It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tatooine Exists!!!!!!"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A new planet has the honour of being the first classed as a "Tatooine Planet". The planet is in a system with three suns.
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 14/7/05 by The Block]

[edit on 14/7/05 by The Block]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
What's a "Tatooine"? I never heard that term used before in astronomy. Can someone explain what it is?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ummm I think from what other people tell me "Tatooine" is a planet on Star Trek? Star Wars? One of those I think. It's like a desert planet or something like that

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
"Tatooline"

In Star Wars,the planet where "jet pod" racing takes place.......

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Tatooine only had two suns though, not three.

It's the planet where Anikin Skywalker grew up and later where Obi-Wan Kenobi took Luke Skywalker for safety to live with his Aunt and Uncle.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
WOW. I figured that almost everyone who read the Space Exploration forum would at least have some knowledge on Star Wars or even Star Trek.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vheod
WOW. I figured that almost everyone who read the Space Exploration forum would at least have some knowledge on Star Wars or even Star Trek.

LOL ya I was thinking the same. Heres a CNN Link

www.cnn.com...

BTW didnt Tatooline only have 2 suns if I recall.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I bet it gets hot as crotch in the summertime.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So yet another kink in the "Standard Model" of planet formation pops up heh. This goes to show you that even trinary systems can be stable and have planets with stable orbits. Of course the chances of us finding any more planets in that System is low due to the high level of ambient sunlight in the area and the complex gravitational riptides etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You didn't know tatooine exists? You've obviously never been to Palm Springs. Nice of them to name a planet in honor of my home town though.

I'm not just saying it's a desert either. We've got it all. The jawas (tweakers), the storm troopers (BLM- that's a long story), and of course the wretched hive of scum and villany- it used to be called the Iron Horse, but I think somebody bought it recently.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I call dibs on the first dewback ride!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You wouldn't like what passes for a dewback around here... that would be my uncle harold. If I post the details on him I'll probably get warned- either because the mods will think its a lie or because it's simply grotesque.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'd like to race the pods personally, but i bet i'd turn myself into a wet stain on the sand

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
When I lived in Saudi, it was pretty similar to how Tatooine looked....(minus the second sun)....

Of course, since it was filmed in Tunisia, that isn't all that surprising...
Space enthusiasts not being up on Star Wars? Hypocracy!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
A great model for gravity can be found here. It shows that, however unlikely, most anything is possible if you're lucky enough.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I never seen the first half of star wars, I always catch it when it's half done on TV. Always at the part when they begin to fire up the Death Star. Mabey I should rent it. You people tend to make alot of references to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think George Lucas invented Tatooween to have two suns, not three. So if this newly discovered system is said to contain three suns then it matches the imagination of Jim Henson. Jim Henson created a movie called The Dark Crystal which takes place on an alien world which is in orbit around three suns. The suns appear different sizes from this planet and overlap in a ring pattern when they are in conjunction. Every one thousand years these suns line up over a castle with a giant crystal at its heart.

The opening words to the story goes as follows (The Crystal Method Alternate rock group includes part of this introduction in their song called 'Trip Like I do'):

'Another world, another time,
In the age of wonder.
A thousand years ago this land was green and good,
Until the crystal cracked.
For a single piece was lost,
A shard of the crystal.
Then strife began.
And two new races appeared:
The cruel Skeksis,
The gentle Mystics.

Now the Skeksis gather in the sacred chamber where the crystal hangs above a shaft of air and fire. The Skeksis with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled, yet now there are only ten. A dying race ruled by a dying emporor, imprisoned within themselves in a dying land. Today once more they gather at the crystal, as the first sun climbs to its peak. For this is the way of the Skeksis, as they ravage the land, so too they learn to draw new life from the sun. Today once more they will replenish themselves, cheat death again, through the power of their source, their treasure, their fate, the Dark Crystal.'

On a side note, Jim Henson became very depressed after this movie because the public did not appreciate the effort he put into this movie. There are only a few of us who really took note of this effort.

The Crystal Method introduction to 'Trip Like I do' goes as follows:

'Another World, another time,
in the age of wonder,
Another world, another time,
this land was green and good,
until the crystal cracked.

Once more they will replenish themselves,
cheat death again,
through the power of their source,
the crystal.'

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
the dark crystal was my favourite movie as a kid...

anyways

all that aside. What about the sirius star system?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I really liked the sounds the vulture guy made in the dark crystal thats what i remember most from when i saw it as a kid. on topic- tatooine has 2 suns, and most of you people should go watch the original Star Wars now, thats embarrising if you haven't seen it.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I watched Star Wars and now I get it. Tatooine has two suns. It must be very hot at noon there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join