It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman gives birth after ovary transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This gives hope to thousands of women who have had ovary cancer. There is hope out there. This poor woman became menapausal at 14.
Wishing her all the best in the fun to come.

www.cnn.com...

Stephanie Yarber, 25, gave birth Monday night to a 7 pound, 15 ounce girl named Anna, said her sister, Melanie Morgan. It was the sister who donated the ovarian tissue that made Yarber fertile.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This is wonderful news for the two sisters, and perhaps the family, I probably would have done anything for my sister if she had problems with reproduction or for that matter any health related problems that I could donated anything to her.

But is ramifications for everything and is people that will do anything for profits.

I am afraid that we will see soon on E-bay "ovaries for sale"

[edit on 8-6-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
the strange thing is that the donated ovary has her sister's eggs, which means that the woman who carried this infant to term is not the genetic mother, even though she may have experianced pregnancy and birth. This raises all KINDS of ethical issues...

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by maladjusted
the strange thing is that the donated ovary has her sister's eggs, which means that the woman who carried this infant to term is not the genetic mother, even though she may have experianced pregnancy and birth. This raises all KINDS of ethical issues...

Surrogacy and egg donation both provide further insight to this, and it happens frequently. The embryo might be conceived by the mother and father's sperm and egg, but it's often the father's sperm and the surrogate's egg, and the embryo is implanted. Likewise, it could have been an anonymous egg, sperm, or both. There are ethical issues, yes - but no more than would be present in an adoption scenario. The issue of legal parentage is usually addressed and resolved very early in the process.

Egg donation isn't unheard of - it's becoming more common as we speak.

top topics

join