolment into the presidential race. However this has nothing to do with the topic or Iran's pledge to help stabilize Iraq.

Originally posted by Rasputin13That's just a START. If Iran really cares about helping and cares about the security of their nation and their regime, then they'll take some of or all of the above mentioned steps!

I must have missed a joke there. I disagreed with most of the post but I agree with you that greater social and political freedoms should be internally aquired by the Iranians.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I believe there could be a more sinister agenda at work, Iran would love nothing more than to have Iraq become a Shiite majority run nation.

Now where is your evidence of that?

new topics

top topics

join