It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: NASA Counts Down for Shuttle Launch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The official countdown for the launch of the space shuttle Discovery has begun, the clock started at Sunday evening, with NASA aiming for a 3:51 p.m. EDT Wednesday lift-off.
Dispite the Hurricane Dennis has been downgraded to tropical storm, there is still a 30% chance that weather may prevent launch. The forecast for Thursday and Friday, in case of a delay, remains 60 percent "go" both days.

news.bbc.co.uk
Nasa still hopes to launch space shuttle Discovery on Wednesday, despite the storms buffeting Florida as Hurricane Dennis hits the mainland US.

At a countdown status briefing, space agency officials re-stated their determination to fly Discovery on the first day of its July launch window.

There is said to be a 30% chance of bad weather stopping the launch on 13 July.

It will be the first shuttle launch since the Columbia disaster in 2003, which killed seven astronauts.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is still much debate about the changed culture at NASA, and more importantly the safety of the Shuttle, but I hope everything will go at planned on Wednesday.

This time, fortunately, space camera's will be making photo's of the shuttle's exterior to search for missing tiles.

For those of you interested; You can watch the launch live via webcast (NASA-TV): www.nasa.gov...

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.nasa.gov
www.spaceflightnow.com
www.air-attack.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Back to space!
Leave last 3 Shuttles in Space?

[edit on 7-11-2005 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I hope everything goes off without a hitch.

I've been waiting for this day, as well as many others, for what seems like an eternity.

Good luck NASA and God bless the souls of our fallen astronauts.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Discovery was damaged on the launch pad today as a window covering fell off and damaged heat tiles in the tail section of the craft. NASA says that they think they'll be able to fix the problem without delaying the mission. News conference scheduled at 7:30 PM EDT.

Link: www.nydailynews.com...

[edit on 7/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Holy Cow! A window cover falls off the Shuttle and everyone says it's okay now that they replaced the broken tiles. What's going to happen when the thing begins to shake everything within a five-mile radius?

I'm hoping for the best, but when things just start falling off, I'm beginning to wonder about the flight-worthiness of these things.

www.ourtimelines.com...

In the 2 1/2 years since Columbia plummeted from the sky in a cascade of flames and halted U.S. space travel, NASA has stripped its fuel tanks of excess foam insulation and added launch-surveillance cameras.

It's toughened up the spacecraft and cracked down on know-it-all managers. It's created a laser-tipped boom to scour the shuttles' thermal skin for cracks and developed bandages for these ominous sores.

It's done everything it can to make the shuttles safer.

Yet even after all this -- an overhaul exceeding $1 billion -- the space shuttle is still vulnerable, unpredictable, dangerous, unforgiving.

That's not the claim of critics.

It's NASA's.

www.courierpress.com...

NASA Vehicle Manager Stephanie Stillson holds a carrier panel similar to the one damaged Tuesday on the Space Shuttle Discovery at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Fla. Tuesday, July 12, 2005. Stillson said thermal tiles that were damaged when a window cover fell had been repaired and would not delay the Wednesday launch of the Discovery. (AP Photo/Bill Sikes, POOL)

abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 2005/7/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
As was pointed out by a reporter tonight, this is the begining of the end of the Space Shuttle. If they get 15 missions out of it before they retire it that'll be a lot, but it's not certain to get even close to that many. I'm going to be crossing my fingers this whole mission, especially after hearing about the damaged tile. NASA says it's already repaired, they were able to unscrew the damaged portion and put a new tile in place. You'd think they'd be a LITTLE more cautious after Columbia.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Why they pick Friday 13th ?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
Why they pick Friday 13th ?

It's Wednesday the 13th, not Friday...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I sure am glad to see that NASA's getting back on track with the Shuttle Launch. I sure hope that NASA builds a newer, better shuttle with better safety features in order to replace Columbia, and hopefully one to replace Challenger. Nonetheless only two major accidents out of hundreds of missions isn't a bad ratio.

But back on topic I hope this mission goes well. And Godspeed to the men and women who're putting their lives on the line in the name of progress for these missions.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I was watching my local news and not really paying attention but they talked about the NASA shuttle being on the 13th day, 13th hour and a bunch of other 13s associated with the launch. I wasn't paying attention but if someone digs I'm sure they can get the numerology.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Does anyone know what British time it will be?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
lol I'm way, way off... It's fixed now... I reformatted the computer a few weeks ago, my clock on the computer is on the year Friday 13 2001.

I was thinking wow this week went by fast

[edit on 13-7-2005 by XPhiles]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RebelSaint
13th hour

It's scheduled to launch at 3:51 PM (15:51) where did you get 13th hour from?

edit: That's US Eastern Daylight Saving Time, so in Britain it would be 8:51 PM

[edit on 7/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Apollo 13 was the one that had all the 13s involved with it. They entered the moons gravity on the 13th, the numbers for launch added up to 13 etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Can't wait for this uncle lives right on the water

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The astronauts are being loaded onto the orbiter now, but the weather looks so-so...let's hope it works out, they only have a five minute launch window today.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
FYI ..Watch NASA tv live if you have a good internet connection and see the launch for yourself. Currently loading up the crew.

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 13-7-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I really love this. I didn't even know that The Comets were still around.

I think everyone should be able to appreciate this tribute to Deep Impact.

cc.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Low fuel indicator problem...launch scrubbed for today

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Launch Scrapped!!!!!

breakings news headline on MSNBC
NASA calls off shuttle launch because of a faulty fuel-tank sensor

[edit on 7-13-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Bummer
anyway it looked so old school...... They need a better system and something different than the shuttle.

Was fun watching the number 3 guy, he was the busiest it seem.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join