It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military's magic pill to replace food, burn fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

U.S. military researchers are working on a powerful new weapon that could soon fall into civilian hands: a drug that would allow people to go safely without food for nearly a week at a time.

The metabolic dominance program's vision is to help those fighting a war to operate at "superior" levels of physical and mental performance for three to five days, 24 hours a day, "without the need for calories."

DARPA, the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, has given scientists until the end of March to submit proposals for new ways to make food dispensable. The most ambitious goal for this "operational dominance" is to artificially manipulate the human body's metabolism and find ways to better access energy-rich fat stores.

In other words, a potential pill that would burn up fat -- without gobbling up muscle as an energy source -- during prolonged periods of self-starvation, without affecting vital fuel supplies to the brain.

People have to work exceedingly hard to get into their fat stores. Even male athletes who want to get their percentage of body fat down from, for example, 21 per cent to 18 per cent, "have to exercise aerobically for at least half an hour before you start accessing fat stores," says Dent, medical director of the Ottawa Hospital's Weight Management Clinic. And while humans can go a month without food, "we don't function at peak performance."

Numerous drugs have been developed in conjunction with U.S. army researchers, including "wake-promoting" agents, pills that essentially eliminate the need for sleep for days.

Now, the Pentagon's quest to make soldiers function without food could lead to "grunts who are pretty much immune to normal human demands," reports Wired magazine.

Full article...

Hmmmm......if successful, there's every chance that this anti-food pill could become the latest "lifestyle" drug, a quick fix to puncture world's ever-expanding girth.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i want some of those pills i need a boomerang to put my belt on

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
surely this cant be healthy if your already super fit and have minimal body fat to begin with.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i have a thread on this here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

-koji K.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I barely have any fat to burn.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I barely have any fat to burn.

then dont take the pill
and lend yours to zakattack who seems to really need them

[edit on 1-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
On the street they call this drug crank, tweek and speed.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
With this, the next thing u see in U.S military is everyone fat before going to war. And extra-thin when come back.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Two bits says athletes get the super pills first if in fact they can be made at all. If they rev the metabolism up that much won't water be a problem?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
On the street they call this drug crank, tweek and speed.

Maybe to stay awake. But speed doesn't burn fat. It wastes your muscles.

new topics

top topics

join