It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth-like planet found !!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Everyone turn on CNN right now if you can! Miles O'brien will be talking about this soon! Another earth-like planet not to far away from us! Ground breaking news! One of us!!!

[edit on 15-6-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It will be talked about in the current segment. So tune in and watch CNN for the next 15 minutes or so, I'll report back here what they have to say so you all know! The next solar system over has at least one earth-like planet! Yay!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It will be talked about in the current segment. So tune in and watch CNN for the next 15 minutes or so, I'll report back here what they have to say so you all know! The next solar system over has at least one earth-like planet! Yay!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
haha i dont know what channel that is!!!!

edit: found it but its just about cheney right now, but i cant wait to see this

[edit on 13-6-2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I switched it there, and there is this guy talking LIVE, about touching terrorists and that the terrorists are comfortable.. etc.

Eating chicken every day IS torture.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I just flipped to CNN and some senator is telling us what the prisoners are eating at Gitmo...great.

Wasn't Miles O'Brien the engineer on Star Trek?

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm guessing that this is the planet they'll be talking about for those who can't wait

www.astrobiology.com...

and another link

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 13-6-2005 by pantha]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah, right now it's terrorist talk, but soon Miles O'Brien will talk about this new Earth-like planet...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The surface of the planet is hot and has been estimated from observations and calculations to be between 400-700F.

that doesnt sound very earthlike..

it just showed all the stuff coming up and an amazing new planet wasnt one of them

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It's not really like earth at all.

Anyways, lol not much of a big deal, I got better things to do.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Ksnazdnzon]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
They'll talk about it soon. Just be patient or what ever, they always do their terrorist/wall street crap first. Then they cover the good stuff like planet discoveries the last 2 minutes of the show.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

The surface of the planet is hot and has been estimated from observations and calculations to be between 400-700F.

that doesnt sound very earthlike..

"The planet is between 6 to 9 times the mass of Earth and orbits its host star once every 1.9 days at a distance of 2 million miles."

Also not very earth like. But at least on that planet, you'd live to be thousands of years old

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well, until now all they've found are gas giants. The discovery of a rocky extrasolar planet is a pretty big deal, as is the fact that it's fairly small(cosmologically speaking) and we detected it.

This is a pretty cool find actually. One question though, that picture in the article could be misleading....I doubt we have a view of the planet like that!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yes, but you must see that our Earth-like planet hunting skills are improving to where we can dectect a planet almost the same size as earth which is what we're looking for to find ETs I would think...

He just mentioned it!!! Miles O'Brien CNN next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
haha they were more enthusiastic about the new 'spin' on coca-cola.
why do they do such things to us. this planet is nothing like earth except the fact that it orbits a star. theyre not even sure what its made of!

i know im really impatient but seriously they are making a HUGE deal out of this new coke zero

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Again, not a gas giant, so that right there is a big difference... If a rocky core, then it really ups the odds for finding similar such extrasolar planets..and those are the ones most likely to harbor life. Remember, in the boiling hot sea vents, we still find life on Earth folks....

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The new planet whips around the star in a mere two days, and is so close to the star's surface that its dayside temperature probably tops 400 to 750 degrees Fahrenheit (200 to 400 degrees Celsius)--oven-like temperatures far too hot for life as we know it.

www.nsf.gov...

This site has a little more information about the discovery and the science behind it. I would like to comment, though, that we shouldn't assume that any extraterestrial life (if ever found) will be as we know it!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
SWEET!

Maybe next: Planet with life

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

i know im really impatient but seriously they are making a HUGE deal out of this new coke zero

Yes the planet is great whatever, But I'd like to hear more of this coke zero......

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The new planet orbits Gliese 876 which is interesting because that star also has two other planets, both are Jupiter size gas planets though. It is very exciting because we are not just finding extra-solar planets we are finding new solar systems as well!!!!!! We should be able to map solar systems all around us in the next few decades and what better incentive for really ramping up space exploration, something that all of here are desperately wishing for. What an exiting time in Astronomy/Cosmology/Physics.

Here is a link with a little info on the two other planets orbiting Gliese 876:
exoplanets.org...

Also, when the French COROT (COnvection, ROtation and planetary Transits) craft goes up next year we should get a much better idea exactly what the planet is made of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join