It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the chances of a new mountain range forming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I just returned from a vacation in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. One of the places I visited gave a short education video on the creation of the Rockies by collisions of the pacific and north american plates. This was roughly 60-70 million years ago according to the video (I found it interesting that this is around the same time as the mass dinosaur extinction give or take 5 million years
). I did a google search and I found that the Himalayas were also formed somewhere around 60 million years ago.

Anyway, it got me thinking of the increased earthquake activity on the plates.

What do you think is the possibility that humans would may see the formation of a new mountain range somewhere in the world within the next five generations or so?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Seeing one form is pretty much impossible, but there are mountain ranges forming every day. Anywhere two plates meet and one submerges under the other a mountain range will slowly form as the top is pushed up. I forget the exact amounts but I beleive most of them are measured 1-2 inches of growth a year. For it to be noticeable it would pretty much need to grow tens of feet per year.

So yes you will "see" mountain ranges forming, but you wont actually see them.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It was my understanding that during the now infamous Sumatra tsunami earthquake the sea floor changed seven meters in elevation. While this magnitute of a quake is rare, the changes in elevation may not be as slow as in matter of inches. Where it would likely happen though is probably at the site of the oldest mountain ranges now. I think it would be pretty amazing (and tragic) if we were to see some new mountain range creation over the oldest mountains like the Appalacians. This fault line is not very active now, but if it were to become active again, it would be bad for the US.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The Appalachians used to be as large as the Rockies, just as one day the mountains north of Los Angeles will rise to great hieghts. During the Northridge quake it was determined that some of the local mountains rose a full inch.

new topics

top topics

join