It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think the V-22 will make it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I was just wondering what you guys thought. Will the V-22 ever become a great aircraft?

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
i never heard of a v-22 before, can you tell me some more about it?

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It has the potentiallitly to be a great aircraft .... but I think it will either be a hit or a miss as far a history is concerned. I would like to see it a Hit. A Very nice peice of design.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
V-22 aka the Boing Ospray

Click here to see the V-22

hope this answers your question

enjoy

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here is some V-22 info.

The V-22 Osprey is a tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing (VSTOL), multi-mission air-craft developed to fill multi-Service combat operational requirements. The MV-22 will replace the current Marine Corps assault helicopters in the medium lift category (CH-46E and CH-53D), contributing to the dominant maneuver of the Marine landing force, as well as supporting focused logistics in the days following commencement of an amphibious operation. The Air Force variant, the CV-22, will replace the MH-53J and MH-60G and augment the MC-130 fleet in the USSOCOM Special Operations mission. The Air Force requires the CV-22 to provide a long-range VTOL insertion and extraction capability. The tiltrotor design combines the vertical flight capabilities of a helicopter with the speed and range of a turboprop airplane and permits aerial refueling and world-wide self deployment.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The V-22 is a money pit. The basic design has been around since the fifties. It is a real shame that the Marines are putting all their hopes on this obsolete concept.

FLAK BAIT

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think It is a pretty good design. Better than helicopters, which have also been around since the 50s.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That program is suffering from finance cuts, politicians, and bad luck.
The basic design itself is indded very old, and the program started way back in the '80's/early '90's (I'm not sure).
Two weeks ago there was an incident with a V-22, it appeared that a clamp was faulty installed, causing a hydraulic failure.

This is from the page I wrote on the V-22 for my website:

The first of four LRIP (low-rate initial production) MV-22 models completed Operation/Evaluation in August 2000. Following an aircrash in December 2000, a number of upgrades are taking place including redesign of hydraulics and wiring in the nacelles and improved flight control software. A two-year flight test program began in May 2002 to be followed by a second OP/EVAL phase. Initial Operating capability is planned for 2005. USAF CV-22 resumed flight testing in September 2002. 360 MV-22 have been ordered and 50 CV-22 (to replace MH-53J Pave Low helicopters).

So we'll see what happens with the program. It will either be a great addition to the Navy/Marine Corps, or one of the biggest failures in the DoD's history

I love this pic:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The Osprey has been plagued by technical/engineering faults almost throughout its development; but it has looked for the last few years that it is doomed from a budgetary point of view, regardless of any technical progress.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The episode is related from the several OSPRAY accident. And almost an accident where about 20 marines was killed a few years ago.

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 07:05 AM
link   
yes, I have seen that episode too. (on the French TV5, pretty hard to follow, but with french subtitles i can understand most of it.) I wasn't sure if that episode was based on an actual incident. But the V-22 is indeed plagued by faults.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I was stationed on the base where the Corps has the Squadron VMMT-204 and MV-22..

I have seen that thing fly..its COOL!

I have been on duty when it crashed, once here in the city and the other in Arizona...

The thing is..is that it is being rushed..it still needs more testing and training...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 05:29 AM
link   
www.aviationnow.com.../int09233.xml

The National Guard Association of the United States (NGAUS) last week passed a resolution calling for a fiscal 2005 budget line item for a analysis of roles and missions for a potential fleet of CV-22s, a NGAUS air programs official said in a Sept. 22 interview.

The move also is a sign of change in the military's view of the V-22's development program, which has evolved from a troubled program to a potentially effective, if costly, multi-purpose platform. Since May, the program's progress has been endorsed by two of the Pentagon's top acquisition officials, and its production schedule has been accelerated slightly.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Seeing as it's comparatively new tech, it's bound to have its share of failures. Look at the Harrier - it went from being a dangerous, unstable prototype to one of the most versatile aircraft flying (albeit still a bit tricky to fly). Perhaps the Marines are trusting that the same will be true of the Osprey.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It should be dropped like a hot pototo, but I would say someones got share prices riding on it.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
It should be dropped like a hot pototo, but I would say someones got share prices riding on it.

Do you have an actual reason for why it should be dropped like a hot potato??

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think it is pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A very similar aircraft was in the design stages by the nazis during WWII,limitations in control mechanisms of the time prohibited it's further development.
www.luft46.com...
Cool,what a rush!,good thing they lost eh?.
Look at some of the other designs,looks like the nazi's were way ahead of anyone else,doesn't it?.
www.luft46.com...

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by uNBaLaNCeD]

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abrams

Do you have an actual reason for why it should be dropped like a hot potato??

Yes, because the whole thing is bung, it has limitations and because its killed far too many people.

Like I said, someones got shares riding on it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join