It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US & NK: Nuclear standoff

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Folks this is a nuclear STANDOFF. If mistakes are made it could trigger a nuclear war. Why are only a few people concerned about this?

The nuclear standoff began in October when U.S. officials said North Korea acknowledged having a secret nuclear weapons program in violation of international agreements.

www.newsday.com...

Things are already heading up as of yesterday Aug 18 according to the NY times:

Accentuating North Korea's isolation, a South Korean navy patrol boat fired five rounds today at a North Korean fishing boat, which entered what South Korea considers its territorial waters.

With North Korea's news agency complaining of surveillance by "American spy planes," Mr. Kim may feel that his train, moving slowly across the countryside, would provide his enemies with an easy target.

www.nytimes.com...

We have multiple national threats at this time, at least given the evidence available to the public.

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think everyone here is pretty concerned. Most people though...they don't know much about the situation due to the lack of media coverage.

I mean, it's there if you go looking for it, but it's by now means reported on Fox news : NUCLEAR STANDOFF NOW, GET IN YOUR BUNKERS NOW!

Only when people see a nuke destroy a huge city will they be concerned.

" Whoa, that came outta nowhere... " yea.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
"Bring 'em on."--George W. Bush

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This coming from the president of Japan's National Defense Academy: It appears that NK has been purchasing "technologies". Scalar weapons anyone?

Last month, using the excuse of stricter safety regulations, Japan succeeded in temporarily shutting down the visit to Japan of a North Korean ferry that allegedly was being used as a spy ship and for the illegal purchases of technologies.

www.aljazeerah.info... htm

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I dont think we have quite reached 'cuban missle crisis' level. Though we certainly could soon. I'm not worried because there isnt # I can do about it anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   
can any one say Cold War 2?

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just reminds me of just how little we have evolved. After thousands and thousands of years we are still doing the same sh!t we did in the beginning. Killing eachother...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oh good. And who gets the deciding vote...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think standoff is a bit of an extreme word to use under these circumstances.
It would be like your grandma vs. the dallas cowboys... some standoff.

If NK had actually TESTED a nuke or even the delivery system to reach the US I guess you could say standoff. As it stands they have tested neither.
My biggest concern is for the people of S Korea if Kim just completely loses it. Even conventionally the death toll would be horrendous.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think I am going to have to go with Thorfinn on this one....especially his second post comments.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The link I posted written by the President of Japan's National Defense Academy doesn't appear to be working. The story can be found by going into google and typing:

"North Korea is a Trojan Horse"

Sorry for inactive link.

As Langolier mentioned, there isn't anything
we can do about this situation. We have to have faith in our leaders to pull us through. However, I get a little nervous when I see clusters of our top-ranking leaders running away from Washington. What aren't we being told?

I suspect that there is a cat-and-mouse game occurring right now, probably in the military intelligence arenas of all of the involved countries.

I wonder the true origin of that blaster worm.... its coinciding with the recent electrical blackout.... and then the release of a "good" worm (employment of an NSA defensive measure?):

Meanwhile, a new �good Samaritan� version of the worm was released. Dubbed �Welchia,� this worm actually deletes MSBlaster and attempts to install the proper security patch on vulnerable machines.

www.msnbc.com...

How 'bout them apples?

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If North Korea isn't involved in World War 3, no one will be. This has been going on for a while now.......the climax shouldn't be too far away. As soon as "Kim" loses one more fragment of sanity, the world is entering a new dark age........thats what I'm expecting. Bush has bit off more than he can chew......I think Bush is mistaken if he thinks this will be like the last cold war. "Kim" is less rational than any other leader since Hitler, and he's probably even more insane. I think he's probably quite "Trigger Happy" with his red buttons....

I hope I'm wrong...........but most of it is undeniable

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You must always ask in these situations, "Where are the aircraft carriers?"

Global Security will give you part of the story.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And a bit more on the "scenerio" in NK:

"The Next Korean War"
www.opinionjournal.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It would be like your grandma vs. the dallas cowboys... some standoff.
If NK had actually TESTED a nuke or even the delivery system to reach the US I guess you could say standoff. As it stands they have tested neither.

Well, my use of the word standoff was meant to represent the fact that North Korea and the US likely have their nuclear weapons aimed at each other.

Btw your example is funny!! I respond..If my grandma had a nuke and each of the dallas cowboys had a nuke, both sides would be in a stalemate, because only ONE of these weapons of mass destruction would be needed to inflict severe loss of life.

In terms of how far these weapons have flown in the past..

As Dragonrider mentioned in this thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

03-04-2003 17:27
The warhead of a long-range missile test-fired by North Korea was found in the U.S. state of Alaska, a report to the National Assembly revealed yesterday.

times.hankooki.com...

Dragonrider also pointed out on 7/3/2003:

North Korean spokesman claims NK has ability to hit anywhere in the continentual US with nuclear missles, and that NK is beginning nuclear warhead production....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Followup and summary of carrier movements:

Abraham Linconln
Jul 2004 Achieves Emergency Surge Status

Enterprise
Deployement Fall 04'

JFK
Possible Emergency Surge Status in October

Nimitz
Deployed. Location Unknown

Eisenhower
Maintenance/Training

Carl Vinson
Last spotted Sea of Japan

TDR
Post Deployment

Abraham Lincoln
Emergency Surge Status

George Washington
Emergency Surge Status in November

Stennis
Departed SD on August 11

Harry S Truman
Post-Deployment

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Kukla, excllent research as always. That's an awful lot of firepower isn't it?

Seeker's link is full of important information:

North Korea has thousands of underground facilities.

The U.S. should begin planning immediately to deploy the Patriot tactical ballistic missile defense system plus Aegis ships to South Korea and Japan, and also to reinforce our tactical air forces by moving in several air wings and aircraft carrier battle groups, together with the all-important surveillance aircraft and drones.

With over 20 of the Army's 33 combat brigades now committed it would be necessary to call up additional Reserve and National Guard units.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I remember both of those threads actually

North Korean spokesman claims NK has ability to hit anywhere in the continentual US with nuclear missles, and that NK is beginning nuclear warhead production....

If you read the rest of what this "spokesman" has to say it makes Baghdad Bob look like George Washington

As far as the Alaska thing...I highly doubt that it landed there. If anything it probably floated there after the test shot over Japan a few years back. If NK actually test fired a missile and it was going to land in Alaska we would have seen it coming and North Korea would not exist today for us to be talking about.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I am no military expert but I do visit this page from time to time. What caught me off guard this time is their mention of �Emergency Surge Status.� In my following of carrier movements I�ve never seen this language used. Can anyone comment on this?

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I was wondering about that as well. Could be high speed deployment maybe?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join