It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God gave us a brain....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Then why do they say we use only a third of our brain. Why dont we use all of it?
Is there a resond that we dont use all our brain? Why is it some people like Einstein, Newton, for example use so much more of their brain then the modern man? or did they? How do they determine how much brain we use?
God gave Man a brain, so why are we only limited to a third of it? whats blocking us to use it all?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
They don't know. Made up information. If we only used 1/3 of the brain, the other 2/3 would die off.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I always thought the saying was "We only use 10 percent of our brain", but even that's not true. If we didn't use ALL of our brain, then why would those parts be there? If we only do use 10 percent, then it's safe to say that we can remove the other 90 percent, right?

The heart beating does not count towards the 10 percent of brain that we use at a given time, but if you didn't have that part, then you would die. The subconscious and unconscious mind, where memories are and hidden desires can be found, that doesn't count as 10 percent either, but they are still there and a very important part of the brain.

If we used all of our brain then we would have constant seizures because the electricty would be too great and cause the brain to completely freak out of control.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
"If the brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we could not." Lyall Watson
I agree with the previous points, that it would be too hard on it to use it all at once.
It would be like driving a car with the gas pedal to the floor all the time, the engine constantly revving at redline wouldn't last long.
Our hearts are far more important than our brains are for a happy life anyway, imho.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
For the same reason we only use a small percentage of our souls or our hearts. It gives meaning to the phrase "We're (I'm) only human."
Not a one of us is even near borderline perfect, which IMO makes it fun.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
dunno.

I dunno if they are right about the 1/3 or 10%.

Maybe the other 2/3 was intended for use as storage/memory space? If the long ages that people lived in Genesis was still going today 300-1000 years...how much brain would you need for storage of memory?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So Jake, do you think God gave us the other 2/3 for memory?
Only one portion of the brain is used for memory. Example, People with Alzheimers lose their memory banks, but other parts of the brain funtion normal. We need a brain expert in here I suppose.
I was just wondering what was blocking us to use the other part of the brain we do not use. ( or is their).

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Turbonegro, You post made alot of sense. I would have to agree with you on this part. Good Job. Thanks for your in-put

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Here is the Quran in some brain

www.jalyat.net...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I always thought there was something a bit fishy with this one. It made no sense that brain matter (As exremely valuable as it is and impotant as it is) would sit there housed in your bones waiting to be "unlocked".

While I do beleive the mind is capable of man great things, even things we do not understand; from what I have gathered in readings is the 10% saying is false. We in fact use much more of our brain at any given time.

Below are some excepts from an article written a while back I came across that might help to answer some questions...

Imaging the Active Brain

"In addition to clinical evidence, brain imaging methods appear to refute the 10% brain use statement. For example, positron emission tomography (PET) scans show that much of the brain is active during many different tasks. Often when brain scans are published, they have been manipulated to show relative amounts of brain activity rather than absolute activity. This graphical presentation of the data shows differences in brain activity. Therefore, it may appear that some areas of the brain are inactive when, in fact, they were active, but at a lower level compared to other sites. Brain scans only show activity for the carefully designed isolated tasks being tested, such as memory or visual processing. They do not show activity related to other untested abilities. Imagine the brain is a restaurant kitchen. If you looked in on the kitchen at one time, you may see the chef preparing salad. However, you may not know that the main course is cooking in the oven. Similarly, if you image the brain during a visual task, you will not see the other patterns of activity associated with performing different (simultaneous) tasks."

Evolution and Development Weigh In

"From an evolutionary perspective, it is unlikely that a brain that is 90% useless would develop. The brain is an expensive organ to maintain and utilizes a large supply of the body's energy resources. Certainly there are redundant pathways that serve similar functions. This redundancy may be a type of "safety mechanism" should one pathway for a specific function fail. Still, functional brain imaging studies show that all parts of the brain function. Even during sleep, the brain is active. The brain is still being "used"; it is just in a different active state."

Here is the direct link to the article, iteresting read but this is about the gist of it...

www.brainconnection.com.../brain-myth

enjoy....

[edit on 16-7-2005 by TrueWisdom]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
If we used 1/3 of our brain we would be way ahead of einstein. we only use 3-4% of our brain the rest is there for us to unlock einstein probably used around 5-7% of his brain and also he had many cleaning "agents"(dont know the name) in his brain which swept away any trash(toxins, dead rain cells etc.) and he was like a kid in some aspects he didnt put restrictions and beliefs infront of his thinking.
I believ in the futur they will make or already made something that unlocks the brains capacity to higher levels i dont think we can use 100% of the brain if we did we would have to be concious of our reathing stomachacids everything!! we would go mad and in our sleep we couldnt control our bodies healing process . any questions?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Sorry folks, this is nothing more then an urban legend. Check out the real story behind it here: 10% of brain use

You use ALL of your brain, Though i'm sure I have many relatives and friends that doubt that when it comes to me personally

Wupy

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
There is the case that when people have double personality or even multiple personality how does the brain works and does he remeber what he has done?Does he use the same 10% of the brain?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
From what I've seen on one of the Documentary channels (I don't remember which one, because it's been several years since I saw the particular program about this), we actually do use all of our brains. The normally autonomous functions, such as the areas that govern the use of our senses & to keep our organs functioning is always *in use* as long as we live...

The rest of our brains, the areas that govern cognigtive thought & emotional reactions, get put to use every time we stop to think about something that our senses experience. The main difference about how our brains work is more based upon gender than any other primary factor:
When males think, EKG readings show that men usually think in terms of "reason" *or* "intuition" (Either the right hemisphere does most of the work or the left brain does). For women, the EKG's show that both hemispheres "share" the work between them...Which is why the old homily about "women's intuition" has such a strong stereotype.

Yet, in both cases of gender, the *amount* of overall EKG activity is similar...It's just that women tend to use both hemispheres while men usually apply one or the other to solve problems.

So the next time a woman mentions something like, "He's got half a mind to...", then you can tell her that it's true...But give me a different problem to solve & I'll get the other half of my mind to work too.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This is most Certainly an urban legend.

I read "http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm" And it doesn't mention...

Well I was under the impression that this misconception came from a quote that was taken from a psychologist that was experimenting on rats....and it was transfered to humans, and then bastardised futher it seems....

Oh well.....My parents gave me my brain, not god Thank you

jlb

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I "think"
humans have the potenial to do alot more than we think and we have seen plenty examples of this people through out history, people doing amazing thing phycics, healers, all the way down to folks who slow there heart beat, ect if anybody has seen the Kurt Camron movies tribulation ect ....thats what there about...the antichrist getting people to use all there potention(brians) to make things happen and to seem like a god
jus like the nephilm taught majic to folks in the old testimont ..........
some things we just should not know..... or it will lead to destruction....

imo knowledge is power... at a certain point the quest for knowledge turns
to quest for power and evenually it turns u away from god ....

which ain't a good thing imo........

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
From what I've read, Einstein did indeed have a very uncommonly structured brain. His Corpus Callosum, excuse my spelling if its off, the structure that connects the left and right lobes was unusually large. His brain was not at all large, though, and I think it was actually quite small. So, if I recall correctly, the theory is that his brains much enlarged capacity to communicate between lobes was a possible source of his intellectual prowess.
Then again, I also read that he gave his wife the entire monetary reward that he received when he won the Nobel Prize, which was a small fortune. His explanation of the credit for the ground breaking advances in physics that he published named his partner as a 'collaborater' in their discovery and development. This word implies a joint responsibility, and gives her a great deal of the credit, far more than if he had said that she had 'assisted', or 'supported' his work. She may have actually come up with E = MC sq. ......

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlb
I "think"
humans have the potenial to do alot more than we think and we have seen plenty examples of this people through out history, people doing amazing thing phycics, healers, all the way down to folks who slow there heart beat, ect

Even these people aren't really using more of their brains than anybody else...They just learn how to gain consious control over those areas of the brain that normally function autonomously.

jlb

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
maby those will be the first to to unlock the secret ..........

for example rasputin (sp) dude had a gift and the still really can't explain
how he was healing those people or he predicted the death of his betrayers........and he did all his works in gods name then.....then at night
he would would get drunk and smash anything with a pee hole......then the next day he do amazing things in gods name but still at night he would act like Rick James
..........hence the more u know /more you use your brain its easyer to to follow the wrong path ......heck if we where dumb like Adam and Eve where suppose to be before that dang serpent we would have that utpia everybody wants........ in the wrong hands knowledege turns to power , power to greed, and before u know you're workin 4 the devil/and or doing bad things ........just a thought

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think Adam an Woman were not as smart as we think they were, ok so
he did name all the animals.( how much brain power is this) Now the Serpent, well he may not have been that bad after all, think now he knew they were naked and they did`nt, so
this goes to show he knew more then them! and he did show them the differance between right and wrong. so God made them this great brain to use and they didnt even know they were naked.

and they did not know right from wrong? and then get this, they get punished for being able to use this great brain.
that God gave them?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join