posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:05 AM
Doesn't look like too inspiring to you all, he?
As he enters in the office Mark sighs...
- Hey Ed, I'm here.
- OK, tell me now, what's going on?
- Look, I don't wanna say who for now, right? But somebody has been telling me that you accused me of spying on others.
- Spying? What spying?
- Yeah, you know, that research on the plastic...
- Yes, for the replacement of glass?
- Yes exactly. So I was told that you spreaded the word that all my results were basically stuff that I stole from you and others.
- What? Hey I could not accuse you of stealing my stuff, could I? We always worked as a team!
- I know, but the reports are signed by me. And that's where the problem is. Somebody told me that you wanted people to know that you did it all, and
that I just signed a thing I had no clue about.
- That's... stupid! And why would I do that by the way?
- To get my job.
Mark is staring at Ed... Getting his job? He doesn't really understand why someone would want him to have Ed's job, leaving his own job vacant. Such
a move can be done only by someone who is actually aiming at his own job, and clearly, nobody he knows of could have it...
- Ed, to get you job! OK... Look, why would I want to have your job? Nobody would replace me there, no? I can't think of anyone, right?
- No, not really, but it feels like you want me out of this place.
- No no, I don't, trust me. I'm quite happy to work with you now.
Ed now looks confused. It feels like somebody is trying to get access to the place.
- Mark, I've been accused of being clueless about my job, you know?
- I understand... Who told you that?
- Well, someone... Look I don't know if I must say it...
- Ed do you realize that we're both in a bad position now? I'm supposed to have been awful to you, and you're supposed to do illegal stuff...
Somebody is doing very bad things here for us...
Ed is totally silent now. He stares at his desk, deeply involved in his thoughts...
- Yeah... Yeah... I'm thinking. You know...
- Can you tell me who?
- It's not someone from here.
- Do I know that person?
- Yeah, yeah... But I don't wanna tell you now.
- OK. Fair enough.
The whole office is quiet now... Mark gets a seat and they're now facing each other. They look at each other, straight in the face, like two statues.
The only thing that can be heard now is the tick of the clock, every second... It is obvious now that they will need to be careful about what they do
and what they say. Someone has been deliberately trying to harm them, and it could have been lasting for some time now...
- Ed, when were you told?
- That's, uh... more than two weeks now, I don't remember exactly.
- Two weeks... Did you talk to anyone about this?
- No. Just you.
- OK. We need to know if someone else knows. I mean here.
- Well, I think that if someone else here knows, we could have problems, you know? Being watched, maybe we... I don't know. You said it was someone
who's not working here right?
- Yeah. I didn't even think that that person would know about that to be honest...
- About what?
- About the fact that I sign all the reports.
- Oh yeah... That's right... That's supposed to be internal no?
- Yeah... That's why I said nothing.
- We have leaks...
Ed stands up, and he looks at his colleague in the eyes. He looks so anxious.
- Leaks... Man!
- Yes Ed. Leaks. How in any other way that would be known?
- Ed, we must be very careful now. Let's move out of here.
- Move out?
- Yes, someone may be hearing this...
- Oh... you mean...
Mark shakes his head in approbation. He stands up and makes Ed a sign to follow him out... They reach the parking and it's dark already. He looks at
his watch: eight o'clock.
- Ed, I think I need to go back home, I promised Mandy not to be long.
- I understand. We will have to discuss this tomorrow.
- Yes. Definitely. What time will you be there?
- Nine? Let's say we meet here at nine?
- Good for me.
- OK then.
They shake hands, and walk to their cars. Everything remains calm, the flag moving a bit with the chilly wind that blows in this evening. The guard at
the gate waves them goodbye as they go out. They both go their way, leaving the place empty.