It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide Awareness Training

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Every so often at work, they have Suicide Awareness Training. Looking for signs of suicide idealogy in co-workers.

What ALWAYS pisses me off is the big myth "Suicides increase during the Holiday seasons between Thanksgiving and New Years Day". Which the studies have been done, there is NO increase during the Holiday seasons. In the United States, it stays pretty constant, economic factors play the biggest role in suicide rates.

Before I have to go another Suicide Awareness Training, whomever is teaching it, I am going to bring that point up.

The reason this pisses me off the most because this is what I've been hearing for the past 15 years! "Suicide Increase during the holidays", Total BS!

Here is the truth on Suicide from American Association of Sucidology!

www.suicidology.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Yeah Godzilla, you're totally right there. I did a quick search too and found that it's only a myth. The rates of suicide are actually the lowest in winter and highest in spring. Christmas and Chanukkah, being two of the most widely celebrated holidays in the US during the winter, obviously don't have an effect on suicide. Perhaps you could make an argument for Valentines Day, which is actually logical too, but just one example doesn't make the statement your councilors say true.

www.cdc.gov...

new topics

join