It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allies Resist America Taking Away Their Terrorism Suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
MILAN, Italy -- U.S. allies have begun to resist Washington's secretive role in spiriting away terror suspects: Italy is investigating the disappearance of one accused militant as a kidnapping, Sweden wrote rules to assert its authority over outside agents and Canada is holding hearings after one of its citizens was sent to Syria.

At least two of the cases bear the hallmarks of the CIA's ''extraordinary rendition'' program -- stepped up after Sept. 11 -- in which the Bush administration has transferred dozens of suspects to third countries without court approval, subjecting them to possible torture.

In Italy, an Egyptian-born imam identified as Abu Omar had already drawn the attention of Italian anti-terrorism officials when he vanished off the streets of Milan two years ago, reportedly bundled into a van and flown back to Egypt from a joint U.S.-Italian air base.

"The prosecution is certain it was a kidnapping," prosecutor Armando Spataro said. He would not say who is suspected, citing judicial secrecy as the investigation is still under way.

Italian news reports say the CIA was believed to have played a role in the disappearance, and opposition politicians have demanded explanations from the government of Premier Silvio Berlusconi, a close ally of President Bush

source:
Chicago SunTimes

Seems to me that more and more stories of this kind appear all over Europe, where The Untouchable CIA performs their Undercover Operations in the Hunt for the Terrorists - breaking many International Laws in process.

I remember a certain case of Khaled el-Masri, a German Citizen, who was kidnapped outside Skopje, Macedonia and taken to Kabul, Afganistan. For the German prosecutor it was a Clear Case of kidnapping.

Today Italy, Sweden and Canada have similar Problems with the CIA and their Ghost Civilan Airline - Air CIA.

Related ATS threads:
C.I.A. Expanding Terror Battle Under Guise of Charter Flights
Aboard AIR C.I.A.
Air America II: The CIA's Ghost Civilian Airline: "Premier Executive Transport Service Inc"

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

in which the Bush administration has transferred dozens of suspects to third countries without court approval, subjecting them to possible torture.

Uhhh... Its called returning them to their original county where they were born especially if they are not a citizen of country they live in. Now if their original country supports torture, well that's too bad isn't it. I guess the suspect should have been supporting us in changing that when he decided to start planning.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Uhhh... Its called returning them to their original county where they were born especially if they are not a citizen of country they live in. Now if their original country supports torture, well that's too bad isn't it. I guess the suspect should have been supporting us in changing that when he decided to start planning.

What the Hell are You Talking About?!?

Returning them to Their Orignal Country?

They are citizens of Germany, Sweden, Italy, Canada - and they are Protected by The Laws that are in those Countries.

But apparently CIA is ABOVE all of "that Law Stuff".

The Hypochrisy of United States is clearly Shown by the CIA actions, which are by all International Definitions called TERRORISM!

[edit on 21/6/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
no, i do believe westpoint is correct at least in the case of the syrian, the CIA sent them home knowing their fate would be far worse than here in america.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
no, i do believe westpoint is correct at least in the case of the syrian, the CIA sent them home knowing their fate would be far worse than here in america.

Kiddaping Foreign Citizens is an Act of Terrorism.

But when CIA does it, its called "War on Terror".

Typical Cowboy BS!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ah, Berlusconi, one of the biggest criminals on the planet. Good to see more people questioing him.

Good for these countries sticking up for themselves too. These CIA operatives if caught in the act should be shot. If they are caught after they should be imprisoned indefinately without charge and tortured for information. They are engaged in terrorist activities after all.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Kiddaping Foreign Citizens is an Act of Terrorism.

But when CIA does it, its called "War on Terror".

Typical Cowboy BS!

Please re-read the article:

"In Canada, Defense Minister Bill Graham testified at a hearing that he was upset Washington did not consult Ottawa's leaders before deporting a Canadian citizen to Syria for questioning on suspicion of terrorism. The case was handled by the Justice Department as an expulsion and not a rendition by intelligence agents".

So, a dual citizen of Syria and Canada is in the US, and the Syrians (!) want to question him because they think he is a terrorist. So, we are supposed to just let this guy hang out, despite the fact that one of our "Axis of Evil" foes wants him for terrorism? I mean, sheesh, if Assad wants him he must be a real doosie.

"Graham also expressed surprise that Canadian officials apparently approved sending Maher Arar to his native country for questioning about alleged ties to al-Qaida".

So, we checked with Ottowa first, and they said "No Prob". Whats the big deal?

"Arar, 35, was traveling on a Canadian passport when he was stopped in New York during a stopover while returning to Canada from Tunisia. He was held for 12 days before being sent to Syria on suspicion of being a member of al-Qaida, an allegation he denies".

Lesson learned: if you associate with terrorists, don't plan on stop-overs in NYC. You fly into our country and are on a bad guy list, stand by to get jacked up. Next time take an ocean liner............

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Pyros:

Lesson learned: if you associate with terrorists, don't plan on stop-overs in NYC. You fly into our country and are on a bad guy list, stand by to get jacked up. Next time take an ocean line

Except he was INNOCENT. And he was tortured by the Syrians, with full knowledge of the US that this was happening. Are Syria and the US close? Do they have close diplomatic ties?

Hell no, but if the US wants to have someone tortured, they know the Syrians are their boys.

Lesson learned: If you have ever either knowingly or unknowingly associated with anyone the USA believes to be a terrorist, you will be abducted and sent by the USA to a country that has no qualms about torturing you.

Therefore, if the US knows that you will be tortured and they send you anyway, they are accomplices and thus guilty of torture.

It's simple, actually. The US government supports the torture of SUSPECTED terrorists. Not proven, but SUSPECTED.

Quite a bastion of truth and justice, eh?

Pfft.

jako

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
Lesson learned: if you associate with terrorists, don't plan on stop-overs in NYC. You fly into our country and are on a bad guy list, stand by to get jacked up. Next time take an ocean liner............

Define - "Associate with Terrorists".

I think that CIA uses a very WIDE definiton of that Word, but MOSTLY they use the "GUILTY until proven INNOCENT" Technique.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
didnt Pakistan just gave us the third top leader of Al Qaeda,
i mean u think allies who resist wouldnt give us a man who helped try to assasinate Musharraf twice and decided to just give him to us.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Of course the U.S will dissent all accusations upon themselves as abetting torture of prisoners on their own soil, but they have no qualms in sending suspects to contries where international treatise against torture hold no clout. Hypocricy is quite rampant in American politics, and it's blatancy is almost disgusting, as is the refusal of politicians and world leaders to denounce such acts.

Lesson learned: if you associate with terrorists, don't plan on stop-overs in NYC. You fly into our country and are on a bad guy list, stand by to get jacked up. Next time take an ocean liner...........

So, what of the CIA who has associated with terrorist and contra groups for decades? It's perfectly well that they can, but no others are not allowed? What of American corporations that sold Saddam Hussian biological and chemical agents, as they also sold him high-tech computer hardware and software?

Deep

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
didnt Pakistan just gave us the third top leader of Al Qaeda,
i mean u think allies who resist wouldnt give us a man who helped try to assasinate Musharraf twice and decided to just give him to us.

Since when is Pakistan a member of Axis of EVIL?

What Allies?

What Resistance?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Since when is Pakistan a member of Axis of EVIL?

What Allies?

What Resistance?

i never mention Pakistan as a member of Axis of Evil, where did u assume dat i mention about that. allies? well Pakistan is an ally or otherwise Musharraf be providing weapons to Al Qaeda and right now they trying to kill him for allying with America i dink that solves that mystery. wat resistance? many people criticize giving Taliban and Al Qaeda members to U.S. of A. of course Musharaff wont give America suspects that have citizenship of Pakistan.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
i never mention Pakistan as a member of Axis of Evil, where did u assume dat i mention about that. allies? well Pakistan is an ally or otherwise Musharraf be providing weapons to Al Qaeda and right now they trying to kill him for allying with America i dink that solves that mystery. wat resistance? many people criticize giving Taliban and Al Qaeda members to U.S. of A. of course Musharaff wont give America suspects that have citizenship of Pakistan.

Do you Think that Pakistan Authorities have ANY idea where OBL is at all?

Do you Think they have a vast Net of Spy Satellites?

Do you Think that they have Biggest and Baddest Intelligence Agency?

If USA wanted OBL, the would already HAVE HIM by now.

Its better that he is loose.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hmmm,

I would like to point out that the original source article is kind of misleading in a few aspects, at least in respect to Canada.

U.S. allies have begun to resist Washington's secretive role in spiriting away terror suspects: Italy is investigating the disappearance of one accused militant as a kidnapping, Sweden wrote rules to assert its authority over outside agents and Canada is holding hearings after one of its citizens was sent to Syria.

Yes, we are investigating the incident. But we are not investigating the US, we're trying to find out what went so horribly wrong on our end so it doesn't happen again. We have been assured by the US they will contact the correct authorities, in advance, in the future.

In Canada, Defense Minister Bill Graham testified at a hearing that he was upset Washington did not consult Ottawa's leaders before deporting a Canadian citizen to Syria for questioning on suspicion of terrorism.

Yes, I bet Bill was upset at the time. Bill Graham was the Foreign Affairs Minister when this happened, and is directly in the line of fire in Canada over this situation. He should have known about this before, not 2 days after this happened. Not only was he completely bypassed by the US (this kind of thing was his job); but he was made to look a fool.

Graham also expressed surprise that Canadian officials apparently approved sending Maher Arar to his native country for questioning about alleged ties to al-Qaida.

Would that perhaps be the RCMP? Not really within their purview to give the go-ahead on something like this.

Complaint into RCMP Conduct in Relation to the Deportation and Detention of Mr. Maher Arar

The complaint consists of a series of allegations, which are required to properly initiate the complaint in accordance with the RCMP Act. The complaint is made in order to address the merits of these allegations. Should the Chair be dissatisfied with the RCMP's response to the allegations, she can then conduct her own investigation.

Ms. Heafey stated, "Because of the national security implications, it will not be possible to publicly disclose all of the information to which the Commission will have access. However, Canadians must be assured that the RCMP is accountable to the public in the manner contemplated by law."

The complaint requires the RCMP to report on whether members of the RCMP improperly encouraged U.S. authorities to deport a Canadian citizen, Mr. Maher Arar, from U.S. territory to Syria. Similarly, it requires the RCMP to report on the allegation that members of the RCMP failed to discourage U.S. authorities from deporting a Canadian citizen, Mr. Maher Arar, from U.S. territory to Syria.

The RCMP must also report on whether members of the RCMP improperly divulged information and/or conveyed inaccurate or incomplete information about Mr. Maher Arar to U.S. and/or Syrian authorities.

I really only have one question about all of this: Why is a pig like Ernst Zundel, who doesn't even hold Canadian citizenship, deported to us instead of Germany, but we can't have our citizens sent back here?

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Duzey,

Thank You for your Post for Clearing things up.

I really only have one question about all of this: Why is a pig like Ernst Zundel, who doesn't even hold Canadian citizenship, deported to us instead of Germany, but we can't have our citizens sent back here?

Thats the Problem with CIA Logic.

They think they can Fight Terror with Terror.

They think that kidnaping a Foreign Citizen on Foreign soil, without informing the proper Foreign Authorities is the way to fight Terrorism - but infact, in this kind of actions the really define Terrorism.

They act like this:

"Hey, this citizen of yours is a Suspect. We ARE going to Kidnap him and Interrogate him!"

Not like this:

"Hey, this citizen of yours is a Suspect. CAN we Interrogate him?"

See the Difference?

top topics

join