It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungry for some whale meat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
As hard as it may seem to believe the issue of whaling is still being fought among nations. Some who will do almost anything to resume "legal" commercial whaling.

BBC Full Article Link

Whaling meeting 'may relax rules'

Pro-whaling nations seem set to command a majority of votes at the meeting of the International Whaling Commission which opens in South Korea on Monday.

Four developing countries have joined the IWC and are likely to vote with Japan which leads the pro-whaling bloc.

Japan has vowed to use any majority to scrap initiatives on conservation and welfare, but will almost certainly not be able to resume commercial whaling.

Conservation groups are alarmed at what they see as a damaging development.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is much more in the above linked report.

Japan has been alleged to have a history of effectively buying the votes of developing countries in the international whaling convention through offers of foreign aid.

The four new IWC nations now said to vote Japan's way are Cameroon, Gambia, Nauru and Togo.

I find it hard to believe that in this age and time so many are pushing for the killing of even more of these magnificent mammals of the sea.

The reality is that Japan already legally kills 800 of these mammals every year for a program of "scientific research", as is allowed to under the international whaling convention.

The meat from those whales ends up in the stomachs of Japanese people, and some say the scientific program is the same as commercial whaling in disguise.

Norway objected to the moratorium when it came into place, and catches hundreds of whales each year.

These whales are a source of both oil and meat for these nations.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This is disgusting

The only people who should be allowed to continue whaling are native peoples who depend on it such as some Eskimos.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Do they actually think that anyone is fooled by the "scientific research" line? If it were the truth, then Japan must have the most moronic scientists in the whole world, because even when they kill 800 whales every year, they still haven't been able to successfully produce any beneficial research from it. Unless they're researching how much whale sashimi a fat, Japanese businessman can eat in one sitting.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
:shk:

Haven't these people seen Star Trek IV?

What do the Japanese claim to be studying that takes 800 whales a year? Aside from the obvious one already stated by wcip.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
working around a gas station i know from some experience that the japanese use whale guts and that kind of nasty stuff in some type of lubricants instead of potroleum..but i mean its jsut a whale .. screw it clone some more or sometin

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ah on second thought I take back what I said. Screw the whales, let's all eat them! I bet they're quite tasty.

"Save the Whales" is so '80s....

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yeah, whales actually do taste good

...but only with a bit of dolphin sauce on top.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
maybe redlobster will have a new special ..grilled whale with lemon only 9.99

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well that's lovely. Let's "deny ignorance" by talking about how nasty it is to eat whale.

By the way, many Japanese people think it's equally disgusting that Westerns sit down to a dinner of large, under-cooked cow.

This is yet another example of how "denying ignorance" is only allowed to be a one way street on this site. Hmm, we can't understand why someone would want to eat whale, so let's make fun of them. A+ guys!

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
actually i would try whale..many westerners dont like japanese traditions..its all about what you like..and doesnt matter about someone bein a jackass about it..hince the previous postee

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The only people who should be allowed to continue whaling are native peoples who depend on it such as some Eskimos.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending but "Eskimo means eater of raw flesh, and has the same implications as chink or 'n-word'. the proper term is Inuit."
Inuit is the term that the original inhabitants of (northern) Canada and of Greenland use for themselves. In their language, Inuktitut, it is the plural of Inuit, which means man or person'

As for hunting whales It's just as bad as the Canadian seal hunts (Murders)

[edit on 19/6/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Yeah, whales actually do taste good

...but only with a bit of dolphin sauce on top.

Don't forget a side of shark fin soup!

Originally posted by Sauron
As for hunting whales It's just as bad as the Canadian seal hunts (Murders)

Some would argue otherwise, based on the respective populations of each species.

I'd prefer neither be killed, b ut that comes from a cultural standpoint where whale meat, nor blubber has any significance to me, and neither do seal pelts. Perhaps if I lived and grew up in a whale eating country, and grew up valuing seal pelts, I might think otherwise. But, having said that, there's always more emphasis on protecting an endangered species, more an international effort, than there is for protecting species that multiply and flourish.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality
By the way, many Japanese people think it's equally disgusting that Westerns sit down to a dinner of large, under-cooked cow.

You should try the Japanese dish Gyu Tataki. Raw beef slices served with garlic, spring onion and soy-flavoured sauce. Raw cow. Scrrrrrrumptious!!

[edit on 2005/6/19 by wecomeinpeace]

join