It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more burning the US flag per Amendmant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The patriot in me says that it doesn't break my heart that flag burning disgusts some people enough to try to get a constitutional amendment banning it.

And the patriot in me says that, although it disgusts me to see the flag being desecrated, I have to support the right of the pencil-necks that would burn it.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
Forget burning flags. Why don't we just burn the Constitution? Seems that the First Amendment is already in flames...

Excellent post! Makes me wish I had a Way Above left...

I wonder how many Americans burn the flag... The only time I've seen a flag burning is in a foreign country and this amendment couldn't do a thing about that.

And if American flag-burners want to, they can just get a cloth 'similar' to the US flag and burn that. I predict someone will go into business making faux-flags with 12 stripes or 60 stars just for desecration purposes. It would still get the message across.

Besides everyone desecrates the flag now and then, even if they don't intend to. Bush writing on flags:

From the Flag Code:

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The burning of the American flag is one of the rights given to us by our first amendment of the constitution.

Marg I like reading your posts so please do not take my comments as a attack.

"U.S. Constitution: First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

The decision of the Supreme Court to allow flag burning does not give you any rights to burn a flag. It stated that a person can burn a flag as freedom of speech or expression.

What the SC said is.. you have a right to free speech and flag burning can be applied to that statement.. But the Supreme Court did not come out and say that you have a "right" under the 1st Amendment

This case came about to the opposition of a Texas law that banned burning of the flag. This was fought all the way up to the supreme court who then ruled it as opposed to 36 U.S.C. 171-178) The Flag code section.

There are many in this nation who feel that burning a US flag is OK.. but there are also Many in this country who do not feel the same way. I know my father tought me that the US Flag is not to be used as anything but a Flag.. (Although the little ones and plastic ones were not "flags" in his eyes) because he ran the local flag service for the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post.. A WWII Veteran who was raised in the 20's and the 30's during his childhood.

from what I can see.. the attitudes from todays generation about flag burning is just a way to say that we want to do what we want.. and burning the flag is one of them. Does it make it right? Not for me to say.. but I myself hate to think of Americans Burning a flag in protest. To me it is a Terrible way to practice freedom of speech.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join