It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reversable State of suspended Animation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
While looking around, I came upon an interesting article.

Torpor on Demand

by Ron Dagani

Chemical and Engineering News

Hydrogren Sulfide is considered a posionous gas that is lethal at high concetrations. At low concertrations it has been found to induce a metabolic state of suspended animation in labritory animals.

Labritory mice exposure to 80 ppm reduced their oxygen consumption, their carbon dioxide output declined, their metabolic energy consumption dropped by 90 percent, and their core body tempurature dropped. In this hibernation-like state, cellular activity slowed to a near standstill. When hydrogen sulfide was removed , the mice returned to normal activity and showed no apparent signs of any ill effects.

The mechanism of the process isn't understood. It is unknown whether hydrogen sulfide will have the same effect in humans or higher animals. There are medical situtations where induced hibernation would be useful, such as awaiting organ transplants and tissue preservation.

Didn't know if anyone has seen this yet.

-Aza

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
good find
Do you have a link to the original article? I'd be interested to see how much research has been done on this. Sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Good stuff!!!

Here is an article from livescience.com talking about the experiment and it's possible uses.

www.livescience.com...

"We think this may be a latent ability that all mammals have – potentially even humans – and we're just harnessing it and turning it on and off, inducing a state of hibernation on demand," Roth said.

The results are detailed in the April 22 issue of the journal Science.

The amazing thing is that we naturally produce hydrogen sulfide in our bodies. The applications are endless, and if we can harness this it makes interstellar travel a real possibility.

The lay term for the gas is "sewer gas". This is the same stuff that can kill sewer and industrial workers.

Nature never ceases to amaze me.

new topics

join