It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I hear about freedoms being lost in the world today, and I've seen some interesting stuff occur. Patriot Acts, Christmas tree banning, etc.

I thought in this one post we could collect real occurences of "lost freedoms." This could be from personal experience, real news articles, things you have noticed, etc. The point being that these are real happenings.

What I hope to do is give reality on what "is" happening around the world regarding freedom, summed up in this one topic. This will help us determine what state we are in regarding our freedom. Are we really losing our rights, or is it an exaggeration?

Troy

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Christmas tree banning

Um, what?

Misfit

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Remember the word "Christmas" was being attacked, and it was more proper to say "Holiday." Christmas trees were reportedly being banned from public places, or proposed to be banned, something like that. This past Christmas. Does that ring a bell? It was happening in the US.

Troy

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Kelo vs. New London

There's really not much more to say...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Is that the case the Supreme Court just decided, giving the state the authority to seize private property?

That ruling is abominable. Every American should raise their voice to such a crescendo that their elected leaders move immediately to thwart that ungodly action.

If the state can do that, than private property is but an illusion.

And no one is safe.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I wonder what is the plan, really, when you suddently hear of homes being taken for "office buildings?"

Troy

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It's nothing new, really. County/city governments and likewise Federal have done this for a long time. It's just been more incremental and fiscally fair. This ruling throws out the baby with the bathwater and we're all screwed with no kiss.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Is it true we can still no longer go near the boarding area of airports without a ticket?

Being able to be with loved ones, etc. would then something we lost. It may be a small thing, but all those small things add up.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yes, it's true you cannot walk your loved one to the gate anymore. All this airport security is ridiculous. They only mask the real security issues that are not being addressed. Like people on the ground who handle food and cargo. Mechanics. Technicians.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
And, your friendly library can turn you in for various reasons, right?
The government is asking kids to trun in their parents!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
And, your friendly library can turn you in for various reasons, right?
The government is asking kids to trun in their parents!

My head's fuzzy at the moment. I can't remember if the library provision was allowed to remain in the Patriot Act.

Library staffs really took umbrage to that provision.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
You can't walk someone to the gate? Good grief. If you passed through all the other security, what's the big deal?

We will have ourselves "protected" into a "cage" if things don't stop.

Troy

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

mocking president bush: I belive in the land of freedom. One day in the future we will be free of terrorists. We will be able to walk down the street without frear. I see new laws, laws that will one day make a diffrence on our economy and the way things are ment to be................ that is what bush sounds like every time he talks. and by the way thats really all he dose is talk the never makes better for the us or the economy to what iv seen.

This country was free at one time or
was it. Today if you try to even think of
the word FREEDOM its more like it never
existed. Everything is being security this
security that or pass this NEW LAW for the
sake of keeping our freedom.. what a bunch
of lies the pesident speeks. he should be
promising thing he can and will accomplish
not what we want to hear.

[edit on 6/30/05 by shadowstriker]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
4th of July rolls in, I love the idea of a free America, hell, I love the idea of a free and united world. But what am I celebrating this year, another restriction, in the name of "security," a coming police state?

But truthfully, it is us, the people of this world, who are going to decide our fate. We should never let a handful of jerks ruin our lives on this planet.

Or we could sit here and let it all come to pass, oblivious, watching "Amercan Idol" tv shows, and too numb from the Pharmecutical industries drugs to even notice the thick steel walls being erected around us.

Troy

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

Or we could sit here and let it all come to pass, oblivious, watching "Amercan Idol" tv shows, and too numb from the Pharmecutical industries drugs to even notice the thick steel walls being erected around us.

Troy

Unfortunately, that's just about where the majority of us are at here in the states right now.

Pass the pipe.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I know, to some folks, tv shows and such are "life. "

Troy

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I personally don't care if Xmas trees are banned, because Xmas is not even a Christian holiday to begin with. Did you know that the Puritans banned Xmas because it's a Catholic (or popish) holiday?

But that's the ACLU for ya--if people think it's Christian, they want it banned. Which goes to show their blind hate!

I bet if the ACLU knew it was actually pagan, they'd encourage Xmas trees on every corner!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
I personally don't care if Xmas trees are banned, because Xmas is not even a Christian holiday to begin with. Did you know that the Puritans banned Xmas because it's a Catholic (or popish) holiday?

But that's the ACLU for ya--if people think it's Christian, they want it banned. Which goes to show their blind hate!

It's nice to know that you understand the holiday known as "Christmas" is actually pagan.

Do you know why?

Blinde hate... Can you give me three cases to support you contention:

?

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Christmas trees are a harmless, no need to ban anything. The point really is about freedoms being taken away. Jewish folks can celebrate the way they want. Chinese folks can celebrate what they want. I'm not forced into anothers holidays because of the way they celebrate.

I'm just hearing so much silly stuff, silly rules, silly laws, silly restrictions.

Troy

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
All that celebratory stuff is just fluff.

Let the great debate between Catholocism and Christianity begin!!!

top topics

join