It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flies - Potential new bioweapon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I found this amusing article:

A village in Russia has been evacuated after it was taken over by millions of flies.

The problem started after a local farmer arranged for several tonnes of chicken manure to be dumped near the village of Polevoy in the Sverdlovsk region - one of the most beautiful parts of Russia.

But hot weather in May and heavy rains in June were perfect conditions for the flies that have emerged from the dung in their millions.

More than 50 homes had to be abandoned and only one woman, Elena Potapova, stayed behind because she had nowhere else to go.

She said: "This area is a no go zone for everybody, I have to wear a surgical mask otherwise I would end up with a mouthful of flies every time I took a breath.

"And the noise from the buzzing is so loud it is deafening. There is no surface not covered in flies and the house is full of them the moment you open the door."

www.ananova.com...

Why bother to go to the trouble of developing nasty bioweapons like anthrax and plague when you can just dump some fly eggs somewhere, then sit back and wait for the whole town to clear out!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Heck have you ever been in NH during mud season? The air is black with noseeums. Mud season takes place around march april timeframe and noseeums get their name becuse unless they are in a cloud together, they are very hard to see.
We wore bandanas looking like banditos in the old westerns so that did not get a mouthful with every breath. Have to run the windshield wipers so that you can see while driving. Very miserable time of the year

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

We wore bandanas looking like banditos in the old westerns so that did not get a mouthful with every breath. Have to run the windshield wipers so that you can see while driving. Very miserable time of the year

Exactly! A massive quantity of insects is the perfect bioweapon to get rid of pesky humans from a designated area. Even humane, although VERY disgusting!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
I found this amusing article:

A village in Russia has been evacuated after it was taken over by millions of flies.

The problem started after a local farmer arranged for several tonnes of chicken manure to be dumped near the village of Polevoy in the Sverdlovsk region - one of the most beautiful parts of Russia.

But hot weather in May and heavy rains in June were perfect conditions for the flies that have emerged from the dung in their millions.

More than 50 homes had to be abandoned and only one woman, Elena Potapova, stayed behind because she had nowhere else to go.

She said: "This area is a no go zone for everybody, I have to wear a surgical mask otherwise I would end up with a mouthful of flies every time I took a breath.

"And the noise from the buzzing is so loud it is deafening. There is no surface not covered in flies and the house is full of them the moment you open the door."

www.ananova.com...

Why bother to go to the trouble of developing nasty bioweapons like anthrax and plague when you can just dump some fly eggs somewhere, then sit back and wait for the whole town to clear out!

It could be worse. They could be botflies.

new topics

top topics

join