It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changes on Stargate SG1...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the previews for the next season of SG-1 and noticed a few new characters? First of all, it looks like Ben Browder, the guy who played John Crichton in Farscape is joining the team. I find this especially neat since I love Farscape and last season Claudia Black who played Aeryn (Crichton's love interest) guest starred on the show. During one of the previews it looked like the two of them had met.

This is a real treat for those of us who were upset by Farscape's cancellation. Anyway, it also looks like Beau Bridges is joining the show too. I haven't seen any sign of Colonel O'neil though. I really hope Richard Dean Anderson is still on the show, it wouldn't be the same without him. Though if Ben Browder plays the same kind of character as he did with Crichton, it might be weird. O'Neil and Crichton have similar personalities...sarcastic, never taking anything seriously, and making hilarious comments about the weird situations they're in. Might get interesting....

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Anderson is only going to be in the First episode as a sort of hand-off, he wants work close to home due to fatherhood or some stuff like that.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Anderson is only going to be in the First episode as a sort of hand-off, he wants work close to home due to fatherhood or some stuff like that.

Ah, man...I really hope this doesn't kill Stargate. Because I can't imagine the show without the guy.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx

Originally posted by sardion2000

Ah, man...I really hope this doesn't kill Stargate. Because I can't imagine the show without the guy.

No no no, He's still in the series just not in every episode. Imagine Michael Shanks when he'd ascended, when he made cameos but more often. Amanda Tapping isnt going to be in series 9 as much either due to family stuff (unfortunatly!!!)

(edit) The character played by ben has been in the series for years, you just haven't heard of him. He was the X-302 Squadron leader in the episode 'The Lost City' and has been assigned to SG-1 by Jack O'neill as a personal request if memory serves correctly!!!

...i need to get out more...

[edit on 30/6/05 by Stuey1221]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Amanda Tapping is wicked pretty and smart! *girl power!*

i really like star gate atlanis. the rathe were coming and they had no defence weapons!!! ooohhh i was on the edge of my seat!
cant wait till that comes on again!

oni x x

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've not really watched Atlantis, mainly cos im at work when its on in the UK
so im just gonna wait until they come out on DVD i reckon... are they worth buyin?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
it is good, at the begging i was like *they are trying to be team SG1*
but once you got into it, you see they have their own personalitys and its a bit more sereal than SG1. but it is worth buying in my opinion.

oni x x

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Atlantis isn't bad, but it needs to be reminded that it's a character piece more often.

The decline of Stargate has begun. The cast has been gutted. RIP, SG1.

RDA will make token appearances in season 9, as will Amanda Tapping. She's having a kid (it was pretty obvious in Moebius, which was a garbage episode anyways), so I don't expect we'll be seeing much of her.

I am sad. So I will buy the DVDs.

DE

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
DeusEx -- I don't agree on the decline of Stargate beginning -- I am enjoying the new characters so far. I hope the old characters appear often maybe alternating or somthing because they were great - but so far the new season is great.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a straight man secretly in love with Ben Browler. However even though I really want to like him in this show, the past two episodes do nothing for me. SG1 jumped the shark quite some time ago and I don't think that anything can save it now short of firing the writers.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a straight man secretly in love with Ben Browler. However even though I really want to like him in this show, the past two episodes do nothing for me. SG1 jumped the shark quite some time ago and I don't think that anything can save it now short of firing the writers.

No. This is a new start for them. I have seen ever episode ever made and I would say that the new season has turned out very interesting and well put together so far.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Personally, I wanted the writers lined up and shot for Season 8.

See, the thing is...we don't want a new start. We want an end to the original story of SG1.

DE

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well lets hope pasty-faced guys in robes and Louis Gossett Jr. are decent enough villains to give the SG-1 team some trouble. I do have to say that Crichton is a nice replacement for O'Neil. As I thought, they're pretty much the same character. I still don't know about Vala...it just seems weird that they would let a space thief go on missions.

I've also noticed that the show has shifted towards the comedic. There's almost no serious content anymore. It's as if the writers are making fun of their own show....I guess you can do that after 8 seasons.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Personally, I wanted the writers lined up and shot for Season 8.

See, the thing is...we don't want a new start. We want an end to the original story of SG1.

DE

It is still not over, and who is this "We". I am a member of several of the most popular SG-1/Atlantis boards and the real fans do not share your opinions.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
As a die-hard Stargate fan I am loving this new development.
They've done 8 seasons, they HAVE to bring some new people in to make it interesting. Repeating old stories would be much worse.
Besides, Stargate storyline has never been a simple constant one. Many stories have been built into the show as the seasons progressed, the system lords and their wars, asgard, the replicators, ancients, the trust etc, etc.

So the new characters are a most welcome change, IMO.
They can now build on their stories and bring more new stuff to Stargate.

As for Atlantis, that show absolutely rocks. The characters are awsome, specially McKay
I love that dude.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
As for Atlantis, that show absolutely rocks. The characters are awsome, specially McKay
I love that dude.

And Assistance Director Skinner is a very welcome addition to the show as well.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Of course everyone loves McKay! He's Canadian!

Jetsetter, Stargate isn't what you'd call a 'character piece'. However, the characters have grown over time, and to have O'Neill shuffled off to appear in a cameo or two was not only a horrible decision on the part of the writers, but a great disservice to the fans.

Stargate SG1 is about the team and their adventures, no? Well, the team is all but gone now. Amanda Tapping and RDA, two of the core characters, have all but left the show. The team is dissolved, so what's carrying the show now? I am by no means berating Micheal Shanks or Christopher Judge, but now what?

As for my comments on Season 8, the writers made a very, very weak showing in attempting to switch the show into a character development piece. This resulted in Moebius -easily the weakest, most half assed season finale I have ever seen- and other such abominations. Sure, the season started out not-badly, with New Order, Lockdown and Zero Hour, which were true to the show. After that, we see a series of character pieces which seem hastily written and uninspired. After that, we have Reckoning and Threads, which set up for an excellent season finale (or series finale, had the writers such grace). And then, we get Moebius...which is utterly, totally irrelevant and nonsensical. So, in review- no story arc, crappy ending.

Let's compare this to Season three, or season four...or the magnum opus, season seven. There are three episodes in the entire season seven that could be considered 'subpar', and even then it's only a comparison to the utter brilliance of episodes such as Heroes and Lost City. In fact, Lost City SHOULD have been the end of the series, by all rights. Now, we have this lurching travesty. The people I talk to agree with me, it seems. I haven't seen season nine, and I have no desire to.

You want newness, perhaps instead of trying to prop up SG1, there should be a second spinoff made based on the formation of a new flagship team. Instead of shuffling off two of the lead characters to a limbo of desk-jobbery with no closure, I suggest that there be some slight closure to the myriad issues and relationships of the past eight years, and you bombast me? So, the Sam/Jack relationship should just float, Teal'c should run off and become a secondary character, and Jack should simply fade into nothingness?

Come on, jet. You know better than that.

DE

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's a freaky deaky sci fi character implosion. Alexa Doig (Andromeda's Avatar) is the new no nonsense Doctor now.

It's cool.... but it's sad. It's just... sad.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
jetsetter your avatar is cool..

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
It's a freaky deaky sci fi character implosion. Alexa Doig (Andromeda's Avatar) is the new no nonsense Doctor now.

It's cool.... but it's sad. It's just... sad.

Trivia!

She's Micheal Shank's (Daniel Jackson) wife. I guess the managed to jump off that sinking ship that was andromeda.

DE

top topics

<<   2 >>

join