It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Got Started...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Interesting.. It's doing something...

But I have no idea what I am looking at here...

Care to explain?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
heh heh heh a mod with no answer lol

looks pretty impresive though but i think our time is best spent researching new ways of space travel so we can put observatories further out.
And maybe travel a bit too bit i find amazing is that by telling what colours come back they can tell which elements things are made out of impressive stuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
hehe lol.

Um_gazz, what you're looking at is SETI analizing recorded radiowaves from the universe. There isn't much to see really, just run it in the background. After several hours, it reports the finished workunit to the seti server, and downloads a new one...

The SETI version you are using right now will soon be replaced by a new system, called BOINC: boinc.berkeley.edu...
Here is a tutorial on how to switch from the classic SETI (which is what you are using right now) to SETI@BOINC: www.abovetopsecret.com...

SETI can become boring after a while, because it seems you're not doing something with direct results.( no important signals have been found for years). With the BOINC client, you can also participate in other distributed computing projects, like Einstein@home, or Climateprediction.net they're much more interesting, to my opinion. You can find more info on those projects on the BOINC website.

All the major BOINC projects have an AboveTopSecret.com team, I created them earlier this week: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Great stuff Zion

Thanks!!!

I have done a bit more reading and research here since my first post where I had no clue.

There seems to be no impact on my system at all.. I keep it running and it has not slowed me down at all.

Interesting concept all around.. using a server and the internet to link computers to data.. in a way creating a super computer?

Still have more reading to do!

BTW.. BOINC? do you have to change to this to run SETI@home?

I looked at the list in your other post and this one I had to look at twice!

BURP@HOME
BURP aims to develop a publicly distributed system for rendering 3D animations.
Project is in pre-alpha test mode
Project URL: burp.boinc.dk...
ATS TEAM: burp.boinc.dk...

- JOIN: burp.boinc.dk...
- CREATE: burp.boinc.dk...

Sounds like fun!!

Gazz

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Interesting concept all around.. using a server and the internet to link computers to data.. in a way creating a super computer?

Yup you got it. The SETI@home project has more teraflops than the avergage supercomputer

BTW.. BOINC? do you have to change to this to run SETI@home?

Well not yet, but you'd have to, eventually. the seti@home project has been around for over 6 years I believe. If they had sticked to the origional planning, the classic seti@home project should already have been stopped. I dont know when you downloaded and registered at he classic SETI@home, but I believe new accounts can no longer be created...

You should download BOINC, and activate your SETI account here: setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu... . This will link your current classic seti@home account to your new SETI@home BOINC account. But this only works if your classic account was created before 23 March 2005. If you signed up after that date, you have to create a new BOINC account and lose all the classic seti@home WU's (work units).

I looked at the list in your other post and this one I had to look at twice!

BURP@HOME
BURP aims to develop a publicly distributed system for rendering 3D animations.
Project is in pre-alpha test mode
Project URL: burp.boinc.dk...
ATS TEAM: burp.boinc.dk...

- JOIN: burp.boinc.dk...
- CREATE: burp.boinc.dk...

Sounds like fun!!

When you donwload and install BOINC, you can sign up for the BURP project with the CREATE link. This project, however, is in pre-alpha state, which means it's probably doesn't have much work for it's participants. But when you sign up for multiple projects, like SETI & BURP, your computer will never be short on BOINC data to crunch. I myself run SETI & Einstein, because SETI is so popular, their servers often crash (happens at least once a week!) so then my computer only runs Einstein@home.

top topics

join