It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Against the one line response rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Dear ATS ,
I love you very much indeed , can you please review the one line response rule ? really folks , sometimes there's no need to write more than one line as proper feedback on a matter , or as an answer to a question , sure i admit that most of my one line responses is mainly ironic or BS , but can't we find some middle ground ?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
just
make
a
bunch
of
spaces,

heh

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The one line ban is to stop "me too" type posts which just destroy threads. I am sure if you have something that will take only one line to write you can expand on it more. If you can't then is it worth posting it?

Think of it as a tool to increase thread quality and ideas.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There used to be a lot of replies with people just saying 'I agree' and nothing more. There were even posts where some people would just reply with a smiley face.

The one line rule has gotten rid of many of those problems.

EDIT: I just hope they don't start issuing warns or taking points for bad spelling because I would have gotten one just then.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
just
make
a
bunch
of
spaces,

heh

Evil, dishonest, sneaky, smells kinda like chicken and I love it!!

But seriously the one-line rule is a good thing..........really.
It keeps the boards nice and clean and worth reading, I hate reading one-line responses sometimes.

Yes
No
What was that?

Gets tedious after a while.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Have to admit that at times, in my more sardonic moments, I find that one line would really imply what I feel. However, having been warned and lost points for "over quoting", I do not wish to get into that particular imbroglio. Therefore, I always forego the sardonic for the verbose.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
just
make
a
bunch
of
spaces,

heh

Hey nathraq.....I am counting 7 one liner warns heading your way buddy.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tempogen
sure i admit that most of my one line responses is mainly ironic or BS , but can't we find some middle ground ?

I think a good middle ground would be a small harmless deduction like 20 points that still allowed you to make the post, just not profit from it. There'd be no lingering permanent record. No formal chastisement. No scarlet warn. Just a simple friendly points deduction and maybe an automated 'heads up' U2U to remind you why, and to expect it again if you keep doing it. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

[edit on 7-7-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What about if your asking a question? I mean some questions can be worth asking that don't take more than one line. I'm not questioning authority here, dont get me wrong. I agree with the one liner rule too. Plus I'm sure mods look at the content of the post also.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yes, we do look at the content...

And many times, one-line replies aren't given a one-liner points deduction. It's more likely to take place when a member repeatedly gives nothing but one-line replies throughout a thread. Also, newer members don't usually get the points deduction, as we'll just send a little U2U heads up to the member first...

There are many times when one line suffices...such as asking for clarification, etc. I think the rule has helped far more than it has hindered though...

I like Rant's proposed compromise....but it would take away our discretion in such matters, and mean the point deduction is automatic, etc., so keep that in mind folks, hehe....

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
I do not wish to get into that particular imbroglio. Therefore, I always forego the sardonic for the verbose.

I have come to a new state of awareness and understanding.

Originally I railed against the Machiavelian practice of habitually or repeatedly imposing an unfair penalty on those that post a single line.
And I have posted my dissatisfaction, only to have my thread cut short by a moderator, (thread closed).

I realize now that this only benefits the quality of ATS and is contrary to rules and conventions set forth when we all signed up to join this community.

If a member can use "imbroglio, sardonic and verbose" to form a single thought; it should inspire the rest of us to do better and create something worth reading for those that have to put up with our inane verbal quips.
(not all members are included in that last statement)

I came to ATS for news and intelligent comment on that news.
I want intellectual insight from other members and links to sources.

Do we want to wade through threads full of?

I agree..........

Your wrong!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!

That's bull.........................

That sort of thing only degrades the quality of ATS.
So if you feel the need to toss in your one line or single word response, fine, post it.

But pay the price and don't cry later.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
lol

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Oh Nerdling, you're just asking for trouble aren't you.

I agree that the no one liner rule is good, and am glad that it is not "set in stone" and warnings and/or point deductions is done on an individual basis and not an automatic process. Sometimes, one line is warranted and I trust the mods to recognize this and warn as needed.

Good jobs Mods, we all love you bunches and bunches :-)

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Quick, somebody penalize Nerdling. And me.................

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In response to anxietydisorder ...

I was going to quote your post, but apparently, as of yet, have no earthly idea as to what constitutes overquoting and the attendent loss of points. Therefore, I suggest that you go back, read your post and apply the

To whichever part appeals to you as the most appropriate.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
"one liners....thread killers"

Mrs. Henny Youngman might take issue with this. I'm sure Groucho would
not have fancied that perspective. I mean, throughout history prolific one
liners have embellished our nation. Just off the top of my head, FDR..."Walk
softly and carry a big laptop"...

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I believe it is in the best interest of cutting down blubber replies that you and other moderators consider the content and not number of words or how many lines are taken for the member's reply.

Give the benefit of the doubt to the member, assuming his reply has some meat in it.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Line Party

Being an aphorist myself, I agree that a single well-crafted line is sometimes the best response.

Yes, there's a rule, and yes, it is enforced.

However, mods are people too.

Once in a while, I will take a chance and post one of my patented one-liners.

As long as it makes a good point, I usually don't get zapped for it.

If I do, I figure the mod in question wasn't impressed enough, and take it like a man.

For 20 points, it's a cheap thrill, if nothing else.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
In response to anxietydisorder ...

I was going to quote your post, but apparently, as of yet, have no earthly idea as to what constitutes overquoting and the attendent loss of points. Therefore, I suggest that you go back, read your post and apply the

To whichever part appeals to you as the most appropriate.

Take it for what you will.

Sure I try to make a funny, but the topic has a side that must be considered for all members.

I felt hurt when I received my first penalty for posting a link on a thread with no comment. And I felt that I made an addition to the topic.

But it gave no information as to the feelings I had about the topic or an interpretation of the event or subject at hand.

I feel that we have to set a standard on this board or we will become just another chat room on the WWW without purpose or value.

top topics

join