It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too early for space exporation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Last night i was thinking to myself... That we don't even know a lot about are own planet yet we still spend billions of dollars on useless exploration in space. We dont know cures for some of the most common desieses. We haven't even found out how us men were made yet. There are over 10 diffrent theories and we rather not prove how we were made but we would love to crash a 333 million probe into a comet. We probably only know 75% of the species and Plants in the world and we are looking for other life outside of are own world they could somehow spark up a war and help us in no way. Does any share the same opinion as me?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Useless Space Exploration hmm? You do realize that Smoke Detectors(and a whole host of other gasous detectors) have come from the Space Program in the USA right? I suggest you check out these websites..

www.thespaceplace.com...

vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

www.sti.nasa.gov...

What we do up their impacts how we deal with the problems down here.

Another thing, if we put say 1 % of the money currently being spent on weapons development it would impact allot of things down here. Space Exploration is historically underfunded and saying that the Billions are wasted is a foolish statement, put it in perspective more money is spent on maintaining our aging Nuclear Weapons arsenal.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by sardion2000]

apc

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Do you pay attention at all?

And is your handle supposed to be "aBeliever16" ?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Without missions like Deep Impact- and the follow-on manned Prometheus and Lunar Base programs- our species will inevitably be eliminated by an Extinction Level Event (a catastrophic comet or asteroid strike on planet Earth).

If the Romans had not brought on another Dark Age, we would have been on the Moon a thousand years ago.

If anything, we are a day late and a dollar short. If you care about your Grandchildren, support space exploration.

As a believer, you should be familiar with the Book of Revelations. Please read the section on 'Wormwood'...

Then, join the Spaceguard Foundation.

jra

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We've learnt so much about our own planet because of NASA, ESA and other space organizations. With all the satillites and their instruments that analyze everything from weather patterns to magnetic fields. If it wasn't for things like that, we wouldn't know nearly as much as we do now.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The Space Program is incredibly important. Alot of our current technology has come out of it.

And, how did the Romans create a dark age? The Romans were extremely technologically advanced, infact, had they had more contact with China, they probably would've come up with firearms. If anything, Barbarian invaders destroyed everything we worked for, followed by the Christians.

Methinks you need to read some history on the Romans, they were an incredible civilization.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by aBeilever16
Does any share the same opinion as me?

I think the short answer is: No. In my experience, the majority of people on ATS believe the space programs of the world to be neccessary. For the sake of argument though, can you provide any evidence, other than your own conjecture, to say otherwise?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
And, how did the Romans create a dark age?

Ah, T_Jesus. Please do not take this personally.

The Emperor Constantine had a psychotic episode (vision) and adopted Christianity in its most vile and primitive form. The succeeding centuries are referred to as 'The Dark Ages'. Roman science was subordinated to ecclesiastical buffoonery. After about a thousand years, Leonardo and his bretheren brought us The Renaissance.

Had he been a Stoic, we would undoubtedly have colonized the Solar System by now.

I fear that the great scientific discoveries made in the Twentieth Century will be lost in the same way as The New Romans in America lead us down Road to Constantinople...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
First a comment please corect me if i am wrong--->
If the Romans had not brought on another Dark Age, we would have been on the Moon a thousand years ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Absolutely true...

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There will allways be diseases, poverty, and homlessness on earth. Throwing money at the problem is only a temporary solution. Most every scientist belives eventually that our sun wil die and destroy the earth.

Space exploration provides us with the technology, knowledge and expertise to eventually leave our home and expand to the great byond. Hopfully by that time diseases, poverty, and homelessness will be nothing but temporary problems that have permanent solutions with the technology we might have

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aBeilever16
We dont know cures for some of the most common desieses. We haven't even found out how us men were made yet.

As for your solution of throwing money at diseases, it would be interesting to note that the almighty virus has an adaptation mechanism to make it immune to cures and so called vaccination.

Most diseases are preventable, those that die want to die. In the end its all a matter of willpower, and the will to survive. Simple, as for men being made, you'll learn about that in grade 11 or 12 biology. "Reproduction"

There are over 10 diffrent theories and we rather not prove how we were made but we would love to crash a 333 million probe into a comet.

and to show it via Real Player LMAO..

We probably only know 75% of the species and Plants in the world and we are looking for other life outside of are own world they could somehow spark up a war and help us in no way. Does any share the same opinion as me?

a lot of those are going extinct because of the advances in medicine to cure the common diseases. Basic premise for Space Exploration is to find a solution for overpopulation.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Lord Vilmur, you would be correct. The Dark Ages in Europe were brought about by the collapse of Rome in 476 due to barbarian invasions. Prior to that, Rome had indeed been in decline, but it was largely due to the fact that they simply did not have the manpower to secure their borders and were forced to rely on what amounted to poorly trained and equipped foreign mercenaries to fill the ranks. It was very costly, and a poor substitute for the domestic Roman legions of earlier centuries that left them vulnerable to ever-increasing numbers of barbarian attacks.

Of course, it is notable that the eastern Roman empire, Byzantium, thrived for nearly 1,000 years afterward.

And there have been Dark Ages before. At some point around 1250 BC, *something* happened in western Asia that caused a massive migration of people into Europe and the Middle East. It led to the fall of Egypt as well as the disappearance of the Myceneans. That event did indeed set the world back until the rise to power of the traditional Greek city-states several hundred years later.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Oh, come on now. After the Romans, how many people even bathed? That alone is enough to say that the Romans were a bit more intelligent than later people.

There's a book, it's a really quick read, called "Everyday Life in Ancient Rome." It took a very long time to even revive a few Roman technologies that immensely helped Europeaners.

Leonardo was probably the greatest inventer of all time - but, he contributed the least amount of technology. His talents were completely wasted, so other than artwork, we really can't go back and say Leonardo contributed anything technologically.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Time to get back on topic. No more about the Dark Ages, please.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Useless Space Exploration hmm? You do realize that Smoke Detectors(and a whole host of other gasous detectors) have come from the Space Program in the USA right? I suggest you check out these websites..

www.thespaceplace.com...

vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

www.sti.nasa.gov...

That's just propaganda by NASA to justify their budget. Many of that stuff was invented or existed way before they were used in the space program, although the amount of money pumped into these things to have it suitable for space craft helped to build or improve those things. If the money invested into the space program went directly to these things instead of indirectly, you'd have the same results and it's notlike without the space program those things wouldn't exist.

Originally posted by sardion2000
Lord Vilmur, you would be correct. The Dark Ages in Europe were brought about by the collapse of Rome in 476 due to barbarian invasions. Prior to that, Rome had indeed been in decline, but it was largely due to the fact that they simply did not have the manpower to secure their borders and were forced to rely on what amounted to poorly trained and equipped foreign mercenaries to fill the ranks. It was very costly, and a poor substitute for the domestic Roman legions of earlier centuries that left them vulnerable to ever-increasing numbers of barbarian attacks.

The fall of Rome is just what started it. It doesn't explain why for centuries scientific advancement went real slow. Fundamentalist christianity and their intolerance towards different opinions would explain a hell of a lot more.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
With out space programs would we have the communication and computer applications we have today? You think private investors would spend the money NASA did to design and build rockets to carry satellites into orbit? Give me a break simon666, the only propoganda here is you.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Computers were invented two decades before any space program and their development was and still is independent of the space program. Communications across continents are by the way also feasible with copper or glass cables at the bottom of the ocean and yes, private investors finance that. I do not deny the space program has some valuable uses, but I do not believe exaggeration and lies are suitable or even necessary to defend the space program.

top topics

join