It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about matter.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   
this might be a stupid question, im not no scientist, or anything like that.
All matter is made from atoms right, well is it possible, there is some strange kind of matter that is made from some kind of particles totaly different then atoms.
A particle of some kind that is maybe a million or more times smaller, or a million times larger.

If there is a chance, then wouldnt it be possible there could be an alien race where the aliens are microscopic, or the exact oppisite, they could be huge, 100' tall aliens. i mean, it just seems odd all these UFO guys expect to see an alien close in size to us.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KINGKONG
this might be a stupid question, im not no scientist, or anything like that.
All matter is made from atoms right, well is it possible, there is some strange kind of matter that is made from some kind of particles totaly different then atoms.
A particle of some kind that is maybe a million or more times smaller, or a million times larger.

If there is a chance, then wouldnt it be possible there could be an alien race where the aliens are microscopic, or the exact oppisite, they could be huge, 100' tall aliens. i mean, it just seems odd all these UFO guys expect to see an alien close in size to us.

Anything is possible.... Scientists used to balk at the idea of different dimensions but now the term Multiverse is becomming common place. Whoes to say that we are microscopic to some alien race somewhere out there?

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The genral term that should be used here is perspective, for example for microscopic organisms live on the microscopic level, that is the world they know and live in, then there are insects and things, 10 miles to them would seem an unimaginable distance and they would assume that the area they are in is the whole universe, then theres us we see the earth the solar system and the universe, this is our perspective.
thinking about things this ways gives the theory that the universe is only a small peice of the real thing. so in essance you are correct, because for all we know our universe as we know may just be the space between an atom of something on a much larger scale, so really is not about size and distance its just a matter of perspective.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
beautifuly said, thats exactly what i was tryin to say. ive always felt with all the scientists, and theory's they have, none are close. its just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Whoes to say that we are microscopic to some alien race somewhere out there?

Actually, we're all in a locker, at an airport for giant aliens...didn't you see the movie?

Seriously...what if we're living in a dreamworld made by others, and they are the ones who actually exist? What if we are ghosts, and what we call "ghosts" are actually living people? Reality for one, is governed solely by that one's perceptions. Reality for you and me, are likely two different things...likewise, our view of reality will be quite different from that of one in a psyche ward (who may live in a drastically different reality (at least in his own awareness). So, then it begs the question...which is actually reality? Physical reality, or perceived reality?

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thats a good point, what is reality?? how do we know that this is all real?

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Whoes to say that we are microscopic to some alien race somewhere out there?

Actually, we're all in a locker, at an airport for giant aliens...didn't you see the movie?

Seriously...what if we're living in a dreamworld made by others, and they are the ones who actually exist? What if we are ghosts, and what we call "ghosts" are actually living people? Reality for one, is governed solely by that one's perceptions. Reality for you and me, are likely two different things...likewise, our view of reality will be quite different from that of one in a psyche ward (who may live in a drastically different reality (at least in his own awareness). So, then it begs the question...which is actually reality? Physical reality, or perceived reality?

i like the way you think, doesnt it send your mind into a spin when you think about it. how could we ever know the truth. its somthing science will never be able to prove one way or another.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
*cough* Going back to original point. The likelyhood of very tall aliens, ie 100' ones, is doubtful. Our height is generally proportionate to a planets mass or gravity. The larger the planet the shorter its inhabitants would be.

-Ike

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Now your gona get me started here cause this is fun.
Nutreanos are born out of the fussion reactions of the sun. They are products of the weak nuclear force. One of four fundimental forces which eminate from all matter.
Nutreanos are very small so the answer is yes. If a Proton was the size of the moon your Nutreano would be the size of basketball. Very small eh. Most of an actual atom is empty space so these little buggers zip though everything no worries. To measure nutreano radiation scientists use mercury baths in salt mines. You have billions of the littile buggers passing through your body as you read.

Tacyons are even more fun. They too are born out of fussion reactions. The little buggers are born into this universe at a speed faster than light. Ergo they must enter from a negative temporal reality. A rare glimpse of the other half of reality.

Atoms are much easyer to understand when you except that they are energy. I have often wondered where atoms get the power to gernerate a gravitional field. Einstien realized that they do not get power from anywhere. This is because atoms are the central points of distortions with in the universal field. UFT states that enery and matter are condenstions of a Universal Field.

As you see reductionism fails us here. Taoism is a much better vehical for understanding the way objects are related.

[Edited on 23-8-2003 by enoch]

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
For INFO purposes only:
neutrenos are sub atomic particles released when things like nuclear expltions and supernovas occur. They will travel through matter, through YOU.

In an atom are protons, nutrons, and electrons. Those are each made up of other particles called leptons and quarks. For each charged lepton or quark (quarks come in pairs) there is a neutral lepton (or neutral PAIR of quarks) These neutral leptons and quarks are called neutrinos. Neutrinos have a magnetic spin that is always in the reverse direction of it's velocity (left helicity). (the anti-neutrino's velocity is always in the SAME directionas it's velocity.(right helicity))

KingKong, here is my basic understanding of the particles that make up atoms (in size order as best I could figure). (I left out a bunch of them, because there are a lot more, but these are some of the more basic ones)

Neutron

Proton

Electron (a kind of Lepton, along with the Muon and the tau... the tau is much much larger than an electron (mass))

Quark (up, down, strangeness, charm, bottom, and top)

Pion (passed between the proton and neutron in the nucleus of an atom)

STRINGS! (A relatively new theory that everything (including all the particles listed above states that all of everythin in the universe including energy and light is made up of TINY TINY TINY things called strings... it's really confusing to actually work out on paper, but if you read about it, it's not that bad.) superstringtheory.com...

[Edited on 23-8-2003 by Greyhaven]

top topics

join