It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bolton said to Orchestrate Unlawful Dismissal of Arms-Control Chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Candidate for U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, orchestrated the dismissal of the head of a global chemical weapons agency in 2002. A U.N. tribunal has since ruled the dismissal as unlawful. According to Bolton's former deputy and others, the U.S. Undersecretary of State, with British assistance, engineered the dismissal of Jose Bustani as director-general of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), because it was feared Bustani's insistence on sending chemical weapons inspectors to Iraq could undermine the United States WMD allegations against the former Hussein regime.

news.yahoo.com
Bustani, who says he got a "menacing" phone call from Bolton at one point, was removed by a vote of just one-third of member nations at an unusual special session of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), at which the United States cited alleged mismanagement in calling for his ouster.

The United Nations' highest administrative tribunal later condemned the action as an "unacceptable violation" of principles protecting international civil servants. The OPCW session's Swiss chairman now calls it an "unfortunate precedent" and Bustani a "man with merit."

The United States went public with the campaign in March 2002, moving to terminate Bustani's tenure. On the eve of an OPCW Executive Council meeting to consider the U.S. no-confidence motion, Bolton met Bustani in The Hague to seek his resignation, U.S. and OPCW officials said.

When Bustani refused, "Bolton said something like, `Now we'll do it the other way,' and walked out," Rigg recounted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting the timing of this report, as Bolton seeks Senate approval for his ambassadorship to the U.N. this week. I wonder if the AP had this one sitting in the bag and only let it out at a time when it's impact would be greatest.

Regarding the incident itself, I am reminded of the U.S.-engineered dismissal of the U.N. human rights inspector to Afghanistan after his damning reports on the treatment of prisoners in American military bases.

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
abcnews.go.com
www.rednova.com

[edit on 2005/6/4 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
the main reason they ahve no have a vote on bolton is because the Democrats only chance to stop this nomination from becoming a reality is to gather enough evidance til it would be political suicide to confirm the person. So i think this latest evidance probly jsut surface becasue people were finally able to dig deep enough.

Of course it seems the Neo-cons don't care at all what the UN thinks about US policies or its actions internationally

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Didn't the Clintons fire the whole White House travel office?

Bolton is the right man for the job of UN Ambassador.

So what if he allegedly treated subordinate badly, the Clintons treated their subordinates a lot worse.

Even if Bolton was a monster and was the meanest human being on earth, the UN would still deserve him.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sorry carseller, but comparisons to Clinton don't justify anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
No it doesn't, but it does show the hypocracy of the left.

The Clinton's can treat people like doo, but Republicans can't.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
And by your logi, if Republicans used the "Blue slip" policy to block judicial nominees, democrats should be able to use that same method... oh wait... they never did and ahd to use the filibuster instead, never mind.

Would you reather be withthe scum, or rise above the scum? obviously both parties have choosen to wallow in the scum

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well I have been waiting for some prof of Bolton not been the right man for the job, and well even when he was involve on some unlawful dismissal of somebody, I don't think is enough.

Now on a personal matter, I am very good at reading people, and is something about Mr. Bolton that doesn't click with me, when I look at him in the news.

This man has something more in his closet and I have the feeling that is coming to a nearest news media close to you.

Now I maybe wrong occurs.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Marg6043, i think the problem isn't really that the dismissal was considerred unlawfull... but that it was done with the purposes of of removing a barrier to attacking Iraq. Unlawfull deeds are a dime in a dozen, but unlawfull deeds used to accomplish other goals... well, that's another matter.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It's another veil falling in the WMD conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Choosing not to dye your tash whilst dying your hair constitutes gross misconduct
No way should this abomination of hair care be nominated!

[edit on 5/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The big secret is that Bolton is bald and that mop he has on his head is a wig he has been using since the 80s. of course he gets enough kickbacks that he can get the best wigs made out hair taken from former aides he has personally scalped

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
There comes a time when a story should be reviewed based on the author of said story. Apparently, he has a track record of mis-information?
Charles Hanley

Another thing, the story is 'ancient history' regurgitated. Please look at the date of this article:
The US wants to depose the diplomat who could take away its pretext for war with Iraq

All of a sudden, according to Hanley and the AP, it is "new" found evidence/information?

Personally, its hilarious to see that the UN and the Dems are so scared and worried that when, not if, Bolton is approved, that the defuncto UN will now have accountability within its own defuncto ranks. Cleaning house will soon follow.

But despite this 'tidbit' of news from the AP, the AP then runs this:
Biden: Bolton Likely to Win Confirmation

I have no doubts that soon-to-be Ambassador Bolton will not be worrying over how close the margin of victory/confirmation was, but will looking forward to kicking arse and taking names in the UN. Bet.

seekerof

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Seekerof]

top topics

join