It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joint Russian and U.S. navy exercises to be held in Vladivostok

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
russia is the second largest military spender in the world.

Wrong, China is the second largest military spender in the world. Russia is third.
World Wide Military Spendings

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
64 ready Subs and we wont wast time building Aircraft carriers to counter USA we'll just keep building our Antiship missile to put you in your place hahahahahaha Part 1. www.vialls.com... part 2. www.joevialls.co.uk... part 3. www.vialls.com... and the HORRIFYING part 4. hahahahahaahah www.vialls.com...

Uhhh....Congrats, you just linked to a Neocon nut? Everyone knows that vialls is a pro-nazi idiot.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow

Originally posted by chinawhite
russia is the second largest military spender in the world.

Wrong, China is the second largest military spender in the world. Russia is third.
World Wide Military Spendings

no. they are estimates.

those figures include everything from civillian radars to sateillites. all dual-use technology. the offical chinese budget is 30billion that includes everything except arms imports and some R&D

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Proove that Russia/Iran/China/Venasuala didn't do those things then you won the argument other than that your just DILIBERATLY forcing your self not to believe the article.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
LF CARAT.....Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training
the "LF" stands for Landing Force.

That's the name of the exercise that goes on in Russia...in addition to the one the author mentions.

Every (other?) year IIIMEF (Marine expeditionary force) more specifically the 31st MEU has LF CARAT. About 1100 Marines and sailors set sail thru-out the WestPac and hit up many countries...pretty much it's a relations building exercise.

Ofcourse LF CARAT always hits up Russia.....it's just wouldnt be the same without it. The Karoakeing with the locals...especially after a few shots then to top it off try singing We didnt start the fire.....good times.

I missed out on that float...I was in the philippines, but my roommate went and he loved it. He even said Vladivlostok was the best part of the float.....

Lately, Russia's military and the U.S. military have always been cool with each other.....I live in an old Soviet country now, there's still a few Russian troops stationed here, we get along great

[edit on 9/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
I live in an old Soviet country now

which one? must be a harsh lifestyle for a westerner

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zakattack
im very skeptical of anything with russia, i mean cmon there president pocketed a ring from some sports player, i really dont trust them especially since there going to hold major military excercise with China.

ridiculous. Putin didnt 'pocket' a ring, it was given to him as a gift to the Russian people. He handed it in to the Kremlin library (which i believe is where gifts to the russian state are displayed).

Russia and China get along pretty well these days. So does the US and Russia. Peace reigns at the moment and I doubt Russia getting involved in any conflict between the US and China.

Time to get over the Russophobia, the cold war is over.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
which one? must be a harsh lifestyle for a westerner

I'd rather not say, maybe later
no real reason...just gotta watch out for all the waccos out there.

No, it's not that harsh at all. I miss certain things like malls other little small things but overall it's good to go. And the American Dollar goes far....that's good.

Oh, and there's a McDonalds too

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Does Russia still have a surface fleet? If they do how many do they have and how old are they?

Yes they do. A lot of decent stuff too, some sovremenny's and kirov class cruisers are not bad warships at all. A lot of the newer stuff in their navy isnt that old but the navy has a lot of problems with some poor maintenance and obsolescence of older ships. Much of their submarine force is useless, but there is some good stuff there (a typhoon class has gone through a major upgrade lately and i think it is or will be seaworthy again soon, i was watching a Russian news report about it, some lcd screens and interior was all nice).

Russia no longer has that many subs, it doesn't matter how many they had, what matters is how many now

Russia has quite a few subs, but many of the subs that are officially seaworthy are probably not. Oscar II's, Akula's and the typhoon coming back into service are notables. Kilo Class as well is a decent sub. Also, Russia is building the Lada class SSK a new gen of submarine and successor to the kilo ssk.

Besides, Russia may have a good anti-ship missile, but that doesn't make up for the lack of aircraft carriers.

A carrier force was always a dream for the soviet navy though it was hard to attain. A lack of a decent warm water port and that carriers weren't allowed to travel through the bosphorus straits severely hampered the soviets being able to build a credible carrier force. There were attempts to bypass this with aircraft carrying cruisers though they were largely unsuccessful. The Admiral Kuznetsov (which recently became active again and there are pictures of it carrying out carrier ops training) is the only carrier now in service with the Russian navy and it is a good vessel, though it hasnt got anything on a nimitz. The Admiral Gorshkov aircraft-carrying cruiser is being refitted as a carrier for the Indian navy. The Varyag was sold to China.

True. Russian 'military' spending is split roughly down the middle between the military and the MVD (the MVD should be considered just a paramilitary police force imo, controlling police forces and 'internal troop forces'). Most sites bunch these two together for Russia's military spending.

thanks,
drfunk

top topics

<< 1   >>

join