It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Launch!!!! cancelled for now.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

theres a live feed on the shuttle launch, right now they just delaying the launch and the crew is just restin. in anicase lets see wat happens.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They better be as carefull as possible too cool everyones already strained nerves. It's get launched eventually so in the meantime be patient.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The launch is scrubbed. Apparently, a fault in the fuel tank sensor system.

See the CNN link:

www.cnn.com...

No rescheduled launch date at this time.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, the sooner NASA's capital is sold off to the market, and the industry is privatised the better. They've wasted their resources these last 20 years on missions with generally little interest to the greater population they serve. We should have a well established base/mini city on the moon, and the beginnings of one on mars by now.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ive been waiting all day for the damned launch. This really is disappointing. I guess I have to rest my hopes on Burt Rutan and X-Prize like ventures to get man back into outer space. There is such a thing called being too careful.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
From what i heard this wasnt a case of being too careful. Aparently the engines of the Shuttle would cut off if two or more of the fuel sensors aren't working. It sounds like this was the case. So, if they did launch the engines may have cut off in mid flight forcing an abort during take off or they may not have fired at all.

Sure hope the get it fixed soon. Two and half years without the Shuttle is too long.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The problem was with one of the four engine cut-off sensors, which are responsible for making sure the spacecraft's engines shut down at the proper point during the ascent. NASA said it appeared that the sensor was showing a low fuel level, even though the tank was full.

Link

I had that happen to me after I got my fuel pump replaced. Turns out the guy allowed the rubber gasket which seals the pump to fall down in which interfered with the float assembly. I had to take the bed lose, move it back to access the tank and sure enough, there it was hanging around the float when I pulled the pump assembly out of the tank. A simple fix that took about an hour...of course I'm pretty knowledgable ( I know the difference between feet and meters for example) so this might have been a little easier for me to troubleshoot.

Check your mechanism for measurement, then check the wiring to the terminal. If all this checks out, make sure someone didn't syphon your fuel in the middle of the night.

[edit on 13-7-2005 by astrocreep]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
oh what the guy said it might not fly till september

jeez he said earliest is monday. they need to pick a time.

[edit on 13-7-2005 by masterofpuppets]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is really lame. After two years they can't even get the shuttle to launch on time. If this is the future of things to come at NASA, I don't have much hope for space travel(atleast government funded).

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Crew members were all aboard the orbiter when the announcement to cancel was made.

CNN link

Could you imagine sitting there, ready for the countdown, and then having to be pulled out last minute? That would have to SUCK!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
All this time and they can't manage to fix a fuel guage???

Smells like bull#....

This is ridiculous, the sooner NASA's capital is sold off to the market, and the industry is privatised the better. They've wasted their resources these last 20 years on missions with generally little interest to the greater population they serve. We should have a well established base/mini city on the moon, and the beginnings of one on mars by now.

Damn straight....

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's the rule. If there's a problem with that sensor, automatic scrub.

The next available launch windows are tomorrow, Saturday, and Tuesday, I believe, so if it's ready by Monday then...

I've been totally psyched out about this thing, they're killing me on the inside.

Gazrok, picard - LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Although I will say that just because they have "little interest to the greater population they serve" does not mean they're wrong.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I dont think i would go back into that shuttle again. First something just falls off and now something with a sensor..

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I would.

I'd have gone into Columbia, as well.

top topics

join