It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fuel Tanker Suicide Attack Kills 98 In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
An overnight suicide bombing has killed at least 98 Iraqis in the town of Musayyib, South of Baghdad. The bomber ignited a fuel tanker in the highway town devastating the area around the attack. This is the worst attack since the new Iraqi government took power in April.

newsbox.msn.co.uk
A suicide bomber blew up a fuel truck near a crowded vegetable market outside the mosque. In addition to the 98 killed, hospital sources said 75 wounded were being treated, including 19 in a serious condition.

Some 15 suicide bombers have struck within just over 48 hours in the capital and along the highway heading south in what al Qaeda's Iraq wing has declared is a new campaign to seize control of Baghdad.

"The police banned trucks from entering Musayyib, yet they let in a fuel tanker. This is crime! The police are all agents (of the insurgency)," shouted one man.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why was the tanker allowed into the town when no other traffic could enter?

Another terrible day in Iraq!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Holy Crap!

98 dead, thats bad...very,very sad

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I assume the tanker was allowed to enter the town under the premise that it was to refill or 'top up' a petrol/gasoline station.

This statement really stood out to me,

The police are all agents (of the insurgency)," shouted one man.

A very tragic event, but was this man making a statement in the chaos and emotion of the aftermath, or is this a growing consensus among the Iraqi people?

If the police are starting to be regarded as agents, what hope is there?

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is tragic, and sounds like an escalation of the insurgency.

Saturday's bombing prompted denunciations of the authorities in parliament and calls for local militia to take up arms.

"The police banned trucks from entering Musayyib, yet they let in a fuel tanker. This is crime! The police are all agents (of the insurgency)," shouted one man.

It sounds like the insurgents are getting what they want. This is the kind of chaos they thrive on.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Another bombing, another suicide attack, another act of wanton violence against anybody who just happened to be in the area. Terrorist actions by anybody simply can't be tolerated if society is to function. We can't let the crazies take over the world. I suppose from another point of view though, they already have.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I still just don't understand why civilian Iraqis are targetted. What do they hope to gain? You don't win the hearts and minds of your countrymen by killing them. I don't think anyone has ever been "scared" into changing their belief system. Also, what is the difference between a terrorist and an insurgent? I always thought an insurgent strikes military targets and terrorists strike innocents. These folks sure seem to be terrorists but the damn left wing media seems to be afraid to use the term.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Apoc]

top topics

join