It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stem cell reaserch. cure of the future... or the end of religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
the House passed a bill on may 24th that will help to expand the current policy, despite 2 veto threats from the white house.

stem cell reaserch is beleived to heal spinal chord injuries and PARKINSON'S
disease!! whats not to like?

[edit on 10-6-2005 by midgetstar]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I can understand the Moral delema facing many Americans regarding Stem Cell Research. For one thing, depending on how you look at it ... Life was created, I believe life is created at conception and not birth.... in that case you are taking away a life.

But on the Moral subject I always come back to this quote, " If I am not supposed to do this, than why can I?"

Ok ... but Stem Cell Research IS being conducted by other countries and they WILL beat us to the punch and they will get all the patents, and make all the money ... because they will sell it to us Americans'. It has the potential to cure most disease. I think saying just parkinsons is not telling the whole truth. Stem Cells do not have a specific purpose yet, they can become any type of cell. Unlocking the secrets to Stem Cell Research is the next great science in human evolution.

Say, it is killing "potenial" life... the soul enters and is killed and goes right to heaven... so why is the christian right against this?

Also, so ok ... say that this type of science is Immoral! ... We don't live in The United States of Jesus. We live in a society that is FREE from any Specific Religion. So why are we forced to live, Good Christian Lives ... or else, we end up in Prison... for non-violent crimes???

This Country is soo Ass Backwords! Do you people understand what FREEDOM is? Then why because you don't like something... you don't allow anyone to do it. Thats not freedom...that is oppression of others freedoms and values...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
But on the Moral subject I always come back to this quote, " If I am not supposed to do this, than why can I?"

Yes I agree. If we were truly not wanted to these things, we would not have the ability.

Life was created, I believe life is created at conception and not birth.... in that case you are taking away a life.

In the bill it says stem cells from adults, and umbilical cord blood wil be used.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After impassioned debate, the House passed a controversial bill Tuesday that would expand public funding for embryonic stem cell research -- a measure President Bush threatened to veto last week.

The vote was 238-194, short of the two-thirds supermajority of 290 necessary to override a veto. The measure now goes to the Senate.

The House then overwhelmingly passed a Republican-backed proposal that would use federal money to study stem cells taken from adults and umbilical cord blood, instead of using human embryos.

www.cnn.com...

Stem cell research can cure ALOT of diseases, and this is very good for mankind, at least in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charlie Murphy

That's the dumbest quote. I can steal your car, so I guess it's ok? I bet I could beat you to death, why not? I can burn your house down or put a bullet in your head at better than a thousand yards. Why not? I can do it. I guess the reason I don't is out of respect for law and order and you. Where did I learn respect for life?

Now as far as stem cell research goes, it's a big scam. Nobody is saying you can't do stem cell research. They're just saying you can't use our tax money to do it. With as much money as the medical,pharmacutical companies make, they need tax money to do research???? They can bite me. It's just like when Reps were giving excuses to support the Presidents policy to land on Mars. If we pay for it, just think of all the new techs we might find. That would be ok if I didn't have to pay for the research and the drug or whatever. I pay for the research and sombody else gets rich if they actually discover something and then try to charge me for use of something I helped pay for the R and D for.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
There should be no question. Stem cell research can help people so much. I don't see what is so wrong about it, or even what moral dilemma's it brings up.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit

That's the dumbest quote. I can steal your car, so I guess it's ok?

He was talking about if God didn't want us to do certain things, we wouldn't be able to. The choice to do it and the ability to do it are completely different.

Now as far as stem cell research goes, it's a big scam.

Could you please explain how a cure for so many diseases including diabetes, spinal cord paralysis, heart disease, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease, cancer, and MS is a scam? I am a conspiracy theorist, but I think your taking it a bit too far.

Nobody is saying you can't do stem cell research. They're just saying you can't use our tax money to do it. With as much money as the medical,pharmacutical companies make, they need tax money to do research????

Huh?

[edit on 11-6-2005 by Charlie Murphy]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Can it not be both and end and a future?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
thanks to all for the comments

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There have been more promising breakthroughs in adult stem cell research. Yet the media tends to only report about the so-far minor breakthroughs in embryonic stem cell research, which is of course controversial.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I am a relegious view and belive in God but i am for stem cell.

As far as it can help the people it good but this stuff should be put under an intensive supervison. You dont want a mad scientist on the bunch using it for his own personal thing

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sorry, im young i dont quite understand what stem cell are or how they work.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
stem cells can be found before a baby has a chance to develop. they are universal cells that can be formed into any specific type of cell on command. one stem cell could become a skin cell, a red blood cell, a white blood cell, a nerve cell, etc........ hope that that little bit helps

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I suppose the only forseeable problem with the research is creating these little life forms just for harvest. If we can get by that little obstacle, then the next question is; will it be available to everyone, or just the rich 1%.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If your child were ill would this still be a question??? I think answering that question alone gives you the answer to the stem cell research question!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
nahhhh...I'd break laws for my kids..Im thinking these questions as a member of society. When it comes to mine, Im rather selfish in my thinking.
But, as a society, is it a good idea to lower the value of the unborn to help another person out. hell, im pro-choice and if you get the opportunity to run a business selling your old lady's unborn fetus' for a tidy profit to pfizer or whoever, more power to ya. Maybe some rich old banker with Parkinson's would cut you a hell of a check for some stem cells that would just end up to be a burden on society anyway. I dunno....maybe I should rant in the Rants section about this. No offense to anyone's belief systems, it's just an observation among the masses.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
i still dont get this, and if someone has an explination id LOVE to hear it, is how a POTENTIAL life.....lets read that again, POTENTIAL, as in maybe gonna happen, maybe not, outweighs an existing ACTUAL LIFE? i have never understood the grounds that anti stem cell groups stand on. is it just me, or is this wacked?..........oh, and dont forget, the same people who vote this stuff down will happily spend HALF A TRILLION dollars on weapons, which last time i looked, destroyed both actual and potential life.

join