It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Report Confirms Abuse Of Quran At Guantanamo Bay (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
In a report released Friday, Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, confirmed incidents of abuse of detainee's Qurans. The cases span a period from 2003 - 2005 and range from a guard kicking the Quran to a detainee and his Quran being sprayed with urine. There were five comfirmed cases of mishandling of the Quran and four that were reported but could not be confirmed.

start.sprint.earthlink.net
The Pentagon on Friday released new details about mishandling of the Quran at the Guantanamo Bay prison for terror suspects, confirming that a soldier deliberately kicked the Muslim holy book and that an interrogator stepped on a Quran and was later fired for "a pattern of unacceptable behavior."

In other confirmed incidents, a guard's urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran; water balloons thrown by prison guards caused an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; and in a confirmed but ambiguous case, a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran.

The findings, released after normal business hours Friday evening, are among the results of an investigation last month by Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center in Cuba, that was triggered by a Newsweek magazine report - later retracted - that a U.S. soldier had flushed one Guantanamo Bay detainee's Quran down a toilet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is no mention of flushing a Quran down a toilet, but this is still not a good report on the treatment of detainees from the War on Terror. Knowing abuse of a prisoner's Holy Book seems to be a deliberate slap in the face and certainly doesn't cause the Muslim world to smile on the U.S. If Muslims treated the Bible similarly, Christians would be outraged.

On the other hand, the report does mention 15 cases of the Quran being mishandled by the detainees themselves. The flushing incident, for example, actually seems to have been an attempt to clog a toilet by a detainee. And as Charles Krauthammer mentioned in a commentary today, Muslims are not beyond bombing worshippers at mosques and shrines, thus destroying the Qurans they are reading. No mention is made of this desecration of the Quran.

On balance, though, I think we should treat the Quran with the reverence the detainees expect. We gave them the books to respect their religion. Turning around and abusing that respect just doesn't seem right.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Koran Flushing & Abuse - Newsweek Retracts, Washington Post Digs Deeper
NEWS: Declassified FBI Records Back Up Newsweek Koran Report

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Question:
The Quran/Koran is mass published is it not?
Hell, with all the fuss being made over it, you would think that there was only one....

seekerof

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
And before someone decides to counter or mis-interpret what I am insinuating, bear this in mind:
Saudis Shred Bibles, Rights Campaigners Claim

Ironic, huh?

seekerof

[edit on 4-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
There are Muslim extremists who actually burn crosses, desecrate bibles, and kill Christians, but there is no outrage from the Christian world, not in the manner that so many Muslims reacted when these accusations came out.

The Bible in Saudi Arabia may get a person killed, arrested, or deported.In September 1993, Sadeq Mallallah, 23, was beheaded in Qateef on a charge of apostasy for owning a Bible. The State Department's annual human rights reports detail the arrest and deportation of many Christian worshipers every year. Just days before Crown Prince Abdullah met President Bush last month, two Christian gatherings were stormed in Riyadh. Bibles and crosses were confiscated, and will be incinerated.
(The Saudi government does not even spare the Quran from desecration.On Oct. 14, 2004, dozens of Saudi men and women carried copies of the Quran as they protested in support of reformers in the capital, Riyadh.Although they carried the Qurans in part to protect themselves from assault by police, they were charged by hundreds of riot police, who stepped on the books with their shoes, according to one of the protesters.)

Excerpted from.
finance.messages.yahoo.com...

Bibles found in the possession of visitors to Saudi Arabia are routinely confiscated by customs officials, and in some cases copies allegedly have been put through a paper shredder, according to religious rights campaigners.

Excerpted from.
news.spirithit.com...

May 29, 2005
Muslim Protestors Burn Cross on Streets of London
From Barnabas Fund, with thanks to Nicolei.

More than 300 Muslim protestors set fire to a wooden cross outside the American Embassy in London last Friday 20th May. The crowd, led by Omar Bakri Muhammad and Yassar al-Siri, were protesting against the alleged desecration of a Qur’an by American military interrogators at Guantanamo Bay. This followed claims by Newsweek magazine that a copy of the Qur’an had been put down a toilet. American and British flags were also burnt, and the protestors chanted calls for violence against the US and UK. Amongst the protestors were about 50 women, some of whom had brought their children.

Excerpted from.
www.jihadwatch.org...

“We all left the church in my car after the meeting to fetch musical instruments and a generator we had left in another part of the town,” Chiazor said. “Just eight minutes after we departed, I was called on the phone [and told] that the church has been set on fire by some Muslims.

“I rushed back to the premises and found the church on fire. The building was completely razed within 40 minutes. Everything we had has been completely burned.”

Chiazor suspects Muslim extremists living in the Hayin Banki neighborhood of perpetrating the attacks.

“From the comments we hear from Muslims in this area, we know that they have resolved to force us out of the area through terrorist acts. We hear them all the time say, ‘You must leave this place. We shall build a mosque on this land where your church is standing.’

Excerpted from.
www.christianfreedom.org...

Somalian Muslims Burning Children Books and Toys in Fear of Christ.
Just what do they fear? - Muslims have been stirred to the streets in protests and burnings over gift boxes sent from around the world. The gift boxes were delivered to Somalia to be handed out to the children stuck in poverty. The hope was to bring a smile and some education to the children. But the Muslim leaders, trained in Saudi Arabia, stirred up the populace with lies claiming that the gifts were an attempt to subvert the children and convert them to Christ.

Excerpted from.
www.thegreatseparation.com...

The only difference is that it seems that most Christian/Catholics do not become extremely violent and start shredding and burning Korans, or mosques.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Isn't that the root of the problem? That people either don't, or don't want to, understand what makes other people upset? I mean, if it's not upsetting to you, why should other people get upset? Is that the gist?

[edit on 4-6-2005 by curme]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

And before someone decides to counter or mis-interpret what I am insinuating, bear this in mind:

Saudis Shred Bibles, Rights Campaigners Claim

Yes that is truly ironic. Apprently it is ok when they do it to a bible but not when you do it to the Koran. What a bunch of hypocrites

[edit on 6/4/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'll bury it under a pig sty...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
How about we bury you under a pig sty which would prevent you buying the Koran which would prevent the reaction from the Muslim world.

Wise up.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the US is moving toward empire which also means, "world babysitter". The world's Muslims are mostly under educated and under paid, so their most valuable possession is their faith. As a result, when the nation who is supposed to be the world's babysitter allows its policemen to urinate on the holy scripture of those billion people, you effectively pee on those people, who have nothing BUT the koran. This causes blowback (bombings). It's not rocket science.

It was predicted decades ago that a war between Christians and Muslims would happen, and we can see it being fomented before our eyes. To me, it's obvious and cunningly subtle at the same time. I do not believe this press about urine-splashed koran is accidental.

Step One: Pee on the Koran.
Step Two: Allow Western civvies to get bombed in nighclub as blowback.
Step Three: Get big tax bills loaded with war-pork dollars.
Step Four: Repeat.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This event seems very strange:

In other confirmed incidents, a guard's urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran

As described in the Hood report, the guard had left his observation post and went outside to urinate. He urinated near an air vent and the wind blew his urine through the vent into the cell block. The incident was not further explained.

mmmmhmmmm....I wonder how often guards piss in the air vents.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The muslims are somewhat hypocrites when it comes to this because they have no respect for anyone else's faith, as evident by their destruction of the buddhist statues or anything else they claim is part of the 'infidels'. Muslims use their religion as a front to fund,arm,and start conflicts. Wise up smallpeeps, you can kiss their ass all day and it's not going to change their mind that your their enemy. Why is it okay to murder someone over a book? If some one pissed on mein kampf and the neo-nazis decides to start killing non-whites because of it, do we say this is justified? nothing justifies takling a human life even if someone pisses on your book. sorry.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
No-one is saying that it's ok to kill someone if you vandalise their holy book. I personally just believe all it's going to cause more problems, not solve any.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Wise up smallpeeps, you can kiss their all day and it's not going to change their mind that your their enemy.

Not kissing anyone's ---, just stating my opinion. My opinion is this: The people at the top want a massive religious war between muslims and jews and christians. They want to make this happen and so this koran urination event serves that goal, as do so many other idiotic events. Even if it never happened, the reporting of it serves the ultimate goal.

Why is it okay to murder someone over a book? If some one pissed on mein kampf and the neo-nazis decides to start killing non-whites because of it, do we say this is justified? nothing justifies takling a human life even if someone pisses on your book. sorry.

The majority of the world's muslims get limited education and every second of their life revolves around obedience to Islamic leaders and rules. Islam keeps them in a religious mental prison, and it teaches them that loyalty to that faith is their only hope while their poverty reinforces that thought daily.

If even just two or three suicide bombers line up due to this report and they are successful at bombing nightclubs, etc, there will be an even more severe effect for countries that rely on tourism. If such events are the result of our koranic mishandling, what will be the guilt of the USA? Are we Americans not supposed to be the civilized, educated masters of the world? How is it that we are stupid enough to allow this to happen? Clearly there is a major intelligence gap between military leaders and the average guy like me, who knows stupidity when he sees it. Are the officers just stretched so thin that they can't tell their charges that peeing on some books is going to cause geopolitical strife?

What you said about Mein Kampf is spurious as only a very small percentage of nazis view it as a religion. You know this, I think. I'm not saying we should make exceptions for muslims, but we shouldn't punish them for being collectively unlearned and easily led.

My point is that uneducated or cult-indoctrinated people are like children and if third-world children get out of hand, one has to point the finger at the first-world nation who is supposed to be the caretaker of civilization. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's what I believe. Islam is a cultish religion who treats apostates and infidels as worthy of death. To pee on their book is to invite them to get angry. When they get angry, the west will get angry. Ask any Netherlander about the Islamic problem. If there's blowback from the koran-peeing incident, the West will polarize itself against the muslim religion.

I'm saying, that's the goal. We are being herded.

top topics

join