It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning to P2P users.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'm sure all of you don't need me to tell you that virus risks are high when using P2P.
I wanted to warn about the P2P worm. It is found in all sorts of searches on P2P. They are found in Zip files that only contain setup.exe. I believe the file size was around 800 ks.
The worm creates a folder with fake files and shares them on your P2P program. It also opens your program and shares these fake files infecting more systems. When you close your P2P program it will open back up.

This could be a virus created by those opposed to file sharing. But that is just speculation

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
damn I've got this then, I was wondering why *cough* an application *cough* kept reopening

Thanks for the info

EDIT: i've dealt with it on my computer

[edit on 16-7-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You use p2p software....your bad people! Just kidding, I've used Limewire a couple times. Thanks for the warning.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by JBurns]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Not the first time there have been viruses targetting just P2P networks. But I use Linux solely now, so I dont get many, if any, bugs. Plus, I dont download programs from P2P networks, besides BitTorrent.

[edit on 7-16-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Ever use torrentspy.com? I've looked around there before, never got anything. I run Windows on my Notebooks and Desktops, but I have a personal PHP testing server that runs linux. The server seems to be defect-free, whereas my Windows machines......aren't (to say the least).

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I'm sure all of you don't need me to tell you that virus risks are high when using P2P.
I wanted to warn about the P2P worm. It is found in all sorts of searches on P2P. They are found in Zip files that only contain setup.exe. I believe the file size was around 800 ks.
The worm creates a folder with fake files and shares them on your P2P program. It also opens your program and shares these fake files infecting more systems. When you close your P2P program it will open back up.

This could be a virus created by those opposed to file sharing. But that is just speculation

OMG, thanx for da warning!

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Also, if anyone needs help removing the worm just send me a U2U

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The file size is exactly 851.7KB and it will come up on loads of searches under various names. Also if you search for Limewire PRO on the programs menu you can download it

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I had this virus at one point in time. Took me abotu 30 minutes of removing all the files while in safe mode. Scanning my computer and removing the virus. Do some other stuff in safe mode. And it stopped botherign me right after that.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The one time I accidentely downloaded it halfway through the donload I got a warning and cancelled it. Thank the good people at McAfee

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The rule, as always, is to keep on top of your anti-virus, anti-trojan and anti-spyware updates.....and regularly scan your computer and use them.
By it's very nature this is a reactive thing and the fight is always 'on'.

Also check for updates for your browser (Mozilla and Firefox recently had problems that needed updates to solve) and of course Windows usually chucks out some new fixes every 2nd tuesday of the month.

Sorry if it's a little basic but you'd be amazed at the numbers of folks who just don't bother (and then - if they're lucky - notice something odd, their computer is a bit slow, investigate and find that they have joined the 'zombie' legions. They at least can do something about it.
If you don't even notice.......and remember the whole point is that you don't and these bits of code can just work away......).

[edit on 10-10-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes, finally someone mentioned about this worm. We have been tracking it for months now and I was going to put out a formal warning for it. Umbrax bet me to it.

Here are a few details about this P2P worm:

Name: W32/Alcan.worm!p2p
File Size: 851.7 KB
Risk Factor: Unknown
Notes: This is a worm that spreads across the P2P network. It is contained in a zip file and assumes many file names. This file usually has a file size of 851.7 Kilobytes. Creates new files based on incoming keywords to spread the worm.

That's a base summary on my observations. I don't know what damage it can do yet.

Avoid downloading any file that seems too small and use common sense.

GoldEagle

new topics

top topics

join