It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The F35

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Does anyone know what name it will have? JSF sucks as a name, anyone have an idea when they will name it?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yes, it will be called the F-35 Venom in US service and the Venom FG.1 in the UK, ALLEGEDLY

EDIT; pardon my little joke but that is the name I have bestowed upon my model RAF version and I rather like it

[edit on 26-6-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
yea ive heard venom... somebody said that its going to be called viper

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
thanks

wtb doctor who rules wish it was playing here in the us darn it!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
If you have bittorrent I recommend you get the episodes of the new series ASAP, you will love it, as long as your not a died in the wool/stuck in the past Whovian that is
Even as I type this I can hear the soundtrack to Ep 6 'Dalek' playing downstairs and my 10 year old son shreiking with delight at it! WHO IS BACK!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Where did you guys hear it would be called Venom or Viper?

And another thing, why doesn't it have an F/A designation?

[edit on 26-6-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Viper=F-16.

Just a little info.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I put a post like this but it got taken off.
My thoughts were MUSTANG II or SKYRAIDER II.
Just interested in peoples thoughts.

Unless you write about airbus it will be taken off.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I had a thread on the same subject too, it got very long and now I can't find it anywhere, maybe it got zapped to BTS like a lot of mine seem to

Anyhow, to answer all your points;

NWGuy, I made the name Venom up, and I did say so so its not really a hoax.

I actually do think it will entern service in America as the 'F/A-35' and I would be well pleased if the name Venom was adopted as (a) I really like the name anyway, it sounds short snappy and dangerous. (b) The DH Venom is one of my favourite early jet fighters and as we are reviving the name 'Typhoon' why not Venom as well?

It is more than likely that the RAF and RN designation will follow the US pattern ie Venom F/A.1, but I personally prefer the old style FG designation that we used on the RN version of the Phantom.

Jetsetter, How come the F-16 is called the Viper, and by whom? I always thought it was the 'Fighting Falcon' (which I hate by the way, too much of a gobful for a fighter IMHO).

Jezza, interesting idea
You mioght be surprised to learn that before the F-16 was named it was announced that it was going to be the Mustang II but then GD or the UASF or whoever it was had a rethink and decided not to, I prefer Mustang II to 'Fighting Falcon' anyday. Although 'Viper' is also good.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
the more ground attack role of the F-16 has been called the viper off and on from what I've heard. i got some nice shots of 2 f-16"vipers" and a dodge viper (boy was i happy). I'll try to scan em and put em up for you guys. so yah anyways viper = ground attack role from what I've heard.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
"Viper" is the unofficial name, while "Falcon" is the official name.
F-16 Fighting Falcon, F16, or Viper?

Question: Why would one create a thread on what will be the F-35's official or unofficial name, when there is no name to be had, officially or unofficially?
Simply type the question into Google or some other viable search engine and find out, maybe?
Here, I will do it for you:
Name of the F-35?

Guess what? The F-35 has no official or unofficial name. Nothing new there, anyhow.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Because maybe some of us like to speculate? I think that a planes name should reflect the 'personality' of the plane. Thats why I don't like 'Fighting Falcon'. It has no personality, it sounds like an ad agency by-line. Falcon on its own would be better.

You might find this pointless but is it any more pointless than people repeatedly posting how great the F-22 is? At least this gives us a little something extra to guess at

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
agreed with yah waynos the name of anyplane is fun to guess at and alot of the time the one picked surpises us all. lol and also the pilots also usally end up renaming it like with the B-52 startofortress aka the BUFF or the F-117 wobbly goblin

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Do you have a favourite 'pilots name' for any aircraft? I was always amused by the RAF nickname for the Gloster Javelin, the 'Harmonious Dragmaster'

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
lol i had never heard that one before makes sence though. i dont really have fav's they all suit the plane. back when i flew gliders we had the Schweizer 2-33 the 2-33 tank. i saw one smash into a tree riped the wing clean off the the pilot and student out safe. as for military aircraft the b-52 nick was a fav i guess,

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
We used to have a 2-32 I think it was that we called the "Lead Sled". I saw it stay up in the air one time for longer than 30 minutes. Supposedly, it had been flown out of Romania in a defection from the USSR. It was big, ugly, and hard to keep in the air, but I loved flying it.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I like that the USAF had both the BUFF and the SLUF, you would almost think they could be related

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
yah Zaphod i saw one of those at my glidin centre once back in 2003 it was an insane glider to spin one guy almost put one into the ground he miss judged his hight etc and ended up lossin the lisence.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
We had one cadet flying the Lead Sled, and we were watching from the ground, when it started flying kind of erraticly. When they landed, we found out it was because the instructor was trying to fly from the back seat (which had almost NO forward visibility) while the cadet was holding the canopy open, swatting at the wasp that was in the cockpit, because someone hadn't done their preflught check properly and cleared the vent tube in the nose, that went right into the cockpit. They got to altitude, and the wind picked up through the vent, and this wasp came screaming out of the tube, and smacked the cadet in the forehead.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
And another thing, why doesn't it have an F/A designation?

The aircraft is known as the F-35 JSF.

I think when it comes into service it might get an all new designation though. The traditional F for fighter A for attack or B for bomber doesn't really fit the JSF because of all the roles it's supposed to fill. But for the time being it's the F-35.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join