It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old White Republican Mormons from Mesa vs. the ACLU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here's an article from today's local newspaper, the Arizona Republic:

www.azcentral.com...

At the swearing-in party for Gilbert officials at Town Hall last week, the Red Mountain Blue Grass Band, a six-piece group of adults who play for fun, performed.

Their top hit, and it got them belly laughs, is an original about an endangered species: Old, White Republican Mormons from Mesa.

"We were all in stitches," said Mayor Steve Berman, who asked the group to play. "The people who laughed the hardest were Mormons. The idea was to have an inauguration that was fun."

Berman said he didn't think that performing the tune in a municipal building crossed the Constitutional line between church and state.

"But I don't know what the ACLU will say," he said.

Well, I should hope the ACLU will step up to the plate and get some sort of injunction. A taxpayer-supported gathering -- especially an official inauguration -- should not cater to a bunch of hillbilly bluegrass cultists, regardless of how many "belly laughs" they got!

[edit on 16-6-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Well, I should hope the ACLU will step up to the plate and get some sort of injunction. A taxpayer-supported gathering -- especially an official inauguration -- should not cater to a bunch of hillbilly bluegrass cultists, regardless of how many "belly laughs" they got!

Is that the same group of crazies that take up to 70 wives a piece and have run their male offspring off?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't think so -- five or six wives, max.

join