It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist facing jail sentance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

though some of you may find this interesting?....youve got to kind of admire the woman, shes obviously got some people high up worried.

i wonder what can of worms this may be opening?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
While I can understand the point of those who would support a case I can't see that this is a good move.

This looks to be one step nearer to the total submission to a 'big brother' all powerful government. What about whistle blowers now? I think there was a comment that I read on this site recently which made refererence to the Watergate scandle and what rulings like this might mean regarding the possibility or willingness of anyone to come forward knowing full well that as soon as those concerned start to lean on the press their name will be out.

This is the story: Time Inc. Hands Over Notes of Source In CIA Dispute

and here: Time Magazine to Hand Over Reporter Notes In CIA Case

[edit on 1-7-2005 by Mark Harris]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If any other occupation has information about a crime they are compelled by law to disclose it, but not journalists?

If we grant journalists immunity, what about retail clerks and auto mechanics? Either we grant immunity to all or to none. We should not give a single occupation a special privilege over other jobs.

Gee, it is not like journalism is a respectable profession, or anything. By definition journalists are paid professional liars.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
If any other occupation has information about a crime they are compelled by law to disclose it, but not journalists?

If we grant journalists immunity, what about retail clerks and auto mechanics? Either we grant immunity to all or to none. We should not give a single occupation a special privilege over other jobs.

Gee, it is not like journalism is a respectable profession, or anything. By definition journalists are paid professional liars.

Do you realize how easily the word "Politicians" could be switched out for "Journalists" in the above statements???

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Judith Miller is a scum bag Bush pawn. She was one of the Journalist who help sell his lies about Iraq and is covering up who leaked wilsons name to her to protect the Bush administration. She is covering up not just a crime but treason. She should be tortured to get it out of her just like she helped advocate it.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by DiRtYDeViL]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
... shes obviously got some people high up worried.

Yeah they're worried she's gonna talk and if she had any kind of conscious, she would.

Outing a CIA agent as payback for a negative finding on the "Yellow Cake" investigation (negative for the powers mongers) is a high crime. This crime and many other lies of the Bush Administration have been revealed over time (e.g. leaked British Government Meeting Reports/Minutes) but nobody seems accountable.

This "journalist" has information about the sources of many Administration lies (i.e. those who are accountable).

Question: what makes a journalist?

Is it somebody who investigates for information and facts to expose crime and corruption to the world, is it somebody who is paid by a corporation to write what the editors permit?

Is it somebody who acts as a conduit for lies tied to crime and corruption and then helps cover up those lies?

The worst thing about this situation is that she is hiding behind principles dear to many people and the New York Times will come out looking prim and rose as a "liberal" establishment for having helped cover up the lies.

A court doesn't buy it.

Who better than judges to understand the principles of the free press and the protection of sources? You? Me? The court order to hand over the sources should be obeyed.

Protecting "sources" of lies that have lead to the deaths of so many people does not meet the test on this one.
edit: brain fart

[edit on 7/1/2005 by Gools]

top topics

join