It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turned off science (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
As battles over evolution rage, many children are showing no interest in Science. Children showing interest in Science may not get the summer job they wanted or the Prom Date. They are afraid if they talk about evolution they may insult close friends or relatives. They are afraid to show any interest whatsoever.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The battle over teaching evolution is raging in communities across the country, but the headlines rarely focus on the “quiet” impact of this controversy.

Science is becoming a political “hot potato” for some students — transforming what should be a dynamic, fascinating topic into a total turn-off. And some students are choosing silence over losing a prom date.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truly sad how we live in a time that children are afraid to show interest in something. If some people didn't take everything personally and be insulted by minor things it might be a little easier to show interest. It also sad how showing interest may make you "unpopular" or may even make it so you couldn't get that job that you wanted really badly.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I think your source is actually an op/ed piece. MSNBC put it in its "Between The Headlines" section. I think this article should be addressed, but more in the op/ed segment of ATSNN, or else in Current Events.

As to it effecting a student's ability to get a prom date, since when have the brainy, scientific minds in high school been the popular kids? Science and math have had a stigma in the schools for a while. If you excel at those, you're a nerd. If you excel at football, you're a popular jock.

I can definately see how this may make for uncomfortable times in social situations, though. Science has been moving into the political battleground, but this is not what science is supposed to be about. Science is simply studying and understanding the world around us. I place the blame for this both on the scientists and politicians. Any time a group of scientists get together and make a political statement (the petition of scientists against President Bush, for example) they, too, politicize their field.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ok well I'm new to submitting so what do I do if I get u2u's stating something is wrong with it?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I thought it was a good story...
for a first try

I voted yes...
it is worthy....

now as to the topic...
lets all be sure to raise more Lambs of God or more accurately...lambs for the slaughter, by teaching them ignorance of the best possible science of the day...
afterall... armageddon is coming tommorow, so why would we need to know worthless things like science.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Good thread, I feel that perhaps the whole idea is to instigate doubts on our young so they stay away from science as a subject of study and even research.

pity.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Make no mistake, I would absloutly vote for it as an op/ed piece. It presents an interesting take on the news from a perspective I hadn't viewed it from before. However, as news, the entire story is a one sided interpretation of events, not reporting the events.

Besides, a little bird told me we may be seeing this as an op/ed article by 9' soon

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The little bird wants to let you know that it would be hus first time on an op/ed like this so it might be hard to get it right but trying is the best thing to do

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Op/Ed submission form is designed only for pieces authored by ATS contributors. It does not have a space for a story url. Op/Eds from exterior organizations should still be submitted via the standard submission form.

top topics

join