It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to find Sumerian city of Ur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm trying to use Google Earth (or really any satellite imaging software or website) to locate the great Ziggurat (since its the only remaining part that's big enough to be found) at the city of Ur. I can't find any specifics on the exact location of the city other than wikipedia which listed 30°95′ N 46°5′ E as the coordinates. I've been looking there and all around there, but have yet to find any buildings with the distinctive staircase leading to a square building as we can see in this photo

Anyone able to help me find it?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's been a couple of days, has anyone had any luck at all?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdcclxxvi
It's been a couple of days, has anyone had any luck at all?

It's in my pocket.

Nah, I had a go and attempted to hunt it down but alas nothing.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
weird. are you sure of the cordinates being correct? something that size should be rather easy to see as i was able to distinquish something the size of a streetcar when i looked. too bad my computer is alergic to google maps or i'd def try to find it.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I am not sure exactly what you are asking for, but the Ziggurat in your picture and as per the city of Ur is that of Nanna in al-Hajar, Iraq.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Here is a site with aerial imagery of the Ziggurat in/at Ur:
The ziggurat (and temple?) of Ur-Nammu

Not sure if this is a satellite image or aerial, but I found it at Public Eye, globalsecurity.org, Picture of the Week-2003:
Ziggurat in/at Ur
Pictures of the Week--2003

And these satellite images of Uruk and Ur:
Uruk and Ur

Now, the above link indicates that the Ziggurat [scroll down to the last two sat. images and it is labeled "Ur of the Chaldees"] was/is just outside of the Tallil Airbase, just left of the main road in. Here are two satellite images of Tallil Airbase and I believe that the Ziggurat can be seen, faintly, but locatable:
Sat1
Sat2

And this map showing the general layout of Tallil Airbase. NOTE that the Ziggurat is marked simply as "RUINS" just outside the main gate/road, to the left, into Tallil Base. Do not mix it up with the other "ruins" further off to the right on the map.
Map

And a Russian map with a bit more detail. The Ziggurat is mark by a triangle right outside, to the left, of the main road leading into Tallil Airbase.
Map2

Main page used:
Tallil Airbase, Iraq

Best I can do. Sorry. I hope that they help. I do believe that with some simple photo or image enhancement programs, that the above images can be clarified and enhanced so that you can better see/locate what you might be looking for.

seekerof

[edit on 8-7-2005 by Seekerof]

top topics

join