It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Like aggregating" condoms.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I had a look around for something on this in ATS but couldn't find anything, I thought I would have. It was discovered in '96 but I must admit I hadn't heard of it til I stumbled across it earlier today.

Vast Condom Horror in Pacific
30-May-2005

A huge floating reef made up of millions of disposed condoms has been discovered in the mid Pacific. The condom mass is two miles long, up to sixty feet deep, and in places so tightly compressed that a small plane could be landed on it.

That is from Here

Is this true? Is it common knowlwedge? I have found it elsewhere but not on news or science sites per se. I would have thought something like this would be reported somewhere (with all due respect to Mr Strieber).

Assuming I haven't been duped here, there must be billions of rubbers in this reef. Imagine, right now there are probably millions more slowly making their way toward it from all over the world's oceans. Like a huge colony of ants slowly "like aggregating" their way back to the nest.

Will condoms one day come with a little transmitter in them so that scientists can track the migratory paths of the little beasties?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I go 3 months without checking Striebers site and this is what I miss?

Well, I haven't heard of this before and will do further research. This is quite odd. Very odd.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Can't be a good thing. Not to mention the whole "Yuk!" factor.

Does it mean that somewhere there is a huge reef of tyres, somewhere else one of gumboots and somewhere else whatever else isn't biodegradable? Each item "like aggregating" to their chosen spot in the ocean. Not really a good thought.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
ha ha ha ha!
they should put the condoms in a huge metal box and have them sink into the bottom of the ocean.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
maybe one day this will be some huge island,a slippery one though.they could possibly turn it into a resort destination.

[edit on 31-5-2005 by TahoeSkiBum]

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Harvest them for recycling. A quick rinse and use them again. It's the environmental thing to do.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well, i am not sure if this "reef of condoms" exists, but yes, there is a phenomenon known as "like aggregation" in which for some reason there is an accumulation of like substances that brings them together.

This would be like the accumulation which forms dust bunnies, in houses, deserts, and not only on Earth, but even on other planets. Cat/dog hair which cats and dogs shed all over a house yet somehow they end up, after a while, as balls of hair is also an example of this phenomenon. The same happens to human hair, althou this phenomenon does exists I am not ready yet to believe that there is a "reef of condoms that large anywhere on the planet."

We need corroboration for this....

Anyone wants to go hunting this reef of condoms?

[edit on 31-5-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I fully agree. So far I haven't found anything other than the original story or links to it. Surely this would be pretty well known if true. If it is true why is it such an obscure bit of info? Very strange.

They give the lat. and long., so maybe we can start up an ATS expedition in seach of Condom Island lol.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by whita]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hmmm...

I cant seem to find anything to back up this claim (think it is probably a hoax) but did find this condom related story...

www.wkyc.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

We need corroboration for this....

Anyone wants to go hunting this reef of condoms?

[edit on 31-5-2005 by Muaddib]

Would sperm whales be found there????
[Bad joke -- bad! bad!]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There is plenty about this reef on Google, for example this link.

I cannot exclude the possibility of a hoax, though.

top topics

join