It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea Agrees To Resume Nuclear Arms Talks (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
North Korea has agreed to resume talks on nuclear arms, after refusing to negotiate on the matter for more than a year. The talks, which last took place in June of 2004, will resume the week of July 25th.

news.yahoo. com
By BURT HERMAN, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea said Saturday it will rejoin six-nation nuclear arms talks in July, ending a more than yearlong boycott in a breakthrough announced on the eve of a meeting between Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Chinese leaders.

The statement came after North Korean and U.S. envoys held a previously unannounced meeting in Beijing.

The negotiations, which involve the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia, will resume July 25, the North's official Korean Central News Agency said. A Bush administration official in Beijing said the talks would resume the week of July 25

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is good news, to be sure. The N Koreans had been refusing to resume talks until Condoleeza Rice apologized for comments she made previously, calling N Korea "an outpost of tyranny". Apparently, they are so motivated to resume talks that they are forgoing a public apology from her.

Only time will tell, of course, as to whether N Korea will participate in good faith or if they will look for another reason to withdraw from the negotiations; one can only hope that they are sincere in their desire to come to an agreement with the U.S. and the other four countries on this isuue. After all, it was just last month that N Korea agrred to rejoin the talks, only to change their minds again.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
abcnews.go.com
tod ay.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea to resume six nation talks!
North Korea to resume six nation talks!

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I wonder if the North Koreans were fearful of renewed European resolve following the London bombings.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I suppose the North Koreans can claim to be the magnanimous side after Ms. Rice's refusal to retract her insults. Or that is their intention. Its a choreographed show as far as North Korea is concerned.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
We'll have to see where this goes. During the negotiations while the Korean War was going on, there was a big argument over the size and placement of the flags that were put on the tables. I HOPE that they will negotiate in good faith, but I'm AFRAID they'll find another excuse to pull out again.

new topics

top topics

join