It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Allies Stand Up Against Secret Deportations (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Italy, Sweden, and Canada have all taken actions which run contrary to the Bush administrations policy of stepping up "extraordinary renditions," where individuals are deported without court approval to countries which can easily hold them incommunicado and use torture in extracting information.

news.yahoo.com
MILAN, Italy - U.S. allies have begun to resist Washington's secretive role in spiriting away terror suspects: Italy is investigating the disappearance of one accused militant as a kidnapping, Sweden wrote rules to assert its authority over outside agents and Canada is holding hearings after one of its citizens was sent to Syria.

At least two of the cases bear the hallmarks of the
CIA's "extraordinary rendition" program — stepped up after Sept. 11 — in which the Bush administration has transferred dozens of suspects to third countries without court approval, subjecting them to possible torture.

A U.S. counterterrorism official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the process is classified, said rendition dates back several administrations and is used to get only the most serious terrorists off the streets, where there are only limited options.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The United States' cavalier attitude towards international law seems to have rubbed some countries the wrong way. I think this is perhaps a case of too little, too late in the way of acts of protest, but every little bit helps. The so-called "War on Terror" is, or at least must be, an international effort. Without acting in concert with our allies, it will never succeed.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Lets hope the US listens, if not, well ........

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The whole problem I have with this is we are supposed to be the good guys. Since when did the good guys condone the use of 'harsh interrogation' through other countries with less moralistic methods? Im sorry, but that is something I would expect North Korea of doing. America has no right engaging in these activities if we are going to attempt a world wide value change, which is what 'the war on terror' amounts to.

I would say Bush had better take heed of what these countries are telling him. He is running out of friends abroad and at home as well. His support is waning and the population is in complete unrest with one another over political bickering. Im not so sure that America will stand another 3 and a half years of this.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I found this to be curious:

Citing conversations recorded by Italian anti-terrorism officials in a wiretap, the Corriere della Sera and La Repubblica newspapers reported that Omar, 42, called his wife and friends in Milan after his release last year. He recounted how he had been seized by Italian and American agents and taken to a secret prison in Egypt, where he was tortured with electric shocks. Italian officials say he is now living in Egypt, although Italian newspaper accounts suggested he was returned to custody in Egypt shortly after his release.

Emphasis mine.

Odd that this man, who was supposedly spirited away to a secret prison in Egypt, where he was allegedly tortured, is now living in the same country that tortured him, instead of returrning to his family in Italy?

new topics

top topics

join