It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Shuttle to Take Off Despite Concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

U.S. astronauts will blast back into space in a matter of weeks, the head of
NASA said Tuesday, despite a new, critical report questioning the safety of this exploration.

The optimistic assessment from NASA administrator Michael Griffin came after a task force review said Monday that the agency failed to meet key safety recommendations the came about as a result of the Columbia tragedy.

"We look like we're in pretty good shape. ... Based on what I know now, we're ready to go," Griffin told the House Science Committee.

news.yahoo.com...

Is it really wise to "push" such events? I mean you are putting lives at risk.

Columbia crashed after a suitcase-sized chunk of insulating foam tore off its external fuel tank during liftoff and pierced the left wing, damage that proved fatal when the spaceship returned to Earth's atmosphere.

I think when lauching something of this magnitude, you want to be confident. Concerns should be the last thing !

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yes, this is something that needs to be pushed, and I'm confident the astronauts agree. This mission is extremely important to the new road of NASA, and when it is successful, confidence in NASA will be restored.

I'm looking forward to July 13th, as I work at the KSC, I am anxious to watch this happen.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
When you look at the track record of American maned space flight, it's pretty good. In EVERY instance there will be some level of danger and the risk of losing lives. So yeah, it is good to "push" this event so, as T_Jesus stated, confidence in NASA will be restored.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
Yes, this is something that needs to be pushed, and I'm confident the astronauts agree.

Only if the shuttle is ready can it be pushed!

This mission is extremely important to the new road of NASA,

Not as important as the lives of the seven crew on board Discovery!

and when it is successful,

IF it is successful!

confidence in NASA will be restored.

No it wont.......You think one successful shuttle launch is going to convince the public that NASA has solved all the problems with the shuttle?

NASA has alot more work to do after STS-114 to convince the public that they can safely launch a vehicle into orbit!

The best thing NASA can do is speed up the production of the CEV and get those antiques of the launchpad ASAP!!!

I'm looking forward to July 13th, as I work at the KSC, I am anxious to watch this happen.

Thanks for the date, nobody has published the launch date yet so as you work at KSC i'll take it you know more than us!

Mic

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The shuttle is ready, if it weren't, they wouldn't risk it. Do you think NASA wants another disaster? Do you understand that would basically cripple them?

Regardless whether you believe it is ready or not, it is going to happen. Support it, rather than sitting there and making yourself feel better by criticizing it.

Yes, I believe this mission's success will put minds at ease. I do agree that the CEV needs to be hurried, but we need more time to analyze everything on the Moon/Mars. Right now we're (the group I'm apart of) is testing soils and solar panels for robots (applying electric fields to blow dust off robots to keep equipment running smoothly).

During work yesterday there was a press conference by Mike Griffin. Countdown begins July 10th, and launch is supposed to be by 4pm July 13th.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by T_Jesus]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
The shuttle is ready, if it weren't, they wouldn't risk it. Do you think NASA wants another disaster? Do you understand that would basically cripple them?

I agree the shuttle is as ready as it will ever be but still dont think its enough.
I know we need the shuttle to carry on in order to complete the ISS, i just think its far too old to be flying.
The CEV needs to be pushed forward, and by forward i mean before 2010!

Regardless whether you believe it is ready or not, it is going to happen.

True.....
I want the shuttle to launch and i want it to be a success, but i believe NASA are still putting lives at risk by using the shuttle, it has proven twice now that accidents can easily happen!

Support it, rather than sitting there and making yourself feel better by criticizing it.

Im not making myself feel better by criticizing the shuttle, i know what the shuttle has done for space exploration and has been an invaluble tool for us!
But it is way past it best before date....
Newer and safer technology is here and we need to be using it to ensure the safety of our men and women!

Right now we're (the group I'm apart of) is testing soils and solar panels for robots (applying electric fields to blow dust off robots to keep equipment running smoothly).

This sounds like a good idea! Wasnt Spirit only saved by a 'dust devil' on Mars?
If they had there own eqipment to blow off the dust theyd last much longer!

During work yesterday there was a press conference by Mike Griffin. Countdown begins July 10th, and launch is supposed to be by 4pm July 13th.

Thanks for the info

Mic

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I do believe another disaster would cripple them. They most likely are ready.

I really hope they are.

Ill be watching.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The best thing NASA can do is speed up the production of the CEV and get those antiques of the launchpad ASAP!!!

I'd agree there...and that another disaster would completely destroy NASA.
We've got the best track record, but the most demanding public also.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well, the men and women in Iraq, in my opinion, are at greater risk of death than those attempting to return to space. I also think that these astronauts would risk their lives if it means NASA will be able to advance.

The reason why we're still using these archaic shuttles is because the general population doesn't find NASA necessary, which is sad. I think in most occasions the people are aware the money NASA spends and thinks it's ridiculous, but are not aware the amount of money other government agencies spend are things that are truly worthless to us.

I think 2010 is reasonable for the CEV, really. We kind of came to a halt after landing on the moon, because that was the goal...we beat the Soviets, now we're done. There wasn't enough money or reason for NASA to build more sophisticated equipment. I mean, if you've been in the buildings at the Kennedy Space Center, you'd realize we're in dire need of a new setting and a new atmosphere. Everything feels real old...

Ah well, maybe someday.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by T_Jesus]

top topics

join