It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who invented Whiskey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Both the Irish and the Scots claim to have invented whiskey?

My favourite whiskey is Black Bush by Bushmills, being Irish my self I'm a tad biased, my dad said once to me "Son if God had not let the Irish invent whiskey they would have taken over the world"

After the dissolution of the monasteries in Scotland whiskey making became a peoples art. It was practised by ex-monks who became barbers, surgeons, and apothem caries. Whiskey was taken to the great houses in the Highlands and crofts. By the 16th century triple distillation was common practise in the Western Isles, and had spread to Ireland and France. By then “Uisge Beatha” ( Gaelic translation for “Aquae Vitae”) or “Water of life.” Was a central part of Highland life.

The first legal distillery in the British Isles was in Northern Ireland, it was given to Sir Thomas Phillips ( Bushmills ) by James 1 of England, in 1608.

Stories tell us that the troops of Henry II of England paid a visit to Ireland in 1174; were more than happy to discover the unique taste of Irish whiskey. Unable to pronounce the Gaelic “Uisge Beatha" they shortened it to “Fuisce” and finally to "Whiskey” Irish Whiskey held the high ground and was the worlds top selling Whiskey.

The arrival in Ireland of Scot John Jameson in the 1770s marked a significant new departure for the growing legal Irish whiskey industry. Jameson already had connections with the Scottish industry - he had even married into the Haig family - and his son consolidated the business by marrying a daughter of John Stein, whose family were among the biggest grain distillers in Scotland and who owned Dublin's Bow Street distillery which Jameson Senior was soon to purchase in 1780. with a brother-in-law they became the first distiller to install a patent still.

Today there are only three distillers in Ireland I believe, Midleton, Bushmills, and Cooley, 100 years before there had been over 2000 in Ireland.

I will continue to drink my whiskey with a threat until I find an answer of who made it first.

Sauron :w:

Whisky World

THE DIMPLE / THE PINCH / HAIG'S DIMPLE

THE ULTIMATE WHISKY LINK EXCHANGE

[edit on 25/6/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Legend has it that it was here in Ireland that whiskey was invented. To this day, the finest whiskey is distilled by the Irish and every year thousands of visitors come to Midleton to taste the magic of Irish whiskey for themselves. This beautiful 18th century distillery has been carefully and lovingly restored. The memorable visit comprises an audio-visual presentation available in six languages and then a guided tour of the old distillery. And after the history comes the tasting. Visitors relax in the atmosphere of a traditional Irish pub to sample the spirit of Ireland for themselves. Afterwards there's a chance to browse in the unique gift shop or relax in the elegant coffee shop.

thats what i found out but it is still a legend about who made the first whiskey drink!

oni x x

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Oni is correct, Us irish are responsible for the first whiskey
hehe that may not always be a good thing though

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Irish Whiskey has a long history dating back to around 500 AD. It is believed that monks began making Irish Whiskey in the sixth century when they discovered distilling during their missionary work in the Far East. Only Irish Whiskey is triple distilled which results in a smoother taste. The resulting drink was aptly named Uisce Beatha, or The Water of Life.

www.rulabula.com...

[edit on 28-6-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
According to a book I own, GROSSMAN'S GUIDE to Wines, Beers, and Spirits, which is a pretty encyclopedic text on alcoholic beverages, the issue isn't settled and a source of neverending controversy:

After the process of distillation was discovered, it was inevitable that man should use the product closest at hand, easiest to obtain, and least expensive. As a result, where there is an abundance of grain, whisky is distilled.

The word whisky comes from the Celtic uisgebeatha or uisgebaugh (pronounced whis-geh-BAW), the Scottish and Irish words, respectively, for "water of life." Whether it was the Scots or the Irish who first used the word or first distilled whisky is a source of never ending argument between them.

The English found the Celtic word too difficult and too long so they shortened and Anglicized it to whisky. The Canadians and the Scottish use the the same spelling, without the e; the Irish keep the e. The United States used to use the e; the B.A.T.F. now omits it in the Standards of Identity but permits its use in a traditional context.

Myself, I prefer Scotch to Irish Whiskey, I think it's a lot smoother.

[edit on 6/28/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have to agree with "djohnston77" about who made whiskey, it is still a cloudy issue, but I like to think it was the Irish

I will say Scotch is nice too. What I don’t care for is Canadian Rye’s or American Bourbons.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You will find its the Welsh who invented Whiskey, along with Captain Morgans Rum, Jack Daniels and even Stout. You have to remember that we were drinking the stuff long before we decided to be the Pilgrim Fathers. Take a look at the connections with USA here, you will be surprised. We dont credit ourselves with half of what we should and let others take the credit instead.

www.guildofglyndwr.co.uk...

Its a lot I know :-)

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The Welsh may have invented it, the Irish may lay claim to it. However, my favorite is Macallan Single Malt Blend Highland Scotch Whisky that was established in 1824. Some Scotch Whisky is made with the use of peet. I have never acquired a taste for the peet.

www.themacallan.com...

Did the Welsh invent the game of Golf as well, or do you, Mcphisto, concede this to the Scots? or maybe the Irish?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I dont care who invented it
I love it .
Irish whiskey I recommend : Tullamore Dew Very smooth ,very malty very complex flavour.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   

It is widely accepted that whisky has been distilled in Scotland for hundreds of years, and different hypotheses as to its origins have been suggested. Some state that is was broutht into the country by missionary from Ireland; others point out that, as the Arabs were among the first to learn distillation techniques , knights and men returning from Crusades could have brought the knowledge back from them. It may well be, however, that it evolved simply as a means of using up barley which would otherwise have been ruined after a wet harvest.

Taken from this site.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Just found this seem's very interesting

While the exact origins are lost in the mists of time, it is generally accepted that the ancient Celts (and yes, that would include the Scots, Irish, Cornish and Welsh) knew how to distill grains at least as far back as 800 BC.

Seems we may all be right, Whiskey seems to stem from celtic culture as a whole.Source

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

by Josekinuc
my favorite is Macallan Single Malt Blend Highland Scotch Whisky

From Scotch Ratings
Rating: 8
Macallan is a baby-boom startup in the Single Malt business from an old family-run distillery that was providing spirits for blending. Going public allowed them to fund a high-quality Single Malt. They only introduced their first 21 year old in the 1980's.

Please note the below error.

makeitso

new topics

top topics

join