It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs to know? (classified information)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
First I will start off with a great source from our very own ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is all about classification levels.

Here is another source about classified information.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is an official document.

Executive Order #12968 - Access To Classified Information

www.wasc.noaa.gov...

Here is where my question comes into play.

(g) "Need for access" means a determination that an
employee requires access to a particular level of classified
information in order to perform or assist in a lawful and
authorized governmental function.

(h) "Need-to-know" means a determination made by an
authorized holder of classified information that a prospective
recipient requires access to specific classified information
in order to perform or assist in a lawful and authorized
governmental function.

Sec. 1.2. Access to Classified Information. (a) No
employee shall be granted access to classified information
unless that employee has been determined to be eligible in
accordance with this order and to possess a need-to-know.

It goes on and on about disclosure agreements and such, again source of this is: www.wasc.noaa.gov...

My question is this: Who needs to know about UFO's / Aliens?

I believe we all know, or should know, that just because your a high ranking government official, doesnt mean you need to know about such events.

So really, who is in the need to know about such things?

Here is some more info.

www.dss.mil...

Im going to look into how it works for Canada.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I found this neat little blurb about the info in Canada. It even mentions how it is protected.

First off, they often use the term " protected " although they use classified as well.

What is PROTECTED information?

PROTECTED is a Canadian term meaning information and assets related to other than the national interest that may qualify for an exemption or exclusion under the Access to Information Act or Privacy Act. There are three levels of PROTECTED information: PROTECTED A; PROTECTED B; and, PROTECTED C.

These levels are defined as follows:

A subset of PROTECTED information and assets that could reasonably be presumed to cause injury if compromised may be marked PROTECTED A

A subset of PROTECTED information and assets that could reasonably be expected to cause serious injury if compromised may be marked PROTECTED B.

A subset of PROTECTED information and assets that could reasonably be presumed to cause extremely serious injury, such as loss of life, if compromised may be marked PROTECTED C.

They are basically like the United states, just they use A, B, C etc.

What is CLASSIFIED information and assets?

CLASSIFIED is an international term. In Canada, CLASSIFIED information and assets means information related to the national interest that may qualify for an exemption or exclusion under the Access to Information Act or Privacy Act and the compromise of which would reasonably be expected to cause injury to the national interest. There are three levels of classification: CONFIDENTIAL, SECRET, and, TOP SECRET.

These levels of classification are defined in Canada as:

CONFIDENTIAL - level of classification that applies to information and assets which when compromised could reasonably be expected to cause injury to the national interest.

SECRET - level of classification that applies to information and assets which when compromised could reasonably be expected to cause serious injury to the national interest.

TOP SECRET - level of classification that applies to information and assets which when compromised could reasonably be expected to cause exceptionally grave injury to the national interest.

Nothing new here....

Who decides what information and assets are considered CLASSIFIED / PROTECTED?

The originator of the information and assets determines the level of security. The levels of security of information and assets to be released to suppliers is identified in the Security Requirements Check List (SRCL) included in contractual documentation. If you are in doubt about any information in this area, contact CIISD.

Ill look into the SRCL in a bit. Lets move on.

Skipping through a few on the page I found this neat bit:

What special physical security measures are required for a Classified/Protected contract?

The requirements will be dictated by the information and assets to be released to the private sector organization by the Government or produced by the organization. The physical security measures could vary from a locked cabinet in an open office to constructing a special security area which has stringent access controls, 24-hour monitoring, specialized security containers and other physical security considerations.

www.ciisd.gc.ca...

This is the SRCL

www.ciisd.gc.ca...

Proof they provide classified info over the internt

Information designated as Protected A and Protected B transmitted externally (Internet) must be encrypted.

All Protected C information must be encrypted for both internal and external (Internet) transmission. Due to the high sensitivity requirements, the strength of the encryption system, in unison with other safeguards, is important.

Source

This refers to personal info though.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
When I was working at NASA, my project had a very low level of classification. I was verbally told that the basic bureacratic requirements to access that information were basicly just that:
(a) You sign the paperwork saying that you won't disclose it, and that you will destroy all your copies of the information within a certain timeframe (which I did).
(b) You do not have access to any other classified information.

It was pretty clear that what we were working on by itself wasn't considered much of a security risk, only that it could exacerabate the security risk of other leaks.

Nobody ever told me the name of the classification level. I was just asked to sign the non-disclosure agreement.

There was a foreigner in our group. The first day on the job some security guy followed him around everywhere including the restroom. He complained a lot, our boss told security that the secrets they were trying to protect mostly originated from this foreign guy in the first place, and they finally left him alone.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Good info Dulcimer

I think that technically you could make a logical argument that anyone "needs-to-know" anything, one that might even stand up to good scrutiny. But it still stands on the shoulders of the person who's going to sign you off on it, and you'd probably need to be a pretty hotshot lawyer to convince the powers that be that we need to know this info. Either that, or great with a watch on a chain...

That's something I've pondered myself though--what would be a good enough argument to convince the higher-ups that there is a need to know basis for the general public. Of course, since no one in the general public can completely prove that the government has much more than they've already told us, they can always fall back on "Tell you what? There's nothing else to tell you."

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Correct me if Im wrong anyone, but I believe, even if one had a "top secret" document, one could not persuade the government to declassify it.

First off I believe the need-to-know basis is for government and military personnel only.

Need to know basis doesnt include civilians. Im not sure on that though.

I guess theres the freedom of information act and such but I believe its much different.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Found some very interesting info related to classified documents.

This is in depth stuff.

Arrangements for the International Hand Carriage of Classified Documents, Equipment and/or Components.

www.dss.mil...

Procedures for the Protection of Restricted Information

www.dss.mil...

Controlled Unclassified Information Clauses

www.dss.mil...

International Hand Carriage of Classified Documents, Equipment and/or Components by Visitors

www.dss.mil...

There is many more here, I just listed a few to get you interested.

www.dss.mil...

Theres so much information here, its all interesting.

Taken from here:

www.dss.mil...

Great stuff.

new topics

top topics

join