It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meth Bust or Entrapment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
49 People Charged in Georgia Meth Bust

Friday, June 03, 2005
AP

Catching Meth Makers Pink-Handed
ATLANTA — Forty-nine people and sixteen corporations were charged in indictments unsealed today with supplying ingredients for making methamphetamine .

The investigation began in early 2004 and focused on convenience stores in six north Georgia counties.

Investigators say they had informants go into each of the stores and buy ingredients used to make methamphetamine. The informants allegedly told the store clerks or store owners that they wanted to use the products to make the drug.

The ingredients sold included pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, camping fuel, antifreeze and matchbooks.

www.foxnews.com...

The government has declared that due to the increase of methamphetamine manufacturing in eastern Tennessee, northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama, a "gray market" has emerged. If locking up low-paid store clerks & owners of establishments from the purchase of legitimate products is what agents are resorting to these days in this war on drugs, it has indeed become an abuse problem itself.

[edit on 3-6-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The agents claim the store owners knew they were selling the ingredients to be used in Meth production, that's aiding in a crime.

I personally think it should be legal to use natural drugs, but cooking up a flammable, explosive, brain destroying intoxicant in your home is a threat to your neighbors. I think meth is the sort of drug that might do a lot less damage if people could buy it in the stores, I don't know.

In any case, I don't think we know the whole story yet, I would like to wait for testimony from the trial before making any judgements. If the store owners were part of a conspiracy to make meth, then they probably deserve some time.

If they were simply selling normal OTC stuff without knowledge, and these rats are lying, then this is a clear case of entrapment and abuse of power.

In my opinion, most of these cases won't ever see trial. The state is probably just making a statement. Not that I appreciate what they're saying, but let's wait and see what comes of it...

join