It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Suspends Arizona Chapter After Board Member Joins Minutemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The ACLU has suspended their Las Cruces chapter after one of the board members of that chapter, Clifford Alford, tries to start a Minuteman-style project in the state. Originally, they demanded Alford's resignation. According to Alford, whom I saw on the O'Reilly Factor last night, that chapter's board consisted of three fairly right wing conservatives, Alford included, three fairly left wing liberals, and the rest were moderates. When the ACLU demanded his resignation, the entire board stood up for him, stating that it promoted diversity in their ranks, and what better way to monitor the Minutemen project than to have members of the ACLU running it.

The ACLU's stance is that it does not support racism, and anyone trying to stop illegal aliens from getting into the country is, ipso facto, a racist, so Alford cannot be permitted to speak with any authority for the ACLU. "We will not tolerate racism and vigilantism in the leadership structure of our organization,'' Mitchell said. "They are repugnant to the principles of civil liberties and the mission of the ACLU.'' Gary Mitchell is a Ruidoso attorney and president of the ACLU board of directors.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I love that, only people associated with the ACLU could link the Minute Man project with being racist.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The irony was the defense of his fellow local chapter board members. They defended him, and so the ACLU's national board just shut the whole chapter down until they could mend their racist ways.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think you're talking about New Mexico rather than Arizona, given that Las Cruces and Ruidoso are both NM towns.

I was one of the few people who, back in the 1980s, was a member of both the ACLU and the NRA, because I believed they both at the time supported the Constitution. Of course, the ACLU looked to the First Amendment as supreme, while the NRA held the same views of the Second Amendment.

The reason I am now no longer a member of either of those organizations is that I consider them both hypocritical, pretending to uphold freedom as an excuse to advance their own agendas.

The way I look at it, you're either for or against freedom, period.

If you're against a responsible adult buying a handgun or drugs unless he has permission from the State, you're no friend of freedom in my book. Both the ACLU and NRA fail miserably in this regard.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Although I'm not fond of the ACLU and how they do things, I can understand them wanting to break association with a subgroup that does not follow their overall viewpoint.

I guess if a single McDonalds store decided to throw out the format and start serving Pizza instead, they might run into some problems.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
the ACLU encourages illegal activity (illegal immigration) and declares law abiding citizens "racists". It's not like they are stoping all immigration just the illegal immigration.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I guess if a single McDonalds store decided to throw out the format and start serving Pizza instead, they might run into some problems.

True, but then if McDonalds as a corporation advocated branches to break the law, and one decided to throw that idea out and instead do the opposite, enforce the law, the issue may be seen slightly different.

I do see where you're coming from, though.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
the minuteman project has nothing to do with race let me be the first to say get out to all white illegals, I don't care if you are purple if you aren't suppose to be here get the hell out!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Minutemen are just an extention of Neighborhood Watch in my opinion. I saw some bureaucrat complaining about Minutemen the other day and how they're stumbling around in the desert setting off sensors and whatnot. God forbid that US citizens should be running around willy-nilly in the US desert . Who do they think they are? Mexicans?

[edit on 2005/7/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Mitchell said. "They are repugnant to the principles of civil liberties and the mission of the ACLU.'' Gary Mitchell is a Ruidoso attorney and president of the ACLU board of directors.

You heard it here first folks, your constitutional right to assemble, as well as your right to report crimes to the proper authorities without even exercising your legal power of citizens arrest, is repugnant to the ACLU.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Don't even think of exercising your rights of citizen's arrest against illegal aliens. The price could be very high, as was learned by this Army Sergeant, even though charges against him have now been dropped.

www.foxnews.com...

www.haabsdefense.org...

new topics

top topics

join