It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney offended by Amnesty criticism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Cheney's feelings has gotten hurt with so many allegations of abuse, he said that he will not take seriously anybody that talks bad about the US and it's treatment of prisoners of the war on terror.

Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he was offended by Amnesty International's condemnation of the United States for what it called "serious human rights violations" at Guantanamo Bay.

I guess the pressure is on our political leaders and they are feeling the heat.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 30-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hey Marge, isnt that what China said after we criticized the?
Oh the irony.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hey....I guess is ok when US does the critism against violation of human rights but when the heat is on our government and it's leaders it tents to hurt their delicated feelings.

How dare them to even hint that the US is violating anybody's rigth including the "terrorist"

Cheney said they have been treated well.
"taking in consideration that they are terrorist" Right?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Poor Dick, you can hear his black heart breaking.

When will the world learn that Americas torture camps are for the GOOD of the world! Damn those human rights watch groups, when will they start thinking of the feelings of those Business Men in the Whitehouse rather than the cab driver in the cage??

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I am offended that Dick Cheney claims to be part of the same species as me.

I call for him to retract his feigned offence and to make a more concerted effort to become human.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Evil Dick. In other words, he wants no more talk, and this is a warning to the media and the public and the world...talk if you dare.....

Dick:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
Poor Dick, you can hear his black heart breaking.

When will the world learn that Americas torture camps are for the GOOD of the world! Damn those human rights watch groups, when will they start thinking of the feelings of those Business Men in the Whitehouse rather than the cab driver in the cage??

You have voted TheShroudOfMemphis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month

Not to mention the very fac that the US is occupying Guantannamo is illegal... And even if it wasn't, the very fact that the US denys the occupants the rights that the government has gone to war over, clearly demonstrates the complete hipocracy of the US government - or should I say US Aristocracy...

The right to a quick and speedy trial and the right to an attorney - wheres the justice... The people who have been detained in Guantannamo aren't even charged with anything... They are just in there, slowly dieing - day by day - and the majority dont even know why they are there...

Its the same with Australias notorious Baxter Detention Centre

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have a hard time feeling patriotic when my government is comprised of hypocrites and liars.

I love America, I just don't like the gummint.

There are a few occasions when I agree with the hardcore left, and this is one of them. We can't go around torturing people, then condemn other countries for doing so and invade them.

Isn't it sad when you don't want to put a flag on your vehicle because you might be mistaken for a neocon?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If is one thing that I dislike the most is arrogance, and that is something that our government officials have in abundant.

It's hard to separate ourselves from our politicians, most American people have good harts and have goods intentions when it comes to the rest of the world.

But when the world's opinion of America is influenced by our politicians actions we are seen as bad as them.

Because we elected our political leaders, we must agree with what they do and that is what the rest of the world thinks of us.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by marg6043]

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
If is one thing that I dislike the most is arrogance, and that is something that our government officials have in abundant.

It's hard to separate ourself from our politicians, most American people have good harts and have goods intentions when it comes to the rest of the world.

But when the world's opinion of America is influenced by our politicians actions we are seen as bad as them.

Because we elected our political leaders, we must agree with what they do and that is what the rest of the world thinks of us.

I agree completely.

Thing of it is, politicians promise to do this and that and get elected. Then the first thing they do when they're in office is break their promises and pursue their own agendas.

Another problem is, you can vote a crook out, but there are plenty more where that one came from!

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
[...]
It's hard to separate ourselves from our politicians, most American people have good harts and have goods intentions when it comes to the rest of the world.

You are completely incorrect - I think that the rest of the world merely perceives the average American as lazy and ignorant - Not, evil and malicious like their government... I am probably one of the people who come accross as one of the most anti-American - When in reality I am merely anti-Capitalism and anti-US Government...

But I will strongly agree that the average American person finds it incredibley hard (for some reason) to dis-associate themselves from their government... So then you have people like edsinger who have no idea whats what... I see the American people as the people of Martin Luther King, something which your own government tries to convince you against...

There is no point complaining about it all the time... You have to take a stand, merely voting once every 4 years is NOT democracy... Taking control for yourself (as in the workers) is TRUE democracy... The lies and fallacies your government spills cannot and should not be tollerated... Do something about it...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Not to mention the very fac that the US is occupying Guantannamo is illegal... And even if it wasn't, the very fact that the US denys the occupants the rights that the government has gone to war over, clearly demonstrates the complete hipocracy of the US government - or should I say US Aristocracy...

The right to a quick and speedy trial and the right to an attorney - wheres the justice... The people who have been detained in Guantannamo aren't even charged with anything... They are just in there, slowly dieing - day by day - and the majority dont even know why they are there...

The occupation of guantanamo bay is not illegal as 1) im not sure of the year but there was a deal with cuba that was understood as indefinate rental of the land from cuba. 2) the U.S. pays each year money to mr. castro
of course castro doesnt cash the checks, but who's fault is that? www.nsgtmo.navy.mil...

The right to a speedy trial is an american right and last time i checked there were no american prisoners at guantanamo bay. you cant give american rights to non american citizens, they technically are not eligible for POW status under the geneva convention either.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
The occupation of guantanamo bay is not illegal as 1) im not sure of the year but there was a deal with cuba that was understood as indefinate rental of the land from cuba. 2) the U.S. pays each year money to mr. castro
of course castro doesnt cash the checks, but who's fault is that? www.nsgtmo.navy.mil...

The right to a speedy trial is an american right and last time i checked there were no american prisoners at guantanamo bay. you cant give american rights to non american citizens, they technically are not eligible for POW status under the geneva convention either.

The US got a lease from Batistas government back in the 1930's and they pay $12,000 (US) a year rent... Now in the 60's Castros revolutionary government came into power, the deal was with Batista - not Castro - it is illegal... Not to mention Castro has asked a number of times for the US to leave, but think about it; what can tiny Cuba actually DO about... And the reason Castro DOESN'T cash the cheques, is because its dirty and illegal money, and Castro is a man of itegrity (unlike almost every modern US president).

AND... Guantannamo was leased to the US as an AIRBASE - Not a barely legal detention centre...

And (technically) Guantannamo is US Soil - thus anyone on it, is elligble to the rights of the US constitution and judicial system... That would be like a US citizen being tortured in North Korea - but its in North Korea - so its legal?

Again, its the same old story, of one set of rules for the big guy, and another for the little guy...

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Reading the "Handbook to Higher Consciousness," I found an excellent passage that said "He who gives offense or takes offense only adds to the suffering of the world."

Who gave offense? Who took offense? Well everyone here go figure.

new topics

top topics

join