It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should science be studying UFO witnesses?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
With all good investigations, it's important for the investigators and detectives to ask the right questions. Perhaps modern science needs to ask different questions about ufo sightings, aliens, and abductions. Perhaps a more appropriate question would be: Why do certain people see ufo's and some don't. Why are particular individuals abducted?

Maybe the most interesting phenomenon is why human beings would conjour up these fantastic sightings? If ufo's are figments of our imaginations, then why do we do it? Why do we produce these hallucinations in the first place only to be tormented (and most are) by the memories thereafter? Why does the human imagination produce such spectacular figments with the peculiar similarities of most ufo sightings?
Why make up a story that you know will only be met with ridicule and people rolling their eyes in disbelief?

The standard answers don't work for me. Obviously, many ufo witnesses are mentally ill with schizophrenia, various psychoses, bi-polar disorder, or paranoid, etc., and some are just jerking us around. It's only after you account for the obvious that you are left with hundreds of reasonable people that have experienced a very unusual phenomenon in and of itself. The real mystery is why do they do it?

Personally speaking, if it's all in my imagination, I can't think of any advantage that I've eeked out of conjouring up the 4 ufo's that I've seen. If that's what is happening in my psyche and in the thousands of other eye-witnesses to ufo's, then the study should begin right there. If it's true my amazingly fertile imagination produced these illusions, I haven't been able to comprehend what benefit or "take home message" I should be feeling. What I feel is frustrated, exasperated, and driven to try to make sense of what I saw by reading everything I can about the subject and searching for answers. Seeing these ufo's is always in the back of my mind.

In addition, I'd like to say "thanks alot" to modern science and the medical community (forget the government in this equation) and all the self described "Einstein's" (no offense, Albert) that offer up their lame brained answers and empty conclusions that ignore the bigger questions and the deeper meaning that will continue to escape us all as long as the current mentality persists. Footnote: I don't see it changing any time soon.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
They have.....

Both skeptics and believers have studied this....

See the works of J. Allen Hyneck, Jaques Valles (spelling), Friedman, etc. etc.
All trained and degreed scientists, as well as many others I haven't mentioned...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Gazrok,

Specifically, what was the conclusion of Hyneck, Valles, Friedman, etc., regarding why an average citizen human would conjour up a ufo?

By the way, my questions were all rhetorical. Nothing to date answers why adequately. I was hoping for some contemporary thoughts on the phenomenon of ufo witnesses...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well.. imho... significant advances in lie detection should be implemented on all UFO witnesses who agree to it, and professional up-to-date interrogation techniques should be used.

(and no - this does not include torture, tortutre rarely produces reliable results - it just give sadists sick enjoyment)

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
TruthMagnet,

I've heard Israel has new technology that can detect in your voice if you are lying about something. Law enforcement in the US doesn't have it or use yet that I know of. Not that I would line up and subject myself to interrogation, HA!

The sheer volume of reports throughout history are very compelling. Also, many witnesses are quite credible.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Gazrok,

Specifically, what was the conclusion of Hyneck, Valles, Friedman, etc., regarding why an average citizen human would conjour up a ufo?

By the way, my questions were all rhetorical. Nothing to date answers why adequately. I was hoping for some contemporary thoughts on the phenomenon of ufo witnesses...

The long explanation is in their books, but the short of it is this...

Hyneck and Friedman both are aware of a government coverup. Indeed, Hyneck was once part of it, as many know, in Project Bluebook, before becoming a UFOlogist.

There are many reasons why some would conjure up a story though. Some seek publicity. Many researchers encountered this with a few false witnesses in cases like Roswell, etc. Then there are the complete media hounds like Adamski, Meier, etc.

Jaques had another theory as well. He blamed it more on mass hysteria and media programming...triggered by underlying psychological problems, and other such psycho-babble.... Needless to say, from my own experiences involving loved ones, I do not put a lot of stock in psychology. The workings of the mind are an art form, not a science. Science depends on replicating the same result, etc. Such is not possible with the mind, for people are different, and what works for one doesn't work for another all the time.

But, not to get off on that tangent....

The bottom line is there are many different reasons for witnesses nowadays to come forward. That is one reason why I go back to the old, dusty cases. At the time, many such motivations didn't exist....so we can concentrate more on the facts.

new topics

top topics

join