It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: U.S. Warns China on Piracy, Open Markets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
While visiting China today U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez called for the country to enforce intellectual property laws, open their markets to U.S. goods, and revalue their currency or face possible sanctions that could hurt the economies of both countries. Many U.S. industries are having difficulties competing against the cheap labor available in China, the artificially low currency, and government subsidies. Last year the U.S. ran a $162 billion trade deficit with China.

www.bloomberg.com
June 2 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez called on China to crack down harder on copyright piracy and open its markets further to U.S. products or risk a protectionist backlash that would hurt both economies.

``The absence of results only empowers those within the U.S. political system who are pushing an American retreat from the global economy,'' Gutierrez said in a speech to the American Chamber of Commerce in Beijing today. ``We need some help here.''

Copying of Microsoft Corp. software, Gillette Co. razor blades and other products contributed to a U.S. trade deficit with China that widened to a record $162 billion last year, according to U.S. data. U.S. lawmakers are debating a law that would impose a 27.5 percent tariff on Chinese imports unless the yuan is revalued and are pushing U.S. President George W. Bush to file a World Trade Organization case over intellectual property.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree China needs to clean up its act and let its currency float in world markets. It also needs to improve the almost slave-like working conditions most workers face and comply with international laws protecting patents and copyrights in order to compete fairly in the world markets.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I like Piracy in China.. I got the Starwars III DVD last week for 10 Yuan... that's like 1.25 USD and the Box set of IV, V & VI for 30 Yuan (BOX SET !!!) That's less than 4 dollars.

So I don't really care if China follows Copyright laws. Do you think the poor people of China shouldn't be allowed to watch DVDs because they can't afford them??? If Chinese people had to pay the prices the USA did, that would be totally Unfair. Keep the pirating going and entertainment flowing to the massess I SAY!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Maybe China could pay them a little more. The goverment makes them poor.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Thats B.S. show me how the Government makes them poor...

Chinese People are Poor because most of them were forced to be farmers by the government. Now they can choose. The point is there is not much choice.

Many companies are still state owned and have laid off many of their workers. When they laid them off the compensated them with between 10 and 80 thousand RMB depending on your job and time served.

Many Foreign companies have moved here as we all know and they don't pay them any better. So it's not just the Government, It's not just National and Foreign Industries as well as Independent bodies, but it's just the condition of living.

You cannot blame the condition of living of East St. Louis or Bethlehem Pennsylvania on the Government, but you can find some reasons as to why t heir living conditions have become the way they are.

And if it is the government's fault, tell me why 30 percent of the population have been able to elevate their living conditions by their own means and buy cars and fashion clothes and DVDs at higher prices for better quality? This is because of China's Economic Reforms of the 1990's and Deng Xiao Ping's additions to Mao's Economic Though and Policies.

So in essence, it is actually the result of the Government that 30 percent of the populations have migrated to and built up successful urban centers.

now what ????

Spit back. snake!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Sounds to me that the US likes trade rules always in our favor. I understand this, but it is very hypocritical of the US government to create an environment of outsourcing jobs overseas - depleting our manufacturing and tech sectors - and then complaining that we can't compete with cheap Chinese labor.

As for piracy, I really don't believe piracy is making Hollywood lose that much. I deal with profit loss on a daily basis due to theft, and I don't go running to the police or government to fix it. I evaluate the weakness and change the way I do things to minimize the vulnerability of being taken advantage of. Why not find a way to tag movies so that they can be identified even through the use of recording with a camcorder, tighten security and make distributors and theaters liable for the copies they get and show??

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Isnt this the equivalent of "if you dont play nice im taking my ball and going home"?

I would stand behind the American position here 100% if Bush himself didnt try and wipe my adopted countries, Australia's, steel industry out with his protectionist tarrifs and subsidies for U.S steel companies.

Bush has also nearly faced EU sanctions for the same thing which ended up seeing tariffs being put on Florida oranges coming to Europe.

Now the EU has renewed its WTO case against the U.S government for helping Boeing financially when the U.S brought a WTO case against Europe for helping Airbus.

My point I suppose is that the United States economic practices are far from angelic. Threatening China with an economic calamity if it doesnt do exactly as they say is a bit sad.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
One thing to consider about piracy is that many on these pirates were not viable members of the buyer's market. Some people will pirate copyrighted material even though they can afford to buy an original, but I suspect that's not the case for the majority. I could be wrong, I'll admit that. But I do think the impact that software, music and movie piracy has on the industry as a whole is hyped up more than it should be. I've spoken to several people who download or pirate things who would willingly buy many of these things if they weren't so overpriced. Perhaps they only serve to perpetuate the problem. Who knows?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So China engages in economic warfare while goading it's North Korean cats-paw to stir up things militarily.

China is currently one of the (or possibly now THE) largest purchasers of steel and concrete in the world.

To put blame on the US for "protectionist tariffs" for a failing non-American industry is like blacksmiths and horseshoe makers for blaming the government for not supppressing Henry Ford. US policies have no effect on China's buying. Can't blame the US on everything, but it never hurts to try. US consumption of foreign steel is waay down the list.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
China has the widest gap between the Rich and the poor. China is able to produce things at a cheaper price in part because they do not pay for software and other licenses. China rips of more technology than all of the other countries combined.

Calling China's huge population "arguably the greatest natural resource on the planet," Fishman details how hundreds of millions of peasants have migrated from rural to urban areas to find manufacturing jobs, providing an unlimited, low-wage workforce to power China's economy. In the process, this shift has changed both Chinese culture and the global business climate in significant ways. Simply put, American companies can't compete with wages as low as 25 cents an hour and lack of regulation and oversight, so are forced to move their operations to China or completely change the focus of their business. And it's not just a problem for the U.S.--even Mexico is outsourcing to China. Though it remains to be seen whether this will truly be the "Chinese Century" as Fishman asserts, China, Inc. is a brisk and informative look at why so many American corporations, and American jobs, are heading to China
Article

[edit on 3-6-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think China should say they will agree when the US complies to all international law and treaties.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
25 cents an hour lol, that is a bit too low, shouldn't the workers protest by now!!! they should be at least be able to make 1 dollar an hour. man, their workforce are killing americans. 400,000 americans(i think, not sure) lost their jobs just this year... someone better dd something about it before we all die.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
ulshadow, there are millions of chinese in the rural areas that are moving to the bigger cities for jobs which in turn keeps the wages low. I think it will be a long time before there wages go up.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
ulshadow, there are millions of chinese in the rural areas that are moving to the bigger cities for jobs which in turn keeps the wages low. I think it will be a long time before there wages go up.

since there Economy is growing fast, and country is getting richer, the people will demand higher wages... don't you think so?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Supply and demand. There are somewhere around 1.3 to 1.7 billion people in china. A high percentage of them our unemployed. It will take years before they have more jobs than able bodies to work them. If you have 10 people per job opening wages are not going to go up.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
US: STOP PIRATING OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY TO MAKE CHEAP GOODS!!! OH...AND STOP YOUR HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSE!!!

CHINA:

US: Now here. Take all our money for your cheap goods and please finance our masive federal debt. we'll even export half of our manufacturing jobs to your country too so you can use slave labor and save us some money.

CHINA:

Money talks louder than words.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Delta 38
lol

that was funny.
Money is power, but sooner or later it will break... paper money will become useless

top topics

join