It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual Memory Error's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Ok, I typed in the words to search and nothing popped up so hopefully this is not a repeat question. Feel free to direct me if it is.

I have been recently getting a lot of virtual memory error's and I don't know what they mean. The basic error message is that my memory is short and is being expanded to handle it. In my business I work with very large text, graphic and image files and have what I thought was a computer that handles it fine and has for some time. I am also a very multi application user and have many work items open at once.

Can someone explain to me what virtual memory really is and whether it is some sort of purchase and fix item? Sure I could not have as many things open at once but it is necessary for my job to get things done timely.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I don’t know if this will help you but it is a starting point.

If the programs you are currently running require more memory than is available, Windows uses free space on your hard drive to allow the programs to run. If you do not have enough free space available on your hard drive, you will receive one of the following error messages:

In Windows 2000/XP: "Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your Virtual Memory Paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help."

To fix this problem:

Close any unnecessary programs.
Determine how much virtual memory your computer has. If the setting is too low, increase it for optimum performance. For instructions, click the appropriate link below
Link

What is virtual memory?

Determining Amount of Virtual Memory in Windows 2000 / XP

Microsoft Link
“Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

[edit on 17/6/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
That can be caused by adware\virus activity. Virtual memory is a section of hard drive that is reserved for stuff that kind of overruns your real or RAM memory. Since it's on the hard drive it can be expanded, I'd check for spyware/virus/adware first and see if you are infected. I use this site's free scanner a lot it works pretty good.

TrendMicro Housecall

Pick the second one with the NEW button on it. It loads an activex control and scans for all the above. Maybe that will give you a place to start. I've learned that you need more than one scanner or protection program now. I use this one as a second or third option.

join