It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra-solar oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Ok, this isnt in the space section because it has to do with the use of oil.

Say that in the next 30 or so years we develop a way to travel at speeds faster than that of light or just bypass the traveling altogether (IE worm-holes), now say we find life bearing planets with an abundance of crude oil all over the planet.

Would/Should we use it?
And why?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
If we discover a technology that allows us to gather enough energy to allow faster than light travel, wormholes, or other exotic means of interstellar travel, I don't think oil is going to be a major concern anymore.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well for the threads sake, imagine we found a way to generate worm-holes and it didnt require huge amounts of power and we found a way to produce exotic matter, now assume we are at the time still using oil, and we keep the worm-holes open to the same destination indefinately, and we can drive or send trains through them.

If we are still using oil when we can go to other worlds through worm-holes and we did find the oil, in a scenario like that.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Converting the oil to directly usable energy on the spot and transporting this energy would be much more economic I think.

Theres already a thread around discussing the same topic really, its about extracting usable gas from the SOL gas giants.

The energy required to travel to and from the gas giants is much higher then the energy any of the resources brought back could deliver.

Same goes for oil I guess.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
To make it a little easier to answer, let's say we find a worm hole to another planet that has an abundance of oil. Do I think we would use it? Absolutely. The world is very dependant on oil.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No need to go extra-solar.

Titan is covered in liquid natural gas and other Hydrocarbons. Just need to get there and back economically really, rather than going FTL as this would require huge amounts of energy and make oil a bit redundant to begin with.

top topics

join